U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:29 PM

149 posts, read 643,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borocat View Post
Seven years ago I made a plan to travel to all the spring baseball training camps in FL. I was able to accomplish that and along the way found the place I liked the best. While this did not allow me to see some of the state (most notably the panhandle and Jacksonville which I was able to see through my work) it allowed me to see a great majority of it. My plans allowed me to stay off the major 4 lane highways most of the time and travel the Florida state highways and county highways. Doing this I saw a lot to like about the state and encountered a lot of really nice people in all areas.

I decided that my favorite place was the Melbourne/Indialantic/Satellite Beach area. Family oriented, educated populace, not too big, not too small.

My least favorite areas were Orlando (east coast LA) and Ft. Lauderdale. Both offer too much traffic, too many people.

We are moving to the Satellite Beach area in March. What baseball training camp is there? I know the Mets are in Port St Lucie.

Prodromos Borboroglu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 03:01 PM

121 posts, read 716,206 times
Default Compared to what you already know

Being a Sox fan I am assuming you know Mass. I lived in Lincoln, MA right on Concord Rd, and I could walk through the woods to Walden Pond from the back yard. So I lived there, which is one of the sweetest towns in MA. First off there is nothing like Concord or Lincoln in Florida. That having been said there are similarities with other towns in Florida to certain towns in MA. I live outside Fernandina Beach on a salt marsh. Where I live, the landscape is like, well, Hingham or Cohassett. Tidal inland marshes and estuaries. (here is a pic from my studio under construction :
Lanceford Creek on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archi_tect_us/435568204/ - broken link) )

The town of Fernandina Beach is located on Amelia Island. The central part of Fernandina Beach is old and restored to the 9's. The quality is akin to Edgartown on the Vineyard, but it is much more alive as a town/sidewalk experience. Centre Street FB 011 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archi_tect_us/515403892/ - broken link) The activity level of the town is closer to that of Lexington, MA, which has a lot of people on the sidewalk... Like Edgartown, the end of the main street terminates at the marina/yacht basin. The town has the requisite court house, a magnificent old post office likened to a Renaissance Palazzo, many shops, wide sidewalks, cafes, a very good library, many restaurants and a very friendly small town atmosphere. The Palace Saloon, with a tremendous old carved wood bar with caryatids (females carrying the bar structure), it is the oldest saloon in Florida...It also has the ocean at the eastern end of the main street. Nearby to the north is the National Wilderness Seashore on Cumberland Island. To the south, the Talbot Islands, completely preserved islands, uninhabited, with deserted beaches: DSCN0010 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archi_tect_us/432237787/ - broken link), and to the west the wilderness of the Okefenokee Swamp. This area is very special. The closest thing to it on the southern seaboard is Beaufort, SC, which is a very special town.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 PM

384 posts, read 220,208 times
I decided that my favorite place was the Melbourne/Indialantic/Satellite Beach area. Family oriented, educated populace, not too big, not too small.

Now ya talking,I spend nearly a year traveling to Fl looking just the right place,I found it in West Melbourne.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 PM

41 posts, read 137,461 times
miami beach is the best by far, and then fort lauderdale and west palm beach, best beaches and a lot of things to do, i love living in miami beach, if you dont think miami's the best then somethings gotta be wrong with you people

Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,906,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastic hustla View Post
miami beach is the best by far, and then fort lauderdale and west palm beach, best beaches and a lot of things to do, i love living in miami beach, if you dont think miami's the best then somethings gotta be wrong with you people
Best beaches?

Have you actually been to the West coast or the Panhandle of Florida? I don't know how you could, if you think the beaches in Miami are nicer.

They don't even come close.

And I hate Miami. Guess there is something wrong with me, eh?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,408,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan34 View Post
I've seen the negativity that many have about the state of Florida based on posts and conversations with residents. I was just curious of what everyone thinks the worst town/city is in the state of Florida and the reason why you feel this way. Also I would like to know what you think the best town is.

Thanks
Miami the worst, Tallahassee area the best.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,351,538 times
I havent been to every place in the state but IMO some of the worst are Fort myers, Florida city, homestead, St cloud, kennansville, opa locka, some parts of miami, jacksonville.

Some of the better places Cocoa beach, melbourne, ST pete, Treasure Island, mediera beach, south tampa some parts of the orlando metro.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 PM

61 posts, read 247,082 times
The Jupiter area is hard to beat. Clean, not tooo crowded. Good jobs.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM

582 posts, read 1,829,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHMullane View Post
The Jupiter area is hard to beat. Clean, not tooo crowded. Good jobs.
what's better jupiter or melbourne?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,271,305 times
Navarre is my first choice, relaxed and friendly. Second choice St Augustine, great place....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or