U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM

41 posts, read 137,406 times

Advertisements

navarre how boring, south florida's the best i can care less about the rest of the state, im from NYC so i hate southern people and i hate when theres no crowds. so the panhandle is really boring to me and to cold for florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:43 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,265,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastic hustla View Post
navarre how boring, south florida's the best i can care less about the rest of the state, im from NYC so i hate southern people and i hate when theres no crowds. so the panhandle is really boring to me and to cold for florida
A matter of opinions, respect yours. But I rather keep the peace and relax atmosphere of our area....

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 27,176 times
How is Pensacola and the immediate metropolitan area?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,997 times
Smile Best/Worst of Florida

Depends on your personality and tolerance of traffic. Many of the Florida Metro areas are as bad as California for traffic...anything along I-4 or the southern portion of I-95, for example. Recent 70 car pileup on I-4 WEST of Disney kinda underlines that. I-75 from Fort Myers to Naples is just as bad, with frequent closures due to wrecks.
Personally, I like the semi-tropical SW Florida, particularly Cape Coral. Not too many jobs in the Cape, so younger families need to have something lined up in the Cape or Fort Myers before moving. But, if you are not depending on a big-paying job, the Cape is relatively quiet & lots of boating, fishing, golf, etc. The better known and older Fort Myers is just across the river. Fort Myers is much smaller than the Cape, both in area and in population, but it has more industry and commercial enterprise. (Spelled: J-O-B-S). Florida Gulf Coast University, Ave Maria University, University of South Florida and Edison Community College are all in the area.
Since the Florida housing bust in 2005, some of the overflow from Miami seeking cheap rentals has also brought some Miami type lifestyle issues to both Cape Coral and Fort Myers. Not to condem Miami people, most of whom are great neighbors. Definitely something to keep in mind, though, as you look for housing.... check out your potential neighbors and make sure you are happy with them. Most of the Cape neighborhoods are pretty good, but it only takes one bad apple.....as in any city. Rentals abound at low rates, so renting for 6 months before buying is a good plan. Get to know the area!
The Cape is something like 110 square miles (with only 150,000 people) and has some major differences in the four quadrants. With something like 550 miles of canals, there are many waterfront homes; some homes on freshwater canals or lakes and some homes on saltwater canals. The waterfront homes have a nice view and some additional privacy, since there is no neighbor behind. Just don't buy a waterfront home and then go out and yell at the boaters.... some do and it isn't pretty. Ditto for golf course homes.... yelling at the golfers seems to be a favorite occupation for some of the (ignorant?) homeowners. Schools of all levels are scattered throughout the Cape, including a very good tech school system. City Parks are scattered all over, including soccer and baseball fields. A major hospital (associated with several large Fort Myers hospitals) is on an eastern corridor, with satellite facilites scattered about.
The SE quadrant of the city is well established, and is probably about 95% built-out. So here you are looking mostly at resale homes, many of them on waterfronts with access to the Gulf of Mexico. You would have city water, city sewer and re-cycled water for your lawn. That is huge in Florida where water is getting to be scarce. Main thing to look at here is the roof...South Florida roofs only last about 15-18 years, despite the 25 year "warranty", and a shot roof is a big problem with the tropical rains. The SE has many of the biggest established churches and a large share of the city's services and restaurants.
The SW quadrant of the city is newer and has many homes in the $500K to $1.5 million category. Also has saltwater canals, but in general, access to the Gulf involves longer cruise and sometimes low bridge issues. You need to check this out carefully before buying. Not every boater wants to go out on the Gulf, so maybe this is not an issue for you. City water and sewer are generally available, but check to see if assessments have been paid, as these municipal projects are recent. Density here is a little lower, with a pretty fair number of vacant lots available. By the way, most of these Cape Coral lots are "platted", meaning that they are essentially ready for building a house, with some additional site work.
The NE quadrant is mostly VERY new, most of the homes built during the recent building boom. Many bank-owned empty homes in this area as speculators failed to sell in time. Mostly starter homes (3/2/2 with 1700 sq ft is typical). Nearly all on well and septic. No plans from the city to expand utilities into this area at present (you can check on www.CapeCoral.org (broken link) for very good detailed information on this and many other topics of interest. Homes in this area are a great bargain right now...many recent construction at $150,000 or less. Handyman specials abound. By the way, the well water in the Cape is not great...investigate installing a whole-house Reverse Osmosis system, which works GREAT. I have one! The NE quadrant has perhaps the easiest commute over to Fort Myers and utilizes the FREE bridge (vs the mid-point and south bridges which have a $2 toll for the return only). The NE is the best place to look for a young working family looking for a bargain home.
The NW quadrant, where I live, is very new and has a mixture of inexpensive and very expensive homes. The Western Half of this NW quadrant is on saltwater canals and the Eastern half is on freshwater canals. Of course, not all of the homes are on canals. I live on the Coral Oaks Golf Course, which is a city-owned operation. Very quiet and beautiful, with lots of "critters", including our resident Sand-Hill Cranes and wintering Eagles. In this area, the downside is that it takes about 20 minutes to get to the bridges over to Fort Myers, so this would not be a good place to start a daily commute. Density in the NW is low, with perhaps only 15% of the lots built out. So on a typical city block, you might have only a few neighbors. City streets are paved and maintained by the City, although sometimes they require a little prompting. Almost All homes in the NW are on well and septic, although a few homes have gotten city water as special purpose lines are run for projects. The city plans to run water lines in this area, but not soon.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,997 times
Smile Mastic Hustla HATES southerners and quiet......

I think you need to focus on metro Miami.... every other place in Florida has a liberal sprinkling of southerners. Just can't keep them out. It's Miami or Grits! Or maybe just stay in NYC where you will be happy.
Gator

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 12,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan34 View Post
I was just asking for the best and worst cities based on your opinions and experiences. The city you live in may not suit me, but I was just curious to see what kind of positive or negative experiences you may have encountered in your city and other cities around the state. If you live in Pine Hills for example (yeah I know Crime Hills) and have never been south of Tampa or North of Orlando, then it's alright to jump to conclusions on this thread that Pine Hills is the worst place to live due to constant crime. This thread is only out of curiosity and to pick up opinions.

Sorry for the confusion
Lakeland is NOT were you want to be if your a Red Sox fan... Fort Myers has hosted the Sox's spring training for the past several years.. Lakeland is over 2 hours from the park. I believe the Cleveland Indians is in the Winterhaven / Lakeland.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
AWP

3 posts, read 10,128 times
Default Hate snow

Any feedback about Vieria?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 PM

39 posts, read 104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadet27 View Post
Lakeland is NOT were you want to be if your a Red Sox fan... Fort Myers has hosted the Sox's spring training for the past several years.. Lakeland is over 2 hours from the park. I believe the Cleveland Indians is in the Winterhaven / Lakeland.
There are Red Sox fans in FLorida?? Oi Vey!!
Maybe need to rethink staying in NY...
he heh heh
Oh gosh I just love Posada.. he reminds me of my own son when he was catcher for years growing up.
LOVE THOSE YANKEES!!!!
ok.. I've thread jacked.. but I"m a yankee fan..

Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,929 times
Default Worst so far

I am on vacation in Florida as I'm writing this, and am in Naples, so far the worst! No alcohol allowed on the beaches, and costs 25 cents for every 10minutes you park at the beach, also no beverages allowed in or around the pool at the duplex I'm staying at, and it's rained every single day I've been here, I have been driving to ft. Meyers every day for the fun. I even got a ticket while here and went to the city hall to pay it and there was a line of people complaining that they don't post proper rules they just hand out tickets THIS PLACE SUCKS!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM

494 posts, read 881,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbey1971 View Post
I am on vacation in Florida as I'm writing this, and am in Naples, so far the worst! No alcohol allowed on the beaches, and costs 25 cents for every 10minutes you park at the beach, also no beverages allowed in or around the pool at the duplex I'm staying at, and it's rained every single day I've been here, I have been driving to ft. Meyers every day for the fun. I even got a ticket while here and went to the city hall to pay it and there was a line of people complaining that they don't post proper rules they just hand out tickets THIS PLACE SUCKS!

Sunset on the Gulf of Mexico from a Naples-area beach park: Worst/Best Towns in Florida?-gulfsunset.jpg

Twenty-five cents for 10 minutes of this??? Agreed--major ripoff!

So here's a link to a non-beach-things-to-do-in-Naples thread. (For anything you decide to do in Naples, I suggest calling first--some things may be seasonal or have different non-season hours. As you probably know, it's off-season here now.)

Fun "land" activities in Naples

But if the rain stops, give the beach another change (it grows on you, really).

Hope your vacation gets better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or