U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,233,485 times

Advertisements

Do we have any local stands or restaurants that have a Florida hot dog that will compete with the NY or Chicago hot dogs.

Do you prefer the boiled or grilled hot dogs? or do you like the menu?

Original Hot Dog
Choice of Ketchup, Mustard, Relish & Onions

Chili Dog
Chili, Mustard & Onions

Chicago Dog
Mustard, Sweet Relish, Onions Tomato, Dill Pickle, Sport Peppers, Celery Salt & Poppy Seed bun

New York Dog
Spicy Mustard & Red Onion Sauce
My favorite

Memphis Dog
Red Onion Sauce & BBQ Sauce

San Antonio Dog
Chili, Cheddar Cheese, Bacon, Onion & Jalapeno

Orlando Dog
Ketchup, Mustard & Dill Pickle Spear

Philly Dog
Cheddar Cheese, Grilled Peppers & Onions

Atlanta Slaw Dog
With Homestyle Coleslaw

Virginia Beach Chili Cheese Dog
Hearty chili & Wisconsin Cheese

Boston Dog
Spicy Mustard & Sauerkraut

Miami Dog
Mild Miami Salsa & Cheddar Cheese

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/sunrico90/stand.jpg?t=1195611658 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Do we have any local stands or restaurants that have a Florida hot dog that will compete with the NY or Chicago hot dogs.
Great thread idea .

The restaurant by the beach in Dania Beach makes a Chicago-style dog.

Dania Beach Bar & Grill - At The Grill

Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 756,272 times
The key to the "style" of dog is the dog itself, not the toppings.
I would much rather have a totally bare with mustard Vienna (Chicago) or Nathans (New York) than a 'processed meat product' dog with all the trimmings.

Happiness is a well done Chicago Dog.

For those in St. Augustine, there is a FANTASTIC dog place in Hazels Hot Dogs.
As a Chicago reverse transplant (from Florida to Chicago) who views my dogs much like a clergyman views his scripture, I can say with full confidence that Hazels could compete anywhere.
Their home made fries are great, too.

If anyones flying through St. Aug, they're right on US1 before you hit the SR16 intersection.
To dog devotees coming I95, it's only a 6 mile diversion off the interstate- I95 to the 318 exit, head east on SR16 to the US1/312 intersection. Make a right south on US1, within a few blocks, Hazels Hot Dogs will be on US1 on your left hand side.
Worth it.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,185,161 times
I like Doc's Dairy Bar in Delray Beach. Great old time dog place. Right on Atlantic Ave.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
The key to the "style" of dog is the dog itself, not the toppings.
I would much rather have a totally bare with mustard Vienna (Chicago) or Nathans (New York) than a 'processed meat product' dog with all the trimmings.

Happiness is a well done Chicago Dog.

For those in St. Augustine, there is a FANTASTIC dog place in Hazels Hot Dogs.
As a Chicago reverse transplant (from Florida to Chicago) who views my dogs much like a clergyman views his scripture, I can say with full confidence that Hazels could compete anywhere.
Their home made fries are great, too.

If anyones flying through St. Aug, they're right on US1 before you hit the SR16 intersection.
To dog devotees coming I95, it's only a 6 mile diversion off the interstate- I95 to the 318 exit, head east on SR16 to the US1/312 intersection. Make a right south on US1, within a few blocks, Hazels Hot Dogs will be on US1 on your left hand side.
Worth it.
You know what is funny about hot dogs is, some of the cheaper dogs are the best. I used to have a steamer and steamed dogs in beer and my customers loved them and I sold a couple hundred dogs a day, I was taking in like $300.00 a day just on hot-dogs. Then I thought I would go with something special and I switched to the Vienna all meat dogs.

I got the fancy seeded buns the whole deal. The customers hated them and in two weeks the sales were down to almost nothing. What I learned was the dogs with the pork and cereal blend that plump up and are real juicy are the best. People will gobble them down like they are going out of style.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 PM

1,258 posts, read 3,267,590 times
Arbetter's hot dogs in Miami on Bird rd and 87th ave are pretty popular but they're the total opposite of a Nathan's dog as they don't have the snap when you bite into them.I don't dislike them but I don't love them and I probably still go there more for their cheese fries rather than their hot dogs.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:19 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,903,319 times
"Dese are da best"

Old 11-22-2007, 11:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,903,319 times
Start in New Jersey then Fed Ex to Fla. They may have started as New Jersey dawgs, but they are now Florida Dogs

I likem better when walking along in NYC. However I do have a bunch fedexed in once or twice a year like you see above. So in NYC that would be "dirty dogs" and they're boiled. I like mine with some mustard but maybe 3 dogs, 2 w/mustard and another with ketchup. I like em the same way at home although sometimes I'll put a few on the grill. We make a great potato salad. Yum!

Now Pizza's are another story. I knew a guy in South Jersey who made the greatest pizza's. Super thin dough so it was necessary to fold the slice....then when you took a bite the oil would sometimes run down your hand. Man were they great pizza pies. He only charged 5 bucks for a large pie. This was about 18 years ago and I was working for a big company in Dallas. I had 5 pizza's come in via Fed Ex for a meeting we were having. Fed ex cost 25 bucks so the whole deal was 50 dollars, 5 large super excellent jersey pizza pies....in Dallas Texas. The fellow is no longer in business or else I'd definitely be having pizza like that flown in. Pizza around here is, er, ................unfortunate. That's a good word for it.

There's one place, on Peachtree that's good but not hardly what I described above. Then another place in the publix mall on veterans. Good sauce and they advertise a thin pizza but I think that deep down inside they REALLY think that thin means thick.

None of the others are even worth mentioning really.

Don't even get me started critiquing Asian restarants around these parts.

Last edited by MrTudo; 11-22-2007 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,725,463 times
I had never heard of a Slaw Dog until I stopped at a family run ice cream/hot dog place in New Smyrna Beach, they are wonderful.

Personally, I only eat Hebrew National or Nathans hot dogs, what I put on them depends on my mood. Sometimes I like a little ***** and mustard, sometimes just the ketchup, mustard and mayo.

I prefer mine grilled rather then boiled.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,337,861 times
Downtown orlando has a place called Detroit joes on orange ave near the court house. Very good dogs

I don`t know if it counts as a florida dog because its Detroit style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or