Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:46 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post

Vero, you obviously love your state and town. Once again, however, you are looking at the value of your state strictly through the climate. Retirees move/moved to Florida for its value, and yes, its environment. The environment has been greatly altered the past ten years (over and uncontrolled construction, the hurricanes, etc.) and the value of living here is gone and ridiculously out of reach for the average individual (undervalued employees; astronomical housing costs, insurance costs, etc.).

You may want to compare the plight of Florida as being similar to other states, but the recession in your state probably started years before most of the others. From an outsider's point of view (who would love to be retiring to Florida's climate), I do not believe that you recognize the severity and depth of your state's issues.
After a while, it's not about the beach and the weather so much. For most people, there needs to be something beyond that.

For someone wanting to retire to Florida today, I agree, it is not the bargain of years past. I don't think there will be any dramatic changes in that regard. Houses in Jacksonville that could be picked up for $50k 10 years ago now cost $150k - I don't think we'll ever see them at $50k again.

I love the climate here, it makes my life a lot more pleasant. I would not stay in Florida for the climate alone though. I moved here from NYC and when I weighed one city against the other, Jacksonville offered me an overall better quality of life for my personal needs.

I think that's the key - Florida has to be right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
If you judging to move on Cocoa Beach it is the wrong way to judge Florida.
Cocoa Beach is not very nice at all. Used to be, but not any more.
I am sure you know everything changes in time and you have to change with it.
If you invested well and have no other issues, there are tons of far better places to retire to in the state of Florida then the Cocoa area.
Riveree is correct, economics is an issue, but then again it is everywhere else as well.
If money is not the issue, you can find your own little paradise in Florida if you look around. Still allot of hidden gems left.
Weather is not a deciding factor for retiring to Florida, but it sure makes everything else better.
For us I am going to retire in less then 2 years around age 49 and get excited everyday about it, but I have done almost a year of researching and monitoring changes as they happen.
If you retired to be comfortable with the weather and all the other things I am retiring for there is not too many places other then Florida I can fulfill my wish list from.
Everyone is different, but weather should be the only choice to move to Fla, its is just a very good one.
Look around the state, many options better then Cocoa as Cocoa is a poor guide for sure.
Good Luck and congrats on your retirement.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Good for you, Floridabound09 !!

We feel the same way. I have tried to keep an open mind about it, but I too am excited about "the move" in 3 years......

Florida is a very big state, so I'm sure one can not judge the whole state by one area. I bought our future home in central florida, and have been there 5 times this year.....

I found the summer to be hot, but not unbearable. I found the neighbors to be wonderful. The cost of living to be I think less then what I am used to here in NY. Gas is cheaper. Water is higher. Taxes are lower.

Both NY and Florida are big states....I would not want someone to judge the whole state of NY on just one region...they would be doing themselves a big disservice.

Frank D.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:00 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:

Vero, you obviously love your state and town. Once again, however, you are looking at the value of your state strictly through the climate. Retirees move/moved to Florida for its value, and yes, its environment. The environment has been greatly altered the past ten years (over and uncontrolled construction, the hurricanes, etc.) and the value of living here is gone and ridiculously out of reach for the average individual (undervalued employees; astronomical housing costs, insurance costs, etc.).

You may want to compare the plight of Florida as being similar to other states, but the recession in your state probably started years before most of the others. From an outsider's point of view (who would love to be retiring to Florida's climate), I do not believe that you recognize the severity and depth of your state's issues.
No, you are wrong. I have my place here in Vero Beach up for sale. Not for any reason other than we want to be closer to our family up north and snowbird to Florida during the winter months.

As far as "the severity and depth of your state's issues" (these are your words) let me say that we have never seen our dollar go so far as down here. Florida is and always will be a bargain compared to the Northeast.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
One of Florida's problems has been the HUGE influx of people moving here faster then the state can grow to take them on. I am MORE then happy if people slow it down so we are not so crowded.

Maybe that will give the road system time to catch up because its seriously burdened in places.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Good for you, Floridabound09 !!

We feel the same way. I have tried to keep an open mind about it, but I too am excited about "the move" in 3 years......

Florida is a very big state, so I'm sure one can not judge the whole state by one area. I bought our future home in central florida, and have been there 5 times this year.....

I found the summer to be hot, but not unbearable. I found the neighbors to be wonderful. The cost of living to be I think less then what I am used to here in NY. Gas is cheaper. Water is higher. Taxes are lower.

Both NY and Florida are big states....I would not want someone to judge the whole state of NY on just one region...they would be doing themselves a big disservice.

Frank D.

Hello Frank!

Thank you.

How is Leesburg buddy?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Exactly two weeks from today we will be flying down there, and staying for a whole 3 weeks....can't wait.

It is snowing here now, and travel tonight will be icy and slippery. I don't think we will have that problem down there. This visit will be a bit different....the wife and I will be there just ourselves for 3 weeks, including for Christmas. I offered to pay the flights for our adult kids to come down, and for different reasons, it did not work out.....so it will be our first time spending Christmas with no snow, no kids, etc.....

I already have a few projects planned to do on the house. It will be a foretaste of our future, and a great way to end the year.

Apologies to the OP...did not mean to stray off topic. I've said it before, but since today IS Thanksgiving, one thing to be thankful for is that we live in a free country, where we could move anywhere we want without gov't permission, etc.

I think that Florida will very much be a good fit for us.....but if it is not, we can easily become "halfbacks", and try anywhere we want somewhere between NY and Florida....life is too short to live miserably.

Frank D.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Wink Thank you

Thanks to all who posted a response to my question. As much as I would like to live in an affordable and prosperous Florida for the next twenty years, I appreciate the "doses of reality" that you have shared. I do like the timeshare idea and renting for short periods of time in Florida. We will see what the next few years bring us all.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all who posted a response to my question. As much as I would like to live in an affordable and prosperous Florida for the next twenty years, I appreciate the "doses of reality" that you have shared. I do like the timeshare idea and renting for short periods of time in Florida. We will see what the next few years bring us all.
This is how I look at it, I have worked very hard my entire life, ( I am sure you have too ) starting at age 10 cutting grass, newpapers etc. By 14 I was drywalling, painting or anything I could do to make money. My mom raised 6 kids with no father around and we had little to nothing.
Now, spring forward to today, 28 years on the same job and love the state of Florida, the beaches, the towns, the history, the people, etc.
So, with that said I have decided that I will take the chance to do something I wish I would have done 21 years ago when I really wanted to. That is to move to Florida.
One thing now its 21 years later is I cannot say I tried it then, but by golly I am going to try it in about 1 1/2 years.
Florida has allot to offer if you can find the right spot, sure it is a hand on learning experience for any of us, but now that I look back I cannot bring back those 21 years, but I can see put a huge dent in it.
You will never know unless you try, like DW says, it isnt nothing you cannot change at least you tried it.
Many posters here on this board have done an awesome job of researching areas to move to in Florida, they have done very well at picking the location that suits them.
Sure, the negatives will scare you and should, but the positives also will be added in by many who recently moved there and have not found the negatives that many posted to be accurate. Why? Because they did there homework and chose the areas that does not have the negatives that are posted here.
You have worked hard and you deserve a chance to do something you want, but one thing you cannot ever say if you dont is try it.
Retirecoach... uhmm.. Did you ever tell you kids to just go ahead and give up because others told them they couldnt do it?......... I dont think so...

Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM

164 posts, read 652,681 times
My husband retired at 45 .Then got another job we then transfered to FL been here 12 years .Life was good for us down here . We had same pay as up north so grateful .We sold 2 yrs ago now renting an our enjoying it .We may stay not sure but if we do go I rent down here in the winters Fl is a pretty nice state .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida