Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:43 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times

Advertisements

My retirement goal set 20 years ago was to save enough money to retire to Florida. My wife and I established a solid investment plan and stuck to it. I am now in my mid-fifties and am financially stable enough to retire comfortably, but it is most doubtful that it will be to Florida. Beyond the warm winters, I could not answer for myself why I would still want to move there. When we would spend our two week vacations at the beach, we felt that Florida was Utopia. It was almost as if that we were oblivious to the fact that real estate was the poor man's lone path to wealth and security. The artificial shortage of real estate forced an upward spike in prices that encouraged growth, speculation, dependency and greed.

The working poor were so prevalent in Cocoa Beach this year, but the beach was beautiful. There were houses for sale everywhere, but our hotel on the beach was incredible. I left this year's vacation thinking that the climate/are facades for the many problems that are hidden from a visitor's view Beyond the climate, why would other posters encourage others to move to your state? Where do you see your state's economy in the next 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:39 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Where else would you go? Landlocked Arizona? The Carolinas where it gets cold and they have ice storms? I read in yesterday's news that sales of existing homes fell in 46 states. I think it was North Dakota and Vermont where house sales rose for existing homes. You can post this question on every board and people will be happy to tell you what's wrong with their state's economy.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:18 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
Good morning Retiredcoach, you sound a lot like my father so I'll tell you what he does: he was originally going to retire to Florida as well, but decided that renting and timeshares are the way to go. He spends 2-3 months a year in Florida (usually sometime in Feb, Mar, Apr) and the rest in WNY.

This way he gets to see everybody, have 4 seasons, get a little winter around Christmas, get out of WNY during the worst of winter, avoid worrying about taxes, insurance, maintenance and the worst of Florida in August. Also, if you live here full-time all of the things you like about Florida (beaches & weather) become routine and ultimately mundane.

Some people lament the insurance, tax and home price crisis, but for my father it forced him to decide if he really wanted to be here full-time.

The answer is no.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:09 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
It's almost impossible to predict ten years out, but chances are that Florida will recover, at least to some extent, from the current credit-induced real estate bubble. However, recovery may only mean that real estate prices will again go on an upward path, largely due to immigration, legal or not.

The Florida economy is notorious for its reliance on few non-productive sectors and its occasional attempts at diversification which get thrown off track. Overall, it is on a long-term upward track, though currently derailed, probably for the next two years, at least.

Muggy and verobeach offered you two different ways of looking at the question.

On the one hand, it's true, where else would you go? Florida is a big state, and notwithstanding the negative changes over the past few years, chances are that you can find a place suitable for you.

On the other hand, one of the most valuable things in life is to have options. Renting for three/four months of the year may be the ideal solution, enabling you to enjoy the best of what each area has to offer and avoiding the worst of what each has to offer.

Either way, I wish you good health and peace of mind on this Thanksgiving day.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
My retirement goal set 20 years ago was to save enough money to retire to Florida. My wife and I established a solid investment plan and stuck to it. I am now in my mid-fifties and am financially stable enough to retire comfortably, but it is most doubtful that it will be to Florida. Beyond the warm winters, I could not answer for myself why I would still want to move there. When we would spend our two week vacations at the beach, we felt that Florida was Utopia. It was almost as if that we were oblivious to the fact that real estate was the poor man's lone path to wealth and security. The artificial shortage of real estate forced an upward spike in prices that encouraged growth, speculation, dependency and greed.

The working poor were so prevalent in Cocoa Beach this year, but the beach was beautiful. There were houses for sale everywhere, but our hotel on the beach was incredible. I left this year's vacation thinking that the climate/are facades for the many problems that are hidden from a visitor's view Beyond the climate, why would other posters encourage others to move to your state? Where do you see your state's economy in the next 10 years?
Most of the problems here are economic. You won't have that problem so you are one of the ones who can live here and not worry about it. What do you care what the job market is. And cost of living, so what, if you have the money and income.

You have worked all your life to live the way you want, you are not going to compromise your wants now are you? You are exactly who should move here if thats what you want. Like someone else said, you don't have to own you can become a renter. I know people who have owned homes their whole lives that are now renters and loving it.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:

There are warm winters to be found many a places. This is your time to find the place that best suits your wife & you. There are beautiful places all throughout the US. It depends on what you are wanting to do during your retirement years. If you like the beach & golf, than places like FL probably are your best bet. If you like more natural beauty & things like mountains & trees, places like the Carolinas & TN. Heck, if we could, we'd have a home in Lake Como, Italy & Steamboat Springs, CO when we retire

So many great places to visit & live all around this country. It is going to depend on what you need & want. The economy is in an upheavel everywhere.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 AM

96 posts, read 275,624 times
Quote:

Hey Coach,

What "many problem's that are hidden from visitor's" are you refering to as you did not mention any???

I have lived in many states in the U.S.A. and it is no worse here than some

of the other's. A two week visit sure dose not tell you anythng about

anything in my opinion.

I have lived here for about 20 year's all together in different part's of

this state and I think that it is okay. I retired at 50 year's of age ..

I would not worry about the state of the state economy 10 year's from

now if I were you, I think that I would concern myself about the state of

the economy in the entire country. You are only 50 son and I think that

there are going to be some bumb's in the road for you. I wish you the best

of course, but I would really look into Florida real well before giving up on

her.

I would not discourge anyone from moving here...If you want some

info and some number's to contact feel free to DM me and I willhelp you

all I can.

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:35 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Where else would you go? Landlocked Arizona? The Carolinas where it gets cold and they have ice storms? I read in yesterday's news that sales of existing homes fell in 46 states. I think it was North Dakota and Vermont where house sales rose for existing homes. You can post this question on every board and people will be happy to tell you what's wrong with their state's economy.

Vero, you obviously love your state and town. Once again, however, you are looking at the value of your state strictly through the climate. Retirees move/moved to Florida for its value, and yes, its environment. The environment has been greatly altered the past ten years (over and uncontrolled construction, the hurricanes, etc.) and the value of living here is gone and ridiculously out of reach for the average individual (undervalued employees; astronomical housing costs, insurance costs, etc.).

You may want to compare the plight of Florida as being similar to other states, but the recession in your state probably started years before most of the others. From an outsider's point of view (who would love to be retiring to Florida's climate), I do not believe that you recognize the severity and depth of your state's issues.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
Florida is the retirement destination for alot of unimaginative people. Unless you really like beaches or hot weather, there are other options.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
Then dont move here it`s that simple if our state sucks so bad instead of bitching to us floridians about it stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida