Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Why the Spanish extorted it from Indians (and not Seminoles either). Which means I defend the right of anyone in Florida to speak Timucua, Apalachee, Calusa etc. Which is unlikely as the original Florida Indian nations are extinct. But if some modern Florida Indian wants to speak Miccosukee or Creek I think it's his right to do so. The bass player from Jacksonville's arguably best band, Blackfoot, is a Creek.
I agree they have the right to speak anything they want, but I also agree that they should learn the predominate language of the land (as a whole) that they live in.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste,
ná Bearla clíste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I agree they have the right to speak anything they want, but I also agree that they should learn the predominate language of the land (as a whole) that they live in.
That would be prudent but some people get by pretty well not speaking English. Growing up in Chicago I ran into quite a few older Italian, German and Polish immigrants who'd never learned English. There used to be a Polish language paper called the Daily Zloty or something like that. I remember Yiddish newspapers too. So I kind'a take the Spanish thing in stride.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Well, ur in St Augustine so you dont have the non-English speaking folks that some of those in S FL are talking about. St Augustine is pretty much plain ol' White America. S FL has so many different cultures/languages/customs...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Coconut1, I'm a NATIVE CRACKER. Sorry ur tired of hearing it.
You might be a cracker, but you're no native. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Wow, so SW Fl is better then the rest of Florida because of its culture, LBGT crap, multi language usage?

Hardly what really makes an area actually better.

SW culture is more non American then it is American.

We are an English speaking country and now some thrive on forcing Americans who speak English to learn Spanish to communicate when it should be Spanish speaking people should be learning and forced to learn and read English.

If anything SW Fl is beautiful for sure but the things some post here make it the worse part of Florida in my opinion.

Please explain in better terms what makes SW FL the best part of the state other then pushing the social bs crap as some have.

Try it without using the social "we have a right" bs and actually post some statistics to prove yourself without personal opinions such as it has a thriving LGBT and the love of all things illegal.

Try getting a gas pump to work around the Miami area... LOL

We stopped for gas and the pump would not work. So we went inside to ask for help. Not one single idiot inside spoke any English. The man behind me had to tell me what in the heck they were saying to me.

Ridiculous they are working in America and cannot speak English at all. No English no public job period.

My goodness now I have to carry a book around in SW Fl to even understand the bs I have to listen to.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Please come back and repost when you've discovered the difference between South Florida and Southwest Florida. Hahahahahahaha!!! LOL!!!! OMG!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM

By YOUR definition, Coconut1. By your definition.

Everyone else knows what a FL native means/is in reference to.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You might be a cracker, but you're no native. Sorry.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Please come back and repost when you've discovered the difference between South Florida and Southwest Florida. Hahahahahahaha!!! LOL!!!! OMG!

LOL

DUhhhhhh

I know the difference.

SW is not as full of all those illegal criminals trespassing on our land right?

So you agree that SE Florida is not really truly America any longer right?

So if the above poster is not a native then what are all the illegals, are they the same as the American poster then? Just wondering if you are one of those who want to clump an true real America with the non American illegal criminals who are breaking our laws for being on our land for more time they are allowed to be.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
1-Then you have the rest of the state to promote your American "Family values"
2-You know this country was founded on imagrants right?
3-It is SE Florida,
4-The US does NOT have an official language,
5-Besides diversity (Which you obviously hate), where did I mention social issues?
What are imagrants?

And those immigrants came here with hope and dreams while these new wave of illegals do not have any values towards what American is all about.

Sorry to burst your bubble but illegals here now are not immigrants.

We have laws on the book currently that place all illegals as criminal trespassers if they over stay the allowed time and we have millions of them here.

Huge different in past immigrants and current illegal criminals.

We should have and stop all the spanish crap all over my billboards, menus etc.

Dont mind diversity at all as long as the American values etc are kept in tack. Illegals coming from Cuba, Mexico etc do not want anything to do with American values or our history. They are trying to make us change for their ways and that is not a good thing.

So you are dead set against traditional American family values then right? Thought so.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Sunny, I think you meant SE FL, not SW FL.

Yes.

I stand corrected.

Everyone knows what I meant anyway.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup. And apparently it's the third time in a year this has happened to the heat. And people say that Orlando is the most unsafe city in FL

Miami Heat guard Roger Mason Jr. robbed at Miami restaurant - chicagotribune.com
Quote:
Miami Heat player robbed, just saw it on the news. Inside a restaurant (INSIDE A RESTAURANT!) and shots were reportedly fired too! Go South FL!
Come on guys. These things happen all the time everywhere in the United States. The only reason it was on the news is because a Heat player was involved for any of the incidents. I am not sure which area is the most dangerous but it can easily be looked up by FBI statistics. But this news story proves nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but illegals here now are not immigrants.

We have laws on the book currently that place all illegals as criminal trespassers if they over stay the allowed time and we have millions of them here.

Huge different in past immigrants and current illegal criminals.

We should have and stop all the spanish crap all over my billboards, menus etc.

Dont mind diversity at all as long as the American values etc are kept in tack. Illegals coming from Cuba, Mexico etc do not want anything to do with American values or our history. They are trying to make us change for their ways and that is not a good thing.
Just a slight correction:
Right now there is no such thing as an Illegal Cuban Immigrant. The laws of this country make it legal for any Cuban who steps foot on the soil of the U.S.

I do agree that everyone should learn English but I think you have the wrong attitude towards it and this is exactly what is wrong with people who bash immigrants like this. I get frustrated when people don't know how to speak English at the supermarket but at the same time we should be telling our kids they need to learn a second language too. It is good for the future and good for business. whether it is Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin or Arabic everyone should attempt to learn another language. Obviously that means immigrants in the U.S. should learn English.

I will also state that the older Cuban immigrants the ones who already have Adult children and have Grand Children and great grand children. Those families who came into the U.S. in the 1950s and 1960s could not be anymore American. They built up Miami, built there own businesses and came to this country with zero. Zero dollars, literally just the clothes on their backs for a better life. Just like any other large Immigrant group from Europe which you ancestors had to come from. (unless you are Native American or Asian) Please tell me what is more American than that?

As for Hispanics in general they usually place family values and closeness much higher than the average American and are usually more religious too.

And I have never had a problem at a gas pump

Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 PM

FlyMia, the thing is it was during the day and shots were fired at the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida