Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Yes. NYC and it's suburbs are growing, but the rest of NY state ... not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
That is a fact CP. NYC hasnt had so many people in 60 years and the growth continues.
Gentrification is turning neighborhoods from dead out decline to expensive, in demand areas.
An apartment in the South Bronx will run you over a half a mil easy. Thats buying of course.
Manhattan has priced most people out. Even Harlem is going through a gentrification and revitalization and they dont foresee it slowing down.

It hurts the former middle class big time though. With all the progress the COL will increase and force more of the former middle class to leave NYC for lower COL areas.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yes. NYC and it's suburbs are growing, but the rest of NY state ... not so much.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM

I think you may have missed it but, the recession is over, things have picked up over the past couple of years in most sectors. Migration is way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Good. I hope migration to this state stays low though it'll most likely pick up when the economy improves one day.

I do know that Dade has seen a net out migration for the past 15 years or so and Broward started experiencing the same thing around 2007-08 and continues to.

My wife and I are thinking of leaving FL to go to TN, AL, or GA ourselves. We're both multi-generational Floridians, like this state but don't like what it's become.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:21 PM

When giving honest and balanced facts, make sure those facts arent several years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
You transplants think that this place is such a "paradise" because you decided to move here and brag to all your friends up north how awesome it is. Stop tooting your own horn, its a OK place to live but ranks near bottom in almost every category (schools, crime, COL, etc). Here is one of many articles (this one from bloomberg) about how Florida's population decreased in 2008. Actually up until 2012, the atlas van lines moving index showed more people moving out than in from 2004-2011. I have also provided a link to that as well for your reference. Get off your soap box spring hillian you paint this picture that this place is some mecca for people that cant brave 2 months of winter even if it cost them $50k a year in employment. I give this board what it needs, balanced and honest FACTS!

Places like NC, TX and TN are getting vastly greater people migrating to their states than Florida.

Florida

Moving Migration Patterns | Atlas Van Lines

Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
https://www.google.com/#q=broward+co...ation&safe=off

Broward Population in 2008 was 1.753. In 2012 it was 1.815.

The only year it dipped since 2008 was between 2009 and 2010.

For every Floridian moving to TN, GA or AL, there's a "native TN, GA or AL-ian" saying, "too many damn Floridians here changing our state from what it used to be!"
Yeah, if you talk about half and halfs. People who moved from NY to FL then moved up to TN or wherever.

Multigeneration native Floridians are mostly southern in culture. That's why there are parts of the state such as the Panhandle, northern FL and rural areas of central FL that are still southern in culture, because these areas are mostly populated by native Floridians.

Also, places can grow due to natural changes from the # of births and deaths as well as immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I think you may have missed it but, the recession is over, things have picked up over the past couple of years in most sectors. Migration is way up.
It's better than it was in 2008-10 but it's not like it was from the late 90s to the mid 2000s.

Last edited by CountryFisher; 12-02-2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
My guess is that not only will Florida be No. 2 in the 2020 census, but the margin over New York could be surprisingly large by then. Wasn't so long ago (20 years) that Florida wasn't much bigger than Pennsylvania and Illinois, and look how big the gaps are now.

No. 2 is probably where we're locked in. The population gaps are so large right now that it would take less populous fast-growing states many decades to catch up to Florida even if the state's growth rate slows to almost zero. On the high end, No. 2 Texas has almost 7 million more people than Florida and is growing faster, with no end in sight. Texas isn't a retirement magnet like Florida, but Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston are powerful economic engines and Austin is a mecca for young people.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
My guess is that not only will Florida be No. 2 in the 2020 census, but the margin over New York could be surprisingly large by then. Wasn't so long ago (20 years) that Florida wasn't much bigger than Pennsylvania and Illinois, and look how big the gaps are now.

No. 2 is probably where we're locked in. The population gaps are so large right now that it would take less populous fast-growing states many decades to catch up to Florida even if the state's growth rate slows to almost zero. On the high end, No. 2 Texas has almost 7 million more people than Florida and is growing faster, with no end in sight. Texas isn't a retirement magnet like Florida, but Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston are powerful economic engines and Austin is a mecca for young people.
You are implying that Florida will pass California by 2020!? With California's almost 40 million inhabitants and growing I honestly don't see Texas or Florida coming close to it in our lifetimes.

Florida will make it to No. 3, and then the top 4 won't change for decades and decades.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You are implying that Florida will pass California by 2020!? With California's almost 40 million inhabitants and growing I honestly don't see Texas or Florida coming close to it in our lifetimes.

Florida will make it to No. 3, and then the top 4 won't change for decades and decades.
Brain flatulence ... you are absolutely correct as I meant to say No. 3. Guess I had one too many adult beverages today!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If you include all of the undocumented people, Florida has already surpassed NY...

You took the words right out of my mouth other then I call them what they are.

Criminal trespassing illegals.

You wont see them counted because many love to protect our trespassing criminals.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
It's better than it was in 2008-10 but it's not like it was from the late 90s to the mid 2000s.
Trickle down working in season where trust fund babies come to play like in a Boca Raton or Sarasota. Where the money is local home grown still sluggish.. The real economic boom times to me were 83-88' and 97-06'. We are far from either regardless of what the DOW is doing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida