U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 PM

186,939 posts, read 76,742,592 times

Advertisements

Months have passed and City-Data still doesn't know where Yeehaw Junction is. I saw a sign advertising one acre lots there for the new city of Destiny for $49,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM

22 posts, read 37,193 times
I have been trying to get a hold of the owner, or any former employee of Yeehaw Juncion Travel Center.
I was a discount disney ticket business in Yeehaw Junction that changed its name to Ticket Spot, but went out of business after.
I can't find any working phone numbers or any information about the people that used to run the business.

I looked on BBB and the WHOIS but nothing

Can any of you help, thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM

778 posts, read 1,456,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchJunque View Post
Does anyone know anything about YEEHAW JUNCTION? Personal experience? We are currently living in the Jax area and looking to move further south.

Looking for a quiet, small, rural community. NOT interested in gated communities, waterfront, etc. Translate that to mean, "WE NEED CHEAP HOUSING". LOL

Thanks for any help anyone is able to offer.
The good news is 4.5 years later you have very 'cheap' housing now all over the place even further south and even closer to civilization if you wish.. Buy the used house now for less than what the lot went for in 2006..

Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM

817 posts, read 1,919,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Yeehaw Junction is an unincorporated area at the intersection of State Road 60, US 441 and the Florida Turnpike's Yeehaw Junction exit. The area that can be identified as Yeehaw Junction consists of about 1/2 mile of SR 60 between the turnpike exit and the junction with US 441. On that half mile stretch are a trailer/office for a discount Orlando Attractions ticket office, a Stucky's restaurant, and a gas station. At the junction of SR 60 and US 441 is the Desert Inn, a local restaurant mostly serving truckers.

There is nothing else. No visible residents, no other businesses, no other activities. People who live in the area are ranchers who live on acreage in the surrounding area. There may be a couple of single-wide house trailers on weedy lots near the intersection, but they aren't visible. If there is such a thing as a metropolitan area, it has perhaps 50 residents, tops.

The intersection was known as Jacka$$ Junction until the Florida turnpike was constructed and the state picked a new name for the exit. It got its original name because the local ranchers rode mules into the Desert Inn, which was a brothel in the '30's. The Desert Inn is registered on the National list of Historical places, and I understand you can get a tour of the 11 bothel rooms on request. Personally, I'd be afraid to pull into the parking lot, let alone actually go inside. Here's the outside:

Judging rom the cars, it looks like the picture was taken in the early 60's when the building still looked pretty good.

Interestingly, if you go to the City-date page for Yeehaw Junction, you'll be informed that the population is over 21,000 in 2000, and see maps of a bustling community. The problem is, that's not Yeehaw Junction, but Lake Buenaventura near Orlando. Yeehaw Junction was somehow confused with Lake Buenaventura in the 2000 census. The correct data for Yeehaw was not recorded.

Incredibly, there are two huge, new communities planned for the area, which is about 30 miles West of Vero Beach and 30 miles North of Okeechobee. North of SR 60 along US 441, there are plans for a large, new housing development, while South of SR 60, along US 441 just South of the area known as Fort Drum, a new community called the Grove is being planned with 15,000 homes. There are some probable reasons. Land out there is relatively cheap, the locations are outside of Indian River County (where Vero Beach is located) and therefore not subject to the Urban Services rules of IRC, and both Osceola County (where the first development will be located) and Okeechobee County (where the Grove will be located) are hungry for that kind of increase in the tax base. SR 60 from Yeehaw over to the coast was a twisty, bumpy, narrow 2 lane road, but is in the process of getting 4-laned. Most of the commercial development of Vero Beach such as malls, is in the Western end of the city, so will be not much more than 25 easy miles on the new road from these new developments.

In other words, Yeehaw Junction is about to explode from the most primitive and rural type of area to be found anywhere in Florida to the road building and huge development that has ruined so much of the rest of the state.

I have a feeling that the recession and real estate crunch will kill the development plans for Yeehaw Junction (or "Destiny" as the development was to be named...LAME).

I have stopped and eaten at the Desert Inn before. Got a plate of ham and black-eyed peas once...it was....ok...

To the OP....you don't want to move there. As the poster I quoted said, there is not really a town there, just a wide spot between the turnpike and 441 on SR 60. If you want to open a hunting lodge, you might find it worthwhile though.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I have a feeling that the recession and real estate crunch will kill the development plans for Yeehaw Junction (or "Destiny" as the development was to be named...LAME).

I have stopped and eaten at the Desert Inn before. Got a plate of ham and black-eyed peas once...it was....ok...

To the OP....you don't want to move there. As the poster I quoted said, there is not really a town there, just a wide spot between the turnpike and 441 on SR 60. If you want to open a hunting lodge, you might find it worthwhile though.
A wide crossroads but somehow City Data has it in their files 30k plus people live there. I've been passing through there since I as a toddler. No more restaurant. No more hotel other than the historic Desert Inn, and one gas station which is a Pilot truck stop. You could not get 30K people crammed into Yeehaw. Latt Maxcy Corp sold the farm land to build Destiny but right now it is still a flop. Give City Data ten more years and they might get the demographics right. Now I don't pay much attention to other towns in other states from their stats. I'll just go and see for my self.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 PM

778 posts, read 1,456,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
A wide crossroads but somehow City Data has it in their files 30k plus people live there. I've been passing through there since I as a toddler. No more restaurant. No more hotel other than the historic Desert Inn, and one gas station which is a Pilot truck stop. You could not get 30K people crammed into Yeehaw. Latt Maxcy Corp sold the farm land to build Destiny but right now it is still a flop. Give City Data ten more years and they might get the demographics right. Now I don't pay much attention to other towns in other states from their stats. I'll just go and see for my self.
I'd be shocked if 1k people live within a 20 mile radius. Little besides a turnpike interchange, gas station and inn. Nearest town is Lake Wales.

I think CD has the location off by about 40-50 miles

Hospitals/medical centers near Yeehaw Junction:
OSCEOLA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (Acute Care Hospitals, Proprietary, provides emergency services, about 5 miles away; KISSIMMEE, FL)
ST CLOUD REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (Acute Care Hospitals, Proprietary, provides emergency services, about 7 miles away; SAINT CLOUD, FL)
ORLANDO REGIONAL HEALTHCARE (Acute Care Hospitals, Voluntary non-profit - Private, provides emergency services, about 13 miles away; ORLANDO, FL)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Yeehaw...#ixzz1ydlhfXHy

Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Well they are making head way.

Population in 2010: 240. Population change since 2000: -98.9%[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Yeehaw...#ixzz1ydoc4YTm

Still the location is miles off on the General Map. If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. This one is not right.
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or