U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 15,916 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about YEEHAW JUNCTION? Personal experience? We are currently living in the Jax area and looking to move further south.

Looking for a quiet, small, rural community. NOT interested in gated communities, waterfront, etc. Translate that to mean, "WE NEED CHEAP HOUSING". LOL

Thanks for any help anyone is able to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 09:15 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,439,232 times
Don't get much quieter that that. No much around there. Have driven through there several times.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,780,507 times
Yeehaw Junction is an unincorporated area at the intersection of State Road 60, US 441 and the Florida Turnpike's Yeehaw Junction exit. The area that can be identified as Yeehaw Junction consists of about 1/2 mile of SR 60 between the turnpike exit and the junction with US 441. On that half mile stretch are a trailer/office for a discount Orlando Attractions ticket office, a Stucky's restaurant, and a gas station. At the junction of SR 60 and US 441 is the Desert Inn, a local restaurant mostly serving truckers.

There is nothing else. No visible residents, no other businesses, no other activities. People who live in the area are ranchers who live on acreage in the surrounding area. There may be a couple of single-wide house trailers on weedy lots near the intersection, but they aren't visible. If there is such a thing as a metropolitan area, it has perhaps 50 residents, tops.

The intersection was known as Jacka$$ Junction until the Florida turnpike was constructed and the state picked a new name for the exit. It got its original name because the local ranchers rode mules into the Desert Inn, which was a brothel in the '30's. The Desert Inn is registered on the National list of Historical places, and I understand you can get a tour of the 11 bothel rooms on request. Personally, I'd be afraid to pull into the parking lot, let alone actually go inside. Here's the outside:

http://www.originalbluegrass.com/DesertInn/DesertInn_postcard.jpg (broken link)
Judging rom the cars, it looks like the picture was taken in the early 60's when the building still looked pretty good.

Interestingly, if you go to the City-date page for Yeehaw Junction, you'll be informed that the population is over 21,000 in 2000, and see maps of a bustling community. The problem is, that's not Yeehaw Junction, but Lake Buenaventura near Orlando. Yeehaw Junction was somehow confused with Lake Buenaventura in the 2000 census. The correct data for Yeehaw was not recorded.

Incredibly, there are two huge, new communities planned for the area, which is about 30 miles West of Vero Beach and 30 miles North of Okeechobee. North of SR 60 along US 441, there are plans for a large, new housing development, while South of SR 60, along US 441 just South of the area known as Fort Drum, a new community called the Grove is being planned with 15,000 homes. There are some probable reasons. Land out there is relatively cheap, the locations are outside of Indian River County (where Vero Beach is located) and therefore not subject to the Urban Services rules of IRC, and both Osceola County (where the first development will be located) and Okeechobee County (where the Grove will be located) are hungry for that kind of increase in the tax base. SR 60 from Yeehaw over to the coast was a twisty, bumpy, narrow 2 lane road, but is in the process of getting 4-laned. Most of the commercial development of Vero Beach such as malls, is in the Western end of the city, so will be not much more than 25 easy miles on the new road from these new developments.

In other words, Yeehaw Junction is about to explode from the most primitive and rural type of area to be found anywhere in Florida to the road building and huge development that has ruined so much of the rest of the state.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 AM

83 posts, read 255,166 times
That stretch of road is a scenic drive through some beautiful small rural towns. It is true that Yeehaw Junction is more of an intersection than a town. You blink and you might miss it. There is also Jasper and some other little towns which make up that highway. I fear as the other poster mentioned though that development will be taking it over soon. As I was driving through earlier this year I saw a lot of new fancy housing going up on acreage out there, probably more of that than the beautiful old Fl cracker homes or other poor folk homes. Believe me, if I thought it feasible to buy some cheap land and build a small cabin out there I would but I think that area is being targeted at rich folks now. Even the farmers will be driven out soon.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
There is also Jasper and some other little towns which make up that highway....As I was driving through earlier this year I saw a lot of new fancy housing going up on acreage out there...
Pixiewytch, I'm not sure you're in the right area. Jasper is up near Live Oak, not far from the Georgia border, in the general vicinity of I-75 and I-10. Yeehaw Junction is about 30 miles inland from the East coast of Florida, near Vero Beach, about an hour SE of Orlando. There are no new, fancy houses going up anywhere within 20 miles of Yeehaw at the present time.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Lol, I think I am confused because I'm thinking of my trip on the way up to Live Oak.

I'm just mixing up the names of the towns though, not the long stretch of highway I'm thinking of on the way to Ocala. Isn't there a town that starts with a J out there? Bradley? Help me out here.

Anyway, I didn't see huge housing developments but I did see some pretty fancy newer homes scattered along the pasture. It may have been past yeehaw junction but that same stretch of highway on the way to Ocala. These may have even been the large ranches you were referring to but they looked pretty swank to me.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
...not the long stretch of highway I'm thinking of on the way to Ocala....Help me out here..
I hate to seem like I'm picking on you, but on the other hand, I don't want to mislead strangers to the area. Ocala is more than 150 miles away from Yeehaw Junction.

Here's a map clip to show where Yeehaw is:

http://grillsource.com/pix/map1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM

265 posts, read 586,516 times
YeeHaw is just an historic blip on the road.

You would need to do business in Okeechobbe or the greater Sebring area

If you want rural and enjoy the Florida landscape - It is a truly beautiful place. Well, except for the actual intersection of SR 60 and 441 - that is a truck stop and a Disney ticket wholesaler - kind of dirty. but that is literally just the intersection.

Rural is the word. If you have not visited, you should

Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM

No problem, I'm not the best person when it comes to directions and I wasn't driving anyway. I'm sure it was 150 miles from Ocala but that is the detour we were taking to go to Live Oak and we were on that road for quite some time. Somehow I'm come off sounding like an idiot here I apologize. I was born and raised in Polk County and have driven through the Yeehaw Junction many, many times so I have no doubt in my mind that we are talking about the same place. I guess I'm just talking about a much broader area surrounding YJ than you are. After all, like you said, you can't exactly live right in YJ so I figured someone might want an idea of the areas surrounding it, even if they are in a large radius.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 PM

75 posts, read 239,956 times
Actually, the entire drive on highway 60 (Yeehaw Junction) West to around Lakeland is beautiful. It is a reminder of what Florida was like before all the hustle and bustle. I love taking that road. You even go past a few towns that look like they are held up by just one or two industries, kinda like a coal mine town up North or something where everyone works at the plant/mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida