Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 AM

40 posts, read 199,266 times

Advertisements

[b]WHAT'S WRONG WITH FLORIDA WATER?
I notice alot of people buying water filters that cost $4,000, it's crazy .
Water taste sooooo bad here, can that be the reason pizza taste so bad here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,906,280 times
It's funny, I don't think Florida's water *tastes* that bad.
But I do think it is filled with all kinds of stuff, and we don't make coffee with it because I am afraid all the minerals or whatever might destroy my capuccino machine. I also think that the very thing that makes Apalachicola oysters taste so good is the mineral stuff in the water.
Perhaps what is at issue might be sewage treatment.
Maybe someone else has some real facts about this, I am afraid I don't.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,559,651 times
Smile We added a R/O system and two extra filters

When we moved into our house here in Punta Gorda the water was horrible.
I am a big water drinker. The water never quenched my thirst.
We decided to put in a R/O system (reverse osmosis) and a water softner and two extra filters-one under the kitchen sink and a whole house filter hooked up to the outside waterline.
The water now is better than bottled water! I love it.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 PM

75 posts, read 268,946 times
Your right!!! I don't know why the water tastes so bad....it is a shame...
my husband put extra filters on our refrigerator water and it still doesn't
taste right....I buy bottled water....I live in the county and the water company we have says they do tests on it...but yet,,, why does it taste
bad...I wonder if they even know.....

Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,327,092 times
Thank you, guys! I'm glad to find out it's not just me. No matter where I go in Florida, the water tastes funny.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,102,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post
[b]WHAT'S WRONG WITH FLORIDA WATER?
I notice alot of people buying water filters that cost $4,000, it's crazy .
Water taste sooooo bad here, can that be the reason pizza taste so bad here?

What is your location? We live in Northwest Florida and we don't have a problem.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:50 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,164,351 times
That's funny! I've lived all my life in Florida, and I think other people's water tastes bad.

Actually, Florida's water is fine to drink, but it is "hard", meaning that it has minerals in it. This is because it comes from our limestone aquifer, but it's not poisenous and there's nothing in it that will hurt you. If the water smells like bleach, that mean that your water treatment facility is over chlorinating it. If it smells like sulfer, then you are probably drinking "well water", or the water treatment facility has something wrong with it. People on wells will have extensive filtration systems, and they need to be properly maintained.

But, even if your on city water, it's easy enough to filter out the minerals, if you want, with nothing more than a $30 filtration system. If you want to filter all of the water that comes into your house (there is absolutely no need to do this) then you will need a more extensive system.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,102,358 times
If you want peace of mind, most of the new refrigerators does have a filter system installed, the cost for the filter (the one I use) is $30.00 and last 4 to 6 months. If not buy a water pitcher w/filter for about $15.00 to $20.00 at Sears or Target. This should take care of your problem.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 PM

566 posts, read 2,053,369 times
Our water tastes great, clear & clean...nothing wrong with it, it's been proven, at least down here, that it's 100% safe to drink. If it makes one feel better lots of people put those easy twist on filters on the kitchen faucet or/and the refrigerator for icemaker/water that comes out thru the door. There's really no need to spend $4000 for one of those contraptions, at least here in Dade County. By the way, we've had lots of reports down here warning of sc.. artists (can't say the first word, don't know why) that come knocking on the door w/little strips conducting phony tests showing all the junk in our water supply & claiming that the water is hazardous to our health - some of these companies aren't even licensed. Check them out first before signing on that dotted line.
Anyway, Dade County has a once a year cleaning/flush w/bleach to purify our water supply. As a matter of fact, they just did this last week - so when that happens, I go and buy bottled water cause I don't like the bleach for coffee or cooking as everything tastes funny, but otherwise it's great. Even with the bleach, health officials reported that it was a minimal amount and still safe to drink.
Prichard said something that I've noticed too, when I go elsewhere the water tastes weird to me, for some reason. Even the air ...not bad, just different.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:20 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,559,651 times
My water didn't taste better until we put in the reverse osmosis system and the other filters added under the sink and to the outside line.
I would not drink the water until we did this. It has a flat taste to it and doesn't quench your thirst. Now with the R/O system and filters its better than spring water.
When changing the filters you see all the dirt and grime that comes out of the water. Even little rock particles, yuk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida