U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:43 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneNativeFloridian View Post
I disagree, I don't believe that anyone looking to move to "paradise" will care about things like economy, infrastructure, ect, ect. I mean, they never did before?

LOL, many of them just care about the fact they're leaving NJ or NY, or a foreign country. So of course FL will continue to be appealing to those folks, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:34 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,857,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Yes and I was looking for examples in other overcrowded areas across the country where people have fled.
Try California. Easily much worse domestic emigration to other parts of the country, particularly among middle-class families that are being priced out of existence. In 2011, 120 people were leaving California for every 100 people moving in

Jobs Aren't Leaving California For Texas, But People Are - Forbes

Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

Quote:
What has caused California’s transformation from a “pull in” to a “push out” state? The data have revealed several crucial drivers. One is chronic economic adversity (in most years, California unemployment is above the national average). Another is density: the Los Angeles and Orange County region now has a population density of 6,999.3 per square mile—well ahead of New York or Chicago. Dense coastal areas are a source of internal migration, as people seek more space in California’s interior, as well as migration to other states. A third factor is state and local governments’ constant fiscal instability, which sends at least two discouraging messages to businesses and individuals. One is that they cannot count on state and local governments to provide essential services—much less, tax breaks or other incentives. Second, chronically out-of-balance budgets can be seen as tax hikes waiting to happen.

The data also reveal the motives that drive individuals and businesses to leave California. One of these, of course, is work. States with low unemployment rates, such as Texas, are drawing people from California, whose rate is above the national average. Taxation also appears to be a factor, especially as it contributes to the business climate and, in turn, jobs. Most of the destination states favored by Californians have lower taxes. States that have gained the most at California’s expense are rated as having better business climates. The data suggest that many cost drivers—taxes, regulations, the high price of housing and commercial real estate, costly electricity, union power, and high labor costs—are prompting businesses to locate outside California, thus helping to drive the exodus.
Emigration from California: Go east or north, young man | The Economist

California Migration: High Housing Prices, Not Jobs Or Taxes, Most Responsible For Pushing People Out, Report Finds

Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Yes and I was looking for examples in other overcrowded areas across the country where people have fled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I did a Google search and found no example of your question..
This is kind of an interesting article discussing top population migration patterns in 2010-2011. I found the third most popular state-to-state example surprising.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...cord-low/?_r=0

Old 12-21-2013, 04:55 AM

642 posts, read 864,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This is kind of an interesting article discussing top population migration patterns in 2010-2011. I found the third most popular state-to-state example surprising.

thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

this is intringuing:

New York to Florida (55,011)
Florida to Georgia (49,901)

Old 12-21-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

this is intringuing:

New York to Florida (55,011)
Florida to Georgia (49,901)
The more I thought about it the more it did make some sense. I think many Floridians have been put off by the rampant growth and mindless sprawl of areas like Orlando/Central Florida and are moving to places like Georgia which has a similar feel geographically (and a mild climate) without the overbuilt sprawl. Not to mention it's less expensive, typically safer and not a "one trick pony" economically.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:05 AM

4,229 posts, read 5,697,812 times
Quote:

I like this map;

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

You have to fool around with it a bit, but I think it's pretty cool.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I like this map;

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

You have to fool around with it a bit, but I think it's pretty cool.
It's a little wonky I think since half of the numbers represent pre-2007 data which is before the housing bubble burst. Data from post-2007 and beyond 2010 would be more appropriate for the "current status".

Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 AM

34,396 posts, read 41,499,470 times
The Gold rush caused some over crowding problems in California.

The Gold Rush of 1849 — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 AM

4,229 posts, read 5,697,812 times
I still like it. The trends are interesting and I think the data from other states that are less volatile than Florida are more steady and easier to predict.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

No, that's not surprising at all Kyle. Florida to Georgia. That's the number 1 destination of Floridians, Georgia. Then NC/SC. FL to GA is as popular as NY to FL or Puerto Rico to Orlando.

I like Oviedo a lot. But you have to wonder what FL will be like in the future. If the FL population is continuing to grow mainly by NY/NJ folks (and folks from foreign countries being 2nd), and Floridians are moving OUT, it's gonna (continue to) change a lot.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 12-21-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or