Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM

892 posts, read 1,567,973 times

Advertisements

It's funny how when I (and other people) post things in reference to the lives and experiences of people we know "up north" who may not think moving to Florida is the greatest thing ever......

You post links and state that your posts are based on FACT and not "people you know or have talked to" or what "you have heard"......

Your last post was COMPLETELY FILLED with stories about people you know who moved here and like it.....

What gives?.....

You said "the day to day life up north sucks"......based on what?....your opinion?...

Why is it that your opinion is FACT because you post a few links?..........

But you have anointed yourself as the personal defender of all things Florida and troll this forum just looking to start a pizzing match with anyone who dares say a negative word about your precious Florida or Spring Hill......

I pick and choose my spots (only 600+ posts since 2007 and a 730+ rep score) but you just show up in every thread over and over and over.......

When you post as much as you do...and argue with people as much as you do....

You're not "dispelling the mistruths"......you're just forcing your opinion on everyone as FACT.....

When you post and argue as much as you do.......

It's impossible for you not to be hypocritical in your arguments.....

Spring Hillian is all about FACTS ONLY.....

Except when the "non-facts" or "opinions" support his argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM

You've got almost 5000 posts since 2009........

"dispelling the mistruths"......

Or "trolling the forum looking for the slightest negative opinion on Florida and start a tit for tat"....

It's the latter.....

And it's exhausting.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times
Drb,

Upstate has been losing families and people in their prime for decades

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Drb,

Upstate has been losing families and people in their prime for decades

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny...anted=all&_r=0
Yes....

I have heard that.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Yes....

I have heard that.....

But all things considered.....the economy in NY state as a whole is still diverse and better situated for the future than a place like Florida....

Also....

It would be interesting to see where those people have been moving to.....

I doubt they're saying "we're moving to Florida for work and opportunity"......

It's more likely "we're moving to Florida for warm winters".....

Food for thought I guess.
they are certainly not moving to California

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com

My guess is tx as the biggest recipient of those displaced ny and ca middle class families

Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM

111 posts, read 147,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
What I was trying to say in my OP is that if you make less than 40-50K, it's really tough to survive in Florida, but in many other places you are alright. Sure, if you are a Dr, Lawyer, CPA, Accountant, you can do alright just about anywhere. I'm saying in the lower end, service industry type jobs, FL pay is low compared to other places. My wife is a RN with a MS and for the same position in Tucson, AZ, she was offered almost 20% more per hour than at Broward General Medical Center and I would say the cost of living is roughly 20% less here in Tucson.
Many lawyers are unemployed..

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,015,781 times
So, you know people who wouldnt live in FL and I know people who love it.

Yes, my posts are based on facts when I state them as factual information and back those statements with statistics or links to the statistics.
Instead of arguing with me, argue with the facts.

Your posts are the opposite of mine. You post a dislike of FL and you reference people you know who share the same opinion, but when I do the same thing its not OK, right?

Let's take a December day in NYC. Get up. Its 20 degrees outside. The landlord does not provide heat overnight so you fire up the stove/oven to warm up the apartment enough to take a shower without freezing your stuff off when you get out. (for 1200 a month rent). If it is a day for alternate side of the street parking, you need to move your car or it will get ticketed or towed. Finding a parking spot at 6 a.m. on a cold winter morning is miserable. So is digging the car out of the snow. So is the walk back to your apartment after parking 4 blocks away. Now its off to the subway. Pay your $2.50 fare, go wait on the platform where it is cold and windy as the train that comes in is "out of service" so you wait for the next one with is crammed beyond capacity with the people who got thrown off the first train as well as the normal crowd. What a joy it is being crammed into a subway car with 1,000 people wearing heavy coats. The stink can get overwhelming. You might even get to share the subway car with a passed out homeless fellow taking up 5 seat positions. Get off the subway and trudge to the office. Several blocks. Watch out when you step off the curb or you will step into 6 inches of cold slushy ice water and it will fill your shoes leaving your foot soaked. No fun walking to work with a wet foot in cold weather.
Buy your bagel, danish or roll and coffee and plunk down $5 for that. Oh, dag. Need cigarettes. Get a pack for $11.00 and head off to the office. Spend the morning with your wet foot, waiting for lunch time. Go out and grab a bite for $15.00 for a hamburger, fries and a coke. Back to the office and then repeat the trip to the subway again trying to avoid the slush on each corner as you are pushed and shoved along 5th Avenue. Get home, check the mail in the mailbox, hope the elevator is running and go to your apartment. Ah, the heat is on. Its been on all day so the apartment is hot and dry. Make dinner, watch some TV and repeat the next day. On weekends you go to the supermarket and the first thing that greets you is the stink. Go up and down the crowded aisles manuvering around the boxes of merchandise stacked in the aisles waiting to go on the shelf. Wait on long line for checkout. Lug your groceries home because a: you have a parking spot that is good for the next day so you dont have to move it in the morning. b: there is no place to park if you did drive to the supermarket. Another day. In the summer you get to live in a hot and humid apartment. You can't have air conditioning because the building built in the 1920s or 30's has an electrical system based on two 15 amp circuits and the fuse blows when if you turn on an ac unit. Also the fuse blows when you use the toaster and a hair dryer at the same time anywhere in the apartment. Its summer and its trash day. The piles of black plastic bags are stacked in front of each building stinking to all heck in the summer heat and humidity. Such as pleasure to pass by. Since it is summer, you can go to the beach. Once you find a spot to park your car you head to the sand. Walking over the sand requires shoes because it is 1/2 sand and 1/2 broken glass and crushed sea shells. The water temperature is a brisk 65 degrees. Watch out for the hypo needles, used diapers, coney island white fish (used condoms), sea weed and oil slick all rolling in the waves at the shoreline. Make sure your beach mate is watching your stuff at the blanket or it will all be gone by the time you get back from a dip. Radio, shoes, pants, shirt, blankets, wallet, keys, all gone. Now you can drive home and try to find a parking spot again. Hopefully some hoodlums won't stick a gun in your face and demand your wallet or cell phone while you are walking the three to four blocks from where you parked your car on your way back to the apartment. Once you get to the apartment you wonder if you put up your "No radio" sign on the car, attached the crook-lock which is a hooked bar that hooks around your brake pedal and steering wheel. It really does no good as all the thief has to do is cut the steering wheel and slide it off. The "no radio" sign is just an invitation to the thieves to smash your window for putting up the stupid sign in the first place. Go to the bank, wait on lines that stretch to the door. Go anywhere and wait on lines.
On monday you get to go to the subway where it is still crowded with people all the time. Its summer now and the stench of body odor will make you puke. You could drive to work. It would take about 90 minutes, the toll for the tunnel from Brooklyn to Manhattan is $5 each way. Parking on the street in Manhattan does not exist. Parking at a garage costs between 20 and 50 dollars a day. Its another wonderful day in the life of a Nyker.

Tell me how my posts are forcing my opinion on anyone. I am just stating the way it is. Dispelling the numerous "facts" that there are no jobs in FL, all jobs pay crap, the weather is unbearable 10 months out of the year, the traffic is insane, everybody is old and retired or young and poor and uneducated. I can go on about the alleged negatives but you know what they are.

I have no argument. When someone posts that most jobs pay minimum wage, I am going to post a link to a statistic that dismisses that premise as it is not true. Same with car insurance rates. I have seen people quote $4,000.00 a year rates as being normal. 50 percent of the drivers have no insurance, everyday is 90+ degrees with matching humidity numbers. I see posts telling people how bad it is in FL on a regular basis. Most of it is all b.s. with no factual backing whatsoever.
How about the poster who said Spring Hill was the "murder capital of FL". Never happened. When I posted the tally from the FDLE the poster said those numbers are all made up to make Spring Hill look good. To who? People who have never been here or were here 10 years ago post like they know what they are talking about.

You and many others never post links to what you believe is factual. I do. I guess it is all a conspiracy to show FL as a good place to work, live and play. It sells houses. Maybe its not such a good place when you're struggling to get by and live like crap. That would be true anywhere though. Another one I love is that Florida jobs are all tourist jobs. Far from the truth. Very far.
Outside of Orlando there arent any tourist meccas. Miami gets tourists, so does Tampa, but the venues to support the purported abundance of low paying tourism jobs does not exist in most of the state.

So, you and the few others keep on bashing FL and everything about it while posting information that is inaccurate, untrue or simply outdated and I will be around to attempt to provide accurate, true and up to date information whenever I can.

If those who hate it so much would just buck up and move on, the forum would serve a better purpose than people arguing back and forth about what is and what is not. I would get two jobs to hasten my departure if I had as much dislike for the state/area as some posters here do.
I would at least get a part time job in addition to my full time job just to finance my departure.

Like I said, I will email you links to the people I wrote about in disproving the "brain drain" tenant and I will be glad to send emails addressed to these folks, copied to and have them copy you with the replies. But of course that would not be enough to satisfy your disbelief that FL is not to everyone as it is to you.

Perhaps you should pop into the NYC forum here on CD and see what it is really like there. Maybe you should do the same with places in NJ as well. Dont pick little townships in the middle of no where but pick cities with populations and sizes of Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ocala, Melbourne, etc. You may be surprised at what you will learn. Here is a link to get you started http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=8532355

Spend less time bashing me and my postings and more time on getting out of your personal hell.

Quote:
It's funny how when I (and other people) post things in reference to the lives and experiences of people we know "up north" who may not think moving to Florida is the greatest thing ever......

You post links and state that your posts are based on FACT and not "people you know or have talked to" or what "you have heard"......

Your last post was COMPLETELY FILLED with stories about people you know who moved here and like it.....

What gives?.....

You said "the day to day life up north sucks"......based on what?....your opinion?...

Why is it that your opinion is FACT because you post a few links?..........

But you have anointed yourself as the personal defender of all things Florida and troll this forum just looking to start a pizzing match with anyone who dares say a negative word about your precious Florida or Spring Hill......

I pick and choose my spots (only 600+ posts since 2007 and a 730+ rep score) but you just show up in every thread over and over and over.......

When you post as much as you do...and argue with people as much as you do....

You're not "dispelling the mistruths"......you're just forcing your opinion on everyone as FACT.....

When you post and argue as much as you do.......

It's impossible for you not to be hypocritical in your arguments.....

Spring Hillian is all about FACTS ONLY.....

Except when the "non-facts" or "opinions" support his argument.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Try reading my 5000 and you will find that a lot of them have nothing to do with negative opinions. Many do. Why should the trash that gets posted be accepted by potential FL residents as gospel?
Why should they not be able to read the other side of the coin as it blows holes through the trash?

I dont "troll" the forum. I am a daily participant on it. Reading the endless flow of postings with mis information is what I find exhausting.

So many have negative opinions but few ever gain the tools to do something for themselves and correct their mistakes. I wonder why that is?

Quote:
You've got almost 5000 posts since 2009........

"dispelling the mistruths"......

Or "trolling the forum looking for the slightest negative opinion on Florida and start a tit for tat"....

It's the latter.....

And it's exhausting.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So, you know people who wouldnt live in FL and I know people who love it.

Yes, my posts are based on facts when I state them as factual information and back those statements with statistics or links to the statistics.
Instead of arguing with me, argue with the facts.

Your posts are the opposite of mine. You post a dislike of FL and you reference people you know who share the same opinion, but when I do the same thing its not OK, right?

Let's take a December day in NYC. Get up. Its 20 degrees outside. The landlord does not provide heat overnight so you fire up the stove/oven to warm up the apartment enough to take a shower without freezing your stuff off when you get out. (for 1200 a month rent). If it is a day for alternate side of the street parking, you need to move your car or it will get ticketed or towed. Finding a parking spot at 6 a.m. on a cold winter morning is miserable. So is digging the car out of the snow. So is the walk back to your apartment after parking 4 blocks away. Now its off to the subway. Pay your $2.50 fare, go wait on the platform where it is cold and windy as the train that comes in is "out of service" so you wait for the next one with is crammed beyond capacity with the people who got thrown off the first train as well as the normal crowd. What a joy it is being crammed into a subway car with 1,000 people wearing heavy coats. The stink can get overwhelming. You might even get to share the subway car with a passed out homeless fellow taking up 5 seat positions. Get off the subway and trudge to the office. Several blocks. Watch out when you step off the curb or you will step into 6 inches of cold slushy ice water and it will fill your shoes leaving your foot soaked. No fun walking to work with a wet foot in cold weather.
Buy your bagel, danish or roll and coffee and plunk down $5 for that. Oh, dag. Need cigarettes. Get a pack for $11.00 and head off to the office. Spend the morning with your wet foot, waiting for lunch time. Go out and grab a bite for $15.00 for a hamburger, fries and a coke. Back to the office and then repeat the trip to the subway again trying to avoid the slush on each corner as you are pushed and shoved along 5th Avenue. Get home, check the mail in the mailbox, hope the elevator is running and go to your apartment. Ah, the heat is on. Its been on all day so the apartment is hot and dry. Make dinner, watch some TV and repeat the next day. On weekends you go to the supermarket and the first thing that greets you is the stink. Go up and down the crowded aisles manuvering around the boxes of merchandise stacked in the aisles waiting to go on the shelf. Wait on long line for checkout. Lug your groceries home because a: you have a parking spot that is good for the next day so you dont have to move it in the morning. b: there is no place to park if you did drive to the supermarket. Another day. In the summer you get to live in a hot and humid apartment. You can't have air conditioning because the building built in the 1920s or 30's has an electrical system based on two 15 amp circuits and the fuse blows when if you turn on an ac unit. Also the fuse blows when you use the toaster and a hair dryer at the same time anywhere in the apartment. Its summer and its trash day. The piles of black plastic bags are stacked in front of each building stinking to all heck in the summer heat and humidity. Such as pleasure to pass by. Since it is summer, you can go to the beach. Once you find a spot to park your car you head to the sand. Walking over the sand requires shoes because it is 1/2 sand and 1/2 broken glass and crushed sea shells. The water temperature is a brisk 65 degrees. Watch out for the hypo needles, used diapers, coney island white fish (used condoms), sea weed and oil slick all rolling in the waves at the shoreline. Make sure your beach mate is watching your stuff at the blanket or it will all be gone by the time you get back from a dip. Radio, shoes, pants, shirt, blankets, wallet, keys, all gone. Now you can drive home and try to find a parking spot again. Hopefully some hoodlums won't stick a gun in your face and demand your wallet or cell phone while you are walking the three to four blocks from where you parked your car on your way back to the apartment. Once you get to the apartment you wonder if you put up your "No radio" sign on the car, attached the crook-lock which is a hooked bar that hooks around your brake pedal and steering wheel. It really does no good as all the thief has to do is cut the steering wheel and slide it off. The "no radio" sign is just an invitation to the thieves to smash your window for putting up the stupid sign in the first place. Go to the bank, wait on lines that stretch to the door. Go anywhere and wait on lines.
On monday you get to go to the subway where it is still crowded with people all the time. Its summer now and the stench of body odor will make you puke. You could drive to work. It would take about 90 minutes, the toll for the tunnel from Brooklyn to Manhattan is $5 each way. Parking on the street in Manhattan does not exist. Parking at a garage costs between 20 and 50 dollars a day. Its another wonderful day in the life of a Nyker.

Tell me how my posts are forcing my opinion on anyone. I am just stating the way it is. Dispelling the numerous "facts" that there are no jobs in FL, all jobs pay crap, the weather is unbearable 10 months out of the year, the traffic is insane, everybody is old and retired or young and poor and uneducated. I can go on about the alleged negatives but you know what they are.

I have no argument. When someone posts that most jobs pay minimum wage, I am going to post a link to a statistic that dismisses that premise as it is not true. Same with car insurance rates. I have seen people quote $4,000.00 a year rates as being normal. 50 percent of the drivers have no insurance, everyday is 90+ degrees with matching humidity numbers. I see posts telling people how bad it is in FL on a regular basis. Most of it is all b.s. with no factual backing whatsoever.
How about the poster who said Spring Hill was the "murder capital of FL". Never happened. When I posted the tally from the FDLE the poster said those numbers are all made up to make Spring Hill look good. To who? People who have never been here or were here 10 years ago post like they know what they are talking about.

You and many others never post links to what you believe is factual. I do. I guess it is all a conspiracy to show FL as a good place to work, live and play. It sells houses. Maybe its not such a good place when you're struggling to get by and live like crap. That would be true anywhere though. Another one I love is that Florida jobs are all tourist jobs. Far from the truth. Very far.
Outside of Orlando there arent any tourist meccas. Miami gets tourists, so does Tampa, but the venues to support the purported abundance of low paying tourism jobs does not exist in most of the state.

So, you and the few others keep on bashing FL and everything about it while posting information that is inaccurate, untrue or simply outdated and I will be around to attempt to provide accurate, true and up to date information whenever I can.

If those who hate it so much would just buck up and move on, the forum would serve a better purpose than people arguing back and forth about what is and what is not. I would get two jobs to hasten my departure if I had as much dislike for the state/area as some posters here do.
I would at least get a part time job in addition to my full time job just to finance my departure.

Like I said, I will email you links to the people I wrote about in disproving the "brain drain" tenant and I will be glad to send emails addressed to these folks, copied to and have them copy you with the replies. But of course that would not be enough to satisfy your disbelief that FL is not to everyone as it is to you.

Perhaps you should pop into the NYC forum here on CD and see what it is really like there. Maybe you should do the same with places in NJ as well. Dont pick little townships in the middle of no where but pick cities with populations and sizes of Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ocala, Melbourne, etc. You may be surprised at what you will learn. Here is a link to get you started http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=8532355

Spend less time bashing me and my postings and more time on getting out of your personal hell.
Once again.....

I have just over 600 posts since 2007....

So, I don't spend much time "bashing you and your postings"......

However, you have 5000 posts since 2009 and almost every posts is arguing with someone else...

Those are some FACTS for you to think about...

Also....

You need to remember that NYC (and Brooklyn) are TINY parts of the Northeast as a whole....

So your whole novel that you wrote in your last post doesn't (and wouldn't ever) apply to most people in the Northeast US.....

The rent (1200), the food, the subway, ect.....DOESN"T APPLY OUTSIDE OF NYC

It is nothing like that where I'm from and where my family and friends all live either.....

Dude....you are seriously arguing yourself in circles.....

You just gave us a 500 word essay on a "hypothetical day in NYC" and in the same post you said that you are "just stating the facts"....

Which one is it?

Give it a rest bro...

You accuse me of "hating Florida" and having "my personal hell"......

Did you read your post just now?....

You hate NYC and the Northeast WAY MORE than anyone on this forum dislikes things about FL....

HAHA!!!!!

I still can't believe you think I argue with you too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

POT MEET KETTLE.....

To the tune of 5000 posts of constant arguing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Tiny parts of the northeast? Brooklyn is the 4th largest "city" in the US.
NYC is the largest city in the US
You asked me what was so bad about NYC. I answered you.
Rents out side of NYC in the metro area are as high.
Big difference than a city and a far flung suburb. I grew up in a city.
NYC has some great attributes. I just wouldnt want to live there.
That wasnt a hypothetical day. It was real life. Those are facts.
You always think discussion is argument.
Enjoy your days in FL.

Quote:
Once again.....

I have just over 600 posts since 2007....

So, I don't spend much time "bashing you and your postings"......

However, you have 5000 posts since 2009 and almost every posts is arguing with someone else...

Those are some FACTS for you to think about...

Also....

You need to remember that NYC (and Brooklyn) are TINY parts of the Northeast as a whole....

So your whole novel that you wrote in your last post doesn't (and wouldn't ever) apply to most people in the Northeast US.....

The rent (1200), the food, the subway, ect.....DOESN"T APPLY OUTSIDE OF NYC

It is nothing like that where I'm from and where my family and friends all live either.....

Dude....you are seriously arguing yourself in circles.....

You just gave us a 500 word essay on a "hypothetical day in NYC" and in the same post you said that you are "just stating the facts"....

Which one is it?

Give it a rest bro...

You accuse me of "hating Florida" and having "my personal hell"......

Did you read your post just now?....

You hate NYC and the Northeast WAY MORE than anyone on this forum dislikes things about FL....

HAHA!!!!!

I still can't believe you think I argue with you too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

POT MEET KETTLE.....

To the tune of 5000 posts of constant arguing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida