Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:15 PM

18 posts, read 22,158 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've done quite a bit of reading on this site, and unfortunately I am getting conflicting information, partly because some of the posts go as far back as seven years ago. There has been a lot of helpful posts though, so I'm hoping you will extend that courtesy to me also.

I don't really define myself by my sexual orientation, which is gay, but because of that, I think I'm kind of missing out on being happy in some regards. My favorite activity is hiking, and I spend a lot of time in the outdoors. I'm from Michigan, but I've lived in Kentucky for the past seven years. I love it here, but I don't have much in the way of a social life in the small town I currently live in.

I've been to Jacksonville and Fort Walton Beach. I really loved the atmosphere of Jacksonville at night and it is probably at the top of my list. I've also thought about St. Petersburg, even though I know I'd probably be sacrificing the nature if I moved there. Do you think any of these would be good choices for me? And is there any specific neighborhood or area I should be looking at?

As far as cost, I'm not looking to buy a house. I'd only want to do that if I felt like I had finally found the place I want to spend the rest of my life. I do prefer to rent houses over apartments though and my budget would be ~$1500, although the less, the better (xD).

I don't consider my needs very complex. Basically, I love solitude, but I'm human, and I enjoy interaction with others also and would like to live somewhere I feel pretty welcome. I need a place where I can balance the two. Something close to both city life and nature where I can do some exploring (though it just occurred to me exploring in FL might get you killed by an alligator, haha). Maybe I should consider somewhere else. I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by rswfire; 12-29-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
As a gay male with similar interests who has lived elsewhere, I would recommend looking outside of Florida. If you want an outdoorsy environment with hiking, etc. and a welcoming gay-friendly community check out a few cities in North Carolina. Check out Asheville, Winston Salem and Durham. I have a good working knowledge of all three cities and would be happy to answer any questions if you want to send me a direct message.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the advice, Kyle. I've decided I'm going to take a road trip for a few months starting in February and explore the places you mentioned as well as Jacksonville, St. Pete, and Miami. It's not an easy decision to make and research will only get me so far. NC happens to be one of the places I always considered (Raleigh specifically) so they are good suggestions.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
Might I ask why you want somewhere in North Florida? Seems most of the LGBT-friendly areas are in South Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, etc).

Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Might I ask why you want somewhere in North Florida? Seems most of the LGBT-friendly areas are in South Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, etc).
That's true...but it's very tropical there. I'm gay, but that's just one part of me. I have a really deep love for nature...wooded forests in particular...and palm trees are just not my thing basically. I have a friend in Jacksonville who says there is still some "normal" nature in the north part of the city...and from what I could see on Google Maps, it seems like he's right.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,339,799 times
Jacksonville is essentially Lower Alabama. I'll let you figure out the mindset from there. If you don't wish to go further south, than St. Pete should be OK.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 AM

910 posts, read 2,217,460 times
Must admit when I first read this topic's name, I was concerned that the question was from someone homophobic who wanted to move to a less gay-friendly area ! Relieved to see it is simply about a less TROPICAL area that is gay friendly.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Must admit when I first read this topic's name, I was concerned that the question was from someone homophobic who wanted to move to a less gay-friendly area ! Relieved to see it is simply about a less TROPICAL area that is gay friendly.
Ha. Funny thing, grammar.

That didn't cross my mind when I posted this. I'll add a comma! (or not, apparently can't edit at this point)

I live in KY, so I can't imagine AL is much worse. Maybe it is such a cultural difference in FL (I really wouldn't know) that you guys think I am looking for some magical place there where gay people have made some sort of promised land for themselves, ha.

I'm more interested in living in an area where I have not separated myself from the nature I love, or from the people I am most likely to connect with. There is quite literally nothing around here for me to do. I sacrifice one over the other. If I went to South Florida, I'd be doing the same thing, only sacrificing the opposite.

But, who knows, maybe I would like the tropical atmosphere...for a few years, at least. There's nothing that says it has to be permanent, though moving is not as much fun as it was when I was in my early 20's. If I did go to South Florida, I would still need some kind of outlet from the world where I get adequate fresh air and exercise.

I work from home, so I spend a lot of time indoors. The hikes I go on are generally 15-20 miles in length on the weekends, 6 miles on weekdays.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
I would go with Tampa, specifically, Ybor City

Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 PM

511 posts, read 491,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Jacksonville is essentially Lower Alabama. I'll let you figure out the mindset from there. If you don't wish to go further south, than St. Pete should be OK.
That would be lower Georgia to the geographically challenged.
Actually...Jacksonville has a quite large gay community...especially in the Riverside/Avondale area.
Regardless of what people who don't live in Jacksonville will tell you...I think you would find Jacksonville a great place to live.
We've been here 4 years and absolutely LOVE it!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida