Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

He works in South FL. He has some OT in there definitely. I think his base is in the $84k range.

I dont work in the ems/fire profession, but I thought about it at one time, even got my EMT. But I was in Asheville NC at the time, and starting salary was $28,500 for a FF. The only way you're gonna get in the $60k-70k-80k range was to be a chief and/or capt and it'd probably take 12-15 yrs. I couldn't afford to wait til I'm 45 yrs old to make $50k. I was already used to making $45k down here and financially I just thought it was best for me to go back into construction management.

Gotta great job with a great contractor down here (again, moved back n forth twice now) and am able to make good coin again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I'm a fire medic too and ride as driver/engineer, which is a promotion. I don't work over time, but I'm only around $80,000. I work for Tampa which is the highest paying dept in the Tampa bay area.

Maybe your down in South Florida. I do know some of Miami-dade's firefighters can make that or your buddy is working a LOT of over time.
LOL, it's funny you said "only $80k." Guys at the Asheville Fire Dept (some of which I know) would flip out if they made even close to that.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
and they were able to stay in business.

Which union represented the workers who lost their jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
This particular company and many others in Ohio saw they could rip out equipment and truck it to Mexico and send the products back here and make a ton of money doing so.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Since there is a similar thread going on, I thought I'd start a "how much do you make?" thread, where you can include your income, or income range, and what field you are in.

Totally up to you guys if you want to share... I think the pay in FL is not "that bad" and think that aside from probably Charlotte and Raleigh, FL pays just as much as any other areas in the South.

So I'll go first...

To the OP and other people who may think like OP.Flordia economy is based on service sector economy this means retail ,fast food ,restaurants and tourism not business or industry.

So unless you a doctor or lawyer you will not be making over 100K.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
LOL, it's funny you said "only $80k." Guys at the Asheville Fire Dept (some of which I know) would flip out if they made even close to that.
Haha! Yea, I didn't mean it sound like I didn't make much. I never thought I would make $80k a year,and I'm very happy with my income. I am Very fortunate to be doing as well as I am. I was just saying "only" in comparison to your buddy's $120k doing the same job.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM

How about places other than Orlando and other major tourist spots; how to they get along with out tourism?

There is as much business and industry here as anywhere else. It may not be all hi tech, but its here.

Who supports the retailers, restaurants, housing market, etc. Its not tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
To the OP and other people who may think like OP.Flordia economy is based on service sector economy this means retail ,fast food ,restaurants and tourism not business or industry.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
So is it doctors and lawyers that own and run all of these theme parks/attractions, swanky hotels and restaurants in the Orlando area?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How about places other than Orlando and other major tourist spots; how to they get along with out tourism?

There is as much business and industry here as anywhere else. It may not be all hi tech, but its here.

Who supports the retailers, restaurants, housing market, etc. Its not tourists.

Got a link to prove that?.....

Florida has "as much industry as anywhere else"???????????????????????????????

News to me.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

News to me.
Plenty of recent activity on the space coast

Future of Space Coast big businesses...

Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM

I thought you hate links. Here are just a few. There are many places in the state that have no ties to tourism at all.

Yes, there is more to FL than the tourism industry believe it or not.

www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=95[/url]

Economy Strengths:

International Trade (40% of all U.S. exports to Latin and South America pass through Florida)

Tourism - with 87.3 million visitors in 2011 (a record number), Florida is the top travel destination in the world. The tourism industry has an economic impact of $67 billion on Florida’s economy. Click here for additional tourism facts and statistics.

Space Industry - The space industry represents $4.1 billion of the state's economy. The average annual wage of aerospace workers is approximately $67,000. The number employed at Kennedy Space Center (KSC) alone is 13,000 and Florida ranks 4th among the states in overall aerospace employment with 33,000 jobs.

Agriculture - Florida leads the southeast in farm income. Florida produces about 67% of the U.S. oranges and accounts for about 40% of the world's orange juice supply.

Construction - This industry's strength results from the steady stream of new residents and visitors who are welcomed to Florida each year.

Services - growth in high tech, financial & back office operations

Software - many small, entrepreneurial companies

Health Technology (medical, biotech, laboratories)

University Research - more than $500 million per year in sponsored research at Florida universities

www.eflorida.com/Manufacturing.aspx?id=154[/url]

Florida manufacturers are a powerful economic engine for the state's economy. ManyFlorida manufacturing operations benefit from the presence of advanced research facilities at Florida's universities and colleges, military installations, and NASA.The industry cluster counts nearly 18,000 manufacturers who employ some 311,300 workers across the state.

Diverse and Stable Industry: Florida's manufacturing industries are diverse and include companies in traditional manufacturing industries, such as plastics, food processing and printing, as well as those that are engaged in breakthrough technologies, like electronics, medical devices and aviation/aerospace.

Competent Workforce: Florida has a strong, skilled manufacturing workforce, which represents about 5% of the state's workforce. Additionally, the state's multicultural and multilingual workforce provides Florida manufacturers with an excellent advantage in conducting business overseas.

Florida has the Employ Florida Banner Center for Manufacturing and workforce training programs that are responsive to industry needs, resulting in greater growth and profitability for Florida manufacturers.

BioFlorida | Florida biotechnology, medical devices, diagnostics and pharmaceuticals

BioFlorida Members at work. BioFlorida advocates on behalf of its Members and the industry. BioFlorida is the voice of Florida's bioscience industry.

flcitrusmutual.com › Citrus 101‎

Offering a look at the history of citrus and the Florida industry.

www.miasf.org/‎
Marine Industries Association of South Florida members - comprised of marinas, boatyards, boat builders, megayacht manufacturers, yacht and charter brokers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

News to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida