U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 AM

57 posts, read 424,476 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Southwest Florida. Work is not an issue; we can go where we choose, but my parents are in Naples and we'd like to be near them, but not too close. Looking for afforadable, half hour max from coast, small-er town, nice family community, decent schools. I've done some looking at real estate online and wow. We've vacationed at Siesta Key before, and really like the Sarasota area but need to keep a home (for 3 kids and home office) under $270,000. North Port looks like a great fit - anyone have an opinion??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 AM

7 posts, read 25,456 times
North Port is a great area. I've got a brother that lives there and he loves it. I live in Missouri, but love to go down for vacation. I've been thinking of the Spring Hill area for myself. I also like close, but not too close. NP is close to some good beaches, has some good schools, the crime rate is low, and only 2 hrs from Orlando. Makes a nice weekend trip.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,385 times
Default what about job commute

My husband and I have a 5 yr old and also looking for something around 250,000 or under. North Port does look good, but concerned about the job commute. He is in electronics, and I am a computer administrator.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 AM
pmc

2 posts, read 7,349 times
I live and work in Sarasota; some people with whom I work live in Northport and have to drive each day (30 min) to Sarasota via I-75. It seems that at least once a week there is an accident on I-75 and those folks sit in traffic for at least 1/2 hour, so they get to work late on those days that an accident may occur.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,524,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg33
My husband and I have a 5 yr old and also looking for something around 250,000 or under. North Port does look good, but concerned about the job commute. He is in electronics, and I am a computer administrator.
braedenton I have heard is nice, there is a new development I think it is called lakewood ranch which has alot for children right in it.

judy

Old 09-17-2006, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,448 times
Wink Nice Area

I moved myself to North Port 3 months ago. I love it. My advice: read the North Port newspaper every once in while. (www.sun-herald.com) This web-page www.city-data.com is also good, but it is not update. The population now is about 50,000. If you are a nature-lover, like relax lifestyle and friendly neighbors North Port is for you.
There are a few new communities coming soon. Dozens of builders who will build in your lot or theirs. Standard lots are 10,000 sqft, they run from low 20's to high 50's. Commute may be a problem if you come from an small town, if you come from a big city, this is nothing. Anyways, the city is working on repaving and widing the streets. Take a visit to the area (I-75, exits 182 and 179, go west) The mayority of the new Communities and Builders' Models are over Toledo Blade Blvd, Price Blvd and Sumter Blvd
Good Luck!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,448 times
Angry Do not move to North Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Parschauer View Post
We are contemplating a move to Southwest Florida. Work is not an issue; we can go where we choose, but my parents are in Naples and we'd like to be near them, but not too close. Looking for afforadable, half hour max from coast, small-er town, nice family community, decent schools. I've done some looking at real estate online and wow. We've vacationed at Siesta Key before, and really like the Sarasota area but need to keep a home (for 3 kids and home office) under $270,000. North Port looks like a great fit - anyone have an opinion??
Do not move to North Port! We are getting out as soon as we can. Every piece of land with trees is being demolished, there are over 700 empty brand new homes that are being built for no reason, the traffic is terrible, pot holes everywhere, a very corrupt police department, not enough schools , taxes in Sarasota County are too high and getting higher, crime is escalating rapidly. Do not move to North Port!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 PM

32 posts, read 131,337 times
Jennifer P.
I say go ahead and move to North Port. This is a lovely area. My entire family moved to North Port within the last 2 to 5 years and they absolutely love it. You are always going to find someone who will find the negatives about a place, taxes and properties are high everywhere, crime is everywhere. Based on the description of the commute, I would not worry about it. That is an easy breeze commute for me. I now live in Massachusetts, and I only live 40 minutes from Boston where I work and it takes me every day of my life 1 1/2 hours in the good weather each day to get to work and 2 hours and sometimes more if it snows. So the commute in Sarasota sounds like a breeze. The bottomline is that it is all in what you are use to and making the adjustments as needed whenever you move to some place new. Follow your heart and I am sure you will make the right decision. I am planning to move to Sarasota, Fruitville area as soon as I sell my property. Good Luck!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,679 times
Default North Port

I moved to North Port from Ohio in 2001 with my wife and son who was in the 10th grade. My 34 year old son and 30 year old daughter have also moved to the area in the past 4 years. We hope that we never have to leave, we love it here. The Sarasota school system is excellent. We are within a 30 minute drive to the gulf beaches in Englewood but we do not have the congestion of the Fort Myers or Sarasota areas.

North Port has been experiencing growing pains in the past few years as 3000 homes per year were built, but building has decreased considrably this year. The prices of homes and vacant lots have decreased substantially. 1500 sq' homes can be found for under 200k, and vacant lots can be bought for 30k (1yr. ago they sold for 50k and up). In my opinion this is a great time to purchase a home or to purchase a vacant lot for building on in the future.

Many people who work in Sarasota have built homes in North Port because of its affordability. You can drive to most areas of Sarasota in 30 miniutes.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 AM

80 posts, read 309,528 times
I've invested in North Port real estate for over 14 years and have done VERY well.

It offers Gulf Coast living at a discount over higher priced areas like Sarasota, Venice and Ft. Myers.

For every one person moving out of the area they are many moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida