U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 06:57 AM

7 posts, read 25,418 times

Advertisements

Hi thanks for all the help we plan to visit Florida soon to have a look around. We have alredy been to California and particularly liked areas such as Irvine but we did find house prices much more expensive compared to Florida. We are now favouring Florida more as us Irish like to enjoy ourselves!!

I would be planning to have my own business as an home based daycare centre - that is what I do here, although in Ireland it is not at all regulated or licensed so will probably have to do some exams to get started in USA but I do have excellent references from parents here.

What are the normal holidays that workers get there anything I have read has said 2 weeks this seems awful low here we get 4 minimum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM

819 posts, read 1,204,294 times
You come from Dublin, a really big city, so go to Tampa Bay (Tampa-St. Pteresburgh-Clearwater) or Greater Miami (Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm).....the rest of Florida is a dump.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,654,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazee View Post

I would be planning to have my own business as an home based daycare centre - that is what I do here, although in Ireland it is not at all regulated or licensed so will probably have to do some exams to get started in USA but I do have excellent references from parents here.

What are the normal holidays that workers get there anything I have read has said 2 weeks this seems awful low here we get 4 minimum?
If starting your own business in Florida, especially one concerning children, check out the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations website:

http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/ (broken link)

I know there are different regualtion depending on in-home, vs. out of home care, and the amount of children you will be taking care of.

At any rate, as far as vacation goes, Americans are starved for vacation. 2 weeks is normal (if that), although some lucky people have 3 weeks. 4 weeks is almost unheard of. Generally, the more seniority you have in big companies, the more vacation you get (and vacation time often doesn't "kick in" at ALL until you've been there for a certain amount of time). Also, you have to be wary as some offer only "unpaid" time off!!!!

Government workers seem to have it nicer than the private sector though, lol!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
Default Fom Dublin living in Boca Raton FL and loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazee View Post
Hi

We are planning to move from Dublin, Ireland to either Florida or California and would really appreciate any advice/opinions.

We have decided to leave Ireland because of the high cost of living in Dublin and the weather so we want somewhere warm and good quality of life instead of working to just pay the mortgage. My husband would be transferring within his current company he works in IT and I would set up a family day care setting in my own home - as I like to be at home with my own children especially with the stress of such a big move.

We are favouring Florida as our choice as it seems to have lower cost of living and housing is cheaper or are the wages higher in California to balance these costs out. My husband loves Motocross so California would be his choice if money was not an issue.

Can anyone advise re Tampa vs Coral Springs/ Fort Lauderdale area vs Jacksonville these are the 3 areas that would be options for us. We have one 4 year old and another one on the way so we want a nice family area, with good schools and low crime. Is Tampa as bad as it's crime rate suggests?

I'd apprecaiet any advice/info.

Thanks
Hi there,
My Name is Naomi originally from Dublin. I live in Boca raton Fl. We love it here.Very safe and kid friendly, lots of parks and the sea side at your feet.
There are plenty of business opp if your husband is in the it field. Business parks abound. Cost of living is much lower that it would be in California.
Boca is considered up market so cost of living here is slightly higher.
Coral springs ft lauderdale are good areas too. I would not advise Tampa or jacksonville. Re how much would a child care position make you per week.
My Husband works with several women whose kids are in Child care.
They pay a minimum of $150 per week per child.
Hope this helps Google Boca raton and you will find city's website
Best
of luck
Naomi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or