Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the whole U.S. had the same climate as FL, would you still want to live in FL?
Yes 14 29.17%
No 34 70.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,182 times

Advertisements

Hmm I've been here over 4 years now right below Sarasota coming from the Cincinnati area and came with the mindset of seeing all different types of people down here from everywhere being it was Florida and expected, a difference from what you normally see in Ohio. It surprises me what I thought was once nice people and fellow Ohioians have become so judgemental of others since moving here. I have been to Miami and South Beach now a few times and enjoyed my time there, I did not view everyone as walking around with Aids or me scared to sit down anywhere. I saw people there for the same reasons I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,182 times
As far as never leaving Ohio if it had Florida's climate, I can honestly say I would be on the fence about that one. I do prefer the warmer climate that lasts much longer here than up north, I like seeing flowers in bloom and the smell of fresh cut grass in January down here, over slushy brown snow piled up along the roads after a good snow up north. I think if Ohio had the year round warmth and the palms and the water PLUS the deep valleys and hills of up north, then yes I never would have left. It is a huge decision leaving the friends and family you know of up north to come here so if Ohio could offer what Florida naturally has, why would I want to leave? But I do love and miss home up there, and I also like it here. Sometimes you have to leave a place in order to gain a new appreciation for it after being there awhile.

Last edited by FringedNFab; 01-17-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 05:28 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
We moved to Florida for a job. Weather had nothing to do with it, so this question is moot for us. If my husband's apps had been accepted in Ohio, Maine, or Ireland, we would be there today instead of Florida.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 PM

167 posts, read 246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I have been to Miami and South Beach now a few times and enjoyed my time there, I did not view everyone as walking around with Aids or me scared to sit down anywhere. I saw people there for the same reasons I was.
Lol like I've said before, one shouldn't believe these people on the Internet. They over exaggerate, are negative nancies, racist, ignorant and more. If you wanna know the truth then experience it for yourself or have a trustworthy person tell you and preferably prove it.

Lastly, you were in the city and the Beach. The aids here are outside the city in Broward county. But last time I read up on it, which was a few years ago, the aids came from the homosexuals.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
Lol like I've said before, one shouldn't believe these people on the Internet. They over exaggerate, are negative nancies, racist...
I can't help but wonder where race came into the thread, before you threw that out there. Is this (racist) a label you throw around a lot?

Last edited by amylewis; 01-18-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
PLEEAASSEEEE

I grew up and lived in the cold weather states and it does not have any advantage unless you are a snow boarder, love to slide on ice for the thrill and get exercise from shoveling snow and ice.

Wow, we built a couple snow men the last year we were in Ohio and said the heck with that, give me the beach!!!

huge insect? Where? Been here 3 years and one single mosquito bite. Do not and have not seen bugs in or around my home at all.

3 total snakes now in 3 years. 1 dead, and two tiny ones. And we cover a lot of Florida to see things.

Have not seen a wild alligator, only ones in cages.

Not seen any red tide and we are a beach loving family.

Love bugs are gone in a week or so and are not an issue.

Pythons? Where? Have not seen these either.

Scare tactics again posted.

Why post in the Florida forum at all?
What ya been smoking to speak so delusional? Perhaps you've got beach sand in your eyes, well don't worry cause I'm about to wash it out. There were no exaggerations in my comments but yours are a stretch. Snow & ice? Is that a everyday occurrence in Ohio or does it happen periodically? Cause from where I sit come tomorrow will be our 2nd snowstorm of the season, granted the season isn't over but it's a rarity to have more than 3 major storms per winter. Anyone who knows anything about FL is aware of your humungous insect population & the wide variety of strange insects that dwell there. Ask Ohioans what are Love Bugs, betcha they'll scratch their heads with a look of puzzlement, same goes for anywhere else up north or ask when's the last time a lizard got into their house, how about a black widow spider? And yeah, south FL has huge GIANT PYTHONS running amok that have eaten almost every living creature in the everglades & now they're branching out going north. The Love Bugs look like something from a biblical plaque!! I know cause we encountered them & were shocked at the abundance seeing the sky speckled. And yes there is advantages to cold weather, it kills air borne virus's, insects (yea!!!), ya won't find any giant palmetto bugs here & purifies the air. But if your only concern is soaking up sun, adding to your 101 age/sun spots, having skin that looks like leather, sweat pouring outta your pores like rain then FL is awesome! Florida IMO is great place to vacation but hell no I wouldn't want to live there & hell no I wouldn't want your over bearing hot scorching sun, soupy & sticky humid air for 7-9 months in the year. Having 3-4 months of that s*#@ up here is enough!

Why post in the Florida forum at all?[/quote]

Because it's such a huge forum with interesting topics, I've met many CD friends here, but most of all............because I can!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM

49 posts, read 88,058 times
Maybe I just dont get the pemise of this thread but it seems to me if every place in the US had the exact same climate as Florida, what would be the point of moving to Florida? If, for example, every state in the Midwest and Great Plains was on the Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast, and no place in the region was more than 60 miles from a coast, and you had nice sunny warm weather all the time no matter the season and real nice sandy white beaches, why move to Florida unless it was for a high paying job? And are the vast majority of people who move to Florida moving there for the high paying jobs? I kind doubt it. I heard most all the jobs there pay quite a bit less than the same job in other states.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
If the rest of the country had weather just like Florida then i see no reason to go to Florida. In fact if the weather accross the country were just like Florida i'd be in a bit of a quandary as i really enjoy 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida