U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM

132 posts, read 426,010 times

Advertisements

Okay...so hubby got offered the job in MASS!!!! but due to house blahs here we are having to put off the move. His would be boss up there is willing to hold the job open for a year!!! awesome company, awesome boss....heres the thing....we are going to get an appraisal done on our house, but wanted outside opinions since you guys are more than 1 appraiser's insight.

My house is 2000+ square feet AC. It is 3 years old. Very open floor plan. It is acutally a 3/2, but in one of the bedrooms, we have a built in giant hutch instead of a closet. Would be easy to convert back, but makes a nice game room and den. Kitchen has all Viking appliances, granite countertops, custom cabinets. We have a pool. Floors are Amtico...really cool stuff....looks like wood, but it is really thick PVC...with 4 boxers, it is indestructable! 2 car garage, but has been split to make office. Also, with some creativity, it can be made into a 2 story as there is room up there, but we didnt need it.

We are on 3 acres with 500+ acres behind us that is supposedly wetlands, but there are tons of cows on there...we are in the middle of plant city, but not plant city proper...not the walden lakes district...we are in the country! What do you guys think it is worth? Our real estate lady said things will not get better until 2009! YIKES...she said sometime next year all the tons of foreclosures will begin to get cleared up and then we will see another dip in prices...yikes.... and then in mid 09 things should come back up, but very, very llittle. That stinks....

Anyway...any input would be appreciated....we are so happy to be moving...I can hardly stand it, but I don't want to make a stupid decision on this house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,890,031 times
You would be better off getting opinions from agents in your area.
Even if you have a realtor you are going with it will not hurt to get other opinions from realtors and also find out what they will do for you marketing wise.
I am sure you will get opinions on here but unless those people live in the area it would be impossible to get any kind of valid price opinion.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Well, I don't know about Plant City, but Dade City real estate market is scary bad - there are NO lookers out there and very few sales - we have our little house on an acre for sale there with only one showing. Since we have already moved and the payments are killing us, we are about to see if we can do a "short sale".

Good luck on yours, maybe Plant City market is better.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 PM

548 posts, read 389,849 times
Not to be a smarty pants, but your house is worth what a buyer will pay you for it. There really is no other answer.

You will know you priced your house properly when you start getting solid offers from buyers with solid financing. As far as what it is worth, what a real estate agent tells you does not matter, what your neighbors tell you does not matter, what I tell you does not matter. What buyers tell you is all that matters.

A rough idea of what to list the house for would be to check comparable sales over the last 2 years and track the prices. If comparable houses sold for $300,000 2 years ago, $275,000 last year, and $250,000 3 months ago...well I guess you know which direction the market is going. And you will know you have to set an aggressive price to attract attention.

Next, check the houses in your area for rent. A comparable house will probably rent for 110-150 times what you could sell for, depending on current market conditions.

Lastly, find out what the median income is in your area.

Your buyer will most likely depend on getting a loan. The lenders in Florida now are requiring several recent comparables and a income multiple of not more than 3. If you price higher than 3 times median area income, you are greatly reducing the possible numbers of buyers who could get financing to buy your house.

Once you have area rents, median income, and some comparable sale prices over the last few years, please come on back. At that point posters can give you a better opinion on the price.

If you can find a real estate agent that you can trust, ask them to get this information for you. But in the end, you set the price. Some agents may give you a high number to attract your listing.....but that is not happening very much lately due to so many listings being on the market.

Other agents will get you to set the price to low so they get the quick commission and quick sale, but you sell for too low a price.

Make sure the price you set makes sense when compared to the area rents, income, and comparables.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 PM

yeah, my real estate lady said wait!!!! wait!!! yuk...want out!! but like I said...i dont want to do something stupid.

Stuff isnt moving here either. for sale signs everywhere. Like I said in another post, if i had to live in Florida, this is where I would live, very country and very close to stuff, but still this is NOT a buyers market..what is going to happen next gang!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,392,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
Okay...so hubby got offered the job in MASS!!!! but due to house blahs here we are having to put off the move. His would be boss up there is willing to hold the job open for a year!!! awesome company, awesome boss....heres the thing....we are going to get an appraisal done on our house, but wanted outside opinions since you guys are more than 1 appraiser's insight.

My house is 2000+ square feet AC. It is 3 years old. Very open floor plan. It is acutally a 3/2, but in one of the bedrooms, we have a built in giant hutch instead of a closet. Would be easy to convert back, but makes a nice game room and den. Kitchen has all Viking appliances, granite countertops, custom cabinets. We have a pool. Floors are Amtico...really cool stuff....looks like wood, but it is really thick PVC...with 4 boxers, it is indestructable! 2 car garage, but has been split to make office. Also, with some creativity, it can be made into a 2 story as there is room up there, but we didnt need it.

We are on 3 acres with 500+ acres behind us that is supposedly wetlands, but there are tons of cows on there...we are in the middle of plant city, but not plant city proper...not the walden lakes district...we are in the country! What do you guys think it is worth? Our real estate lady said things will not get better until 2009! YIKES...she said sometime next year all the tons of foreclosures will begin to get cleared up and then we will see another dip in prices...yikes.... and then in mid 09 things should come back up, but very, very llittle. That stinks....

Anyway...any input would be appreciated....we are so happy to be moving...I can hardly stand it, but I don't want to make a stupid decision on this house!
First, it is just a house. It was not built by your grandfather or in the family for generations. You can close the door and walk away without the least regret. It is just dollars and cents to you now and you have to take a very realistic look at what you really want. Staying in that house and hating everyday of it is not worth a few dollars.

You are a motivated seller from what I read. I believe the moment you sign the papers and walk out of that house you will not have another thought or regret as you get on with the life you want. I think your ages plays a significant role in your decisions. Time has a way of getting away from you and the really good years are few. What is the house worth, a willing buyer and a willing seller coming together.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:25 PM

CJ, you gave me a lot to think about for sure. I hate to look at the comps in this area over the past 3 to 4 years. Good grief. I know what we paid for this house and a year later what it got appraised for when we went to refinance..omg!!! it tripled...now...oh, i dont want to think about it. Rentals...uummmmm there are only a couple of like little shacks way way up the street...they look like they would fall apart if you ran past them too fast. Last I checked, get this...they were going for 1,000 a month...I cannot imagine....they were scarey!!! as far as income...WOW...thats a crossfire. Immagrants from the field about 0.5 miles away, business owners across the street, landscapers, verizon workers...income probably goes from one end to the other. I have to do some research...but you are right....its worth what someone will pay for it! i just want to make a smart decision here.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:26 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,157,156 times
Can you provide photo(s)? Trying to determine how much a home is worth in today's world is a little like asking someone how long do you think I'll live? I don't believe anyone can say anymore. Where you live also influences price but that is just one aspect.

You live on 3-acres. It sounds like a lovely setting. Provide pictures please. Thanks!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 PM

548 posts, read 389,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
CJ, you gave me a lot to think about for sure. I hate to look at the comps in this area over the past 3 to 4 years. Good grief. I know what we paid for this house and a year later what it got appraised for when we went to refinance..omg!!! it tripled...now...oh, i dont want to think about it. Rentals...uummmmm there are only a couple of like little shacks way way up the street...they look like they would fall apart if you ran past them too fast. Last I checked, get this...they were going for 1,000 a month...I cannot imagine....they were scarey!!! as far as income...WOW...thats a crossfire. Immagrants from the field about 0.5 miles away, business owners across the street, landscapers, verizon workers...income probably goes from one end to the other. I have to do some research...but you are right....its worth what someone will pay for it! i just want to make a smart decision here.
I see, the amount of information you will have to work with is very limited.

In that case do the best you can. Find an agent you trust, sit them down, look them in the eyes, and ask them what you could get for your house and ask them to explain their reasoning for the price they want you to set.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Yeah, Macguy...you have a way with words for sure...like that..cut to the chase....I wont have a regret except that I dont want to get kicked in the shorts because we owe so little on this house and really hope it can carry us to buy another house in Mass, which will be sold at the time of retirement to fund us for life....I sure could walk away with 12 cents in my pocket, but hubby has worked very hard and i dont want that to be for nothing...though a great life is just sitting there waiting on us for sure! and you are right about age...as my brother says...this isnt dress rehersal...its the real thing, final curtain call!!! LOL....keep the input coming...i just want some opinions....if its a buyers market should we be buying now in MA.

Our tax advisor said the best place for retirement is Georgia and West Virginia because of low retirement taxes and low property taxes....so he said when we got ready to retire to set up residency in either of those places....but we can "stay" anywhere... someone told me that in Georgia, once you hit 60 or 62 that they remove the school tax from your property taxes and it reduces your tax significantly....ummmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida