Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We live in South Daytona (about 6 miles from New Smyrna). You will love it there. Friendly people mainland side, feels sort of country w/ a mix of downtown art events, and the beach side (just a very short bridge away) has the beach and all that. Cocoa beach is beautiful, but as you mentioned it's pretty boring. There is stuff to do in New Smyrna. It is not a biker destination. Daytona is. During bike week we went to New Smyrna all the time just to get away from that. Bikers want cheap hotels and cheap bars, and that's not the scene in New Smyrna at all. It's hardly Deep South (no place in Florida is. Redneck does not mean Deep South), it's sort of country, at least the mainland side. The beach side is a mix of locals and some of the most annoying, monied Yankees you will ever meet in your life. But that's Florida.
I have lived in the Central Florida area for a long time. While New Smyrna Beach isn't a biker "destination" they're are certainly hundreds of them in/out of town on the weekend all up and down that area of the coast from Sebastian Inlet north to Flagler Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Palm Coast population is 77,000, Sebastian's is 22,000...that alone should make it obvious in terms of things to do. Palm Coast is very low density, a planned community spread out over many miles, and Sebastian is not. Then consider to go anywhere "sizable" from Sebastian one has to drive around 30 minutes to the "burgeoning" (hardly) city of Palm Bay. Palm Coast by comparison is an easy hour's drive from either the Jacksonville or Orlando metros.
Sebastian is 25 minutes from Melbourne which has plenty to offer. It's 10 minutes from Vero Beach, which also has a lot to offer. The Sebastian-Vero Beach msa has a population of 141,000 with planned, traditional,semi urban, rural, and suburban communities. I don't think you know as much about the area as you think.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 77,266 times
I live in a rural part of NJ right now and grew up in north jersey, but my second home is St. Augustine, so I think I have an idea of what you're asking. I love St. Augustine because there are so many different areas. There's St. Augustine proper that's just a great place to hang out plus a college town. There is always something going on, either a concert in the park, art shows, etc etc. Go over either the Lions Bridge or the 312 bridge and you are one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Our 1st home was on Anastasia island but 20 yrs ago my parents moved down A1A to Cresent Beach where it's a little more quiet. Beautiful beach and a little less crazy plus and you have a choice of either ocean or bay side down there. US1 runs parallel to A1A pretty much, but more inland and you find horse farms and more elbow room around the Rt 206 area. I like where they are now since we are in their middle of it all - we can go into St. Augustine or Palm Coast for shopping, or Flagler Beach to listen to listen to our friend play with his Latin band at the wine bar, or pick up a dinner cruise. On thing I like about Palm Coast is the Portuguese population which translates into awesome food! Never worried about crime at any of these areas.
As for fishing, it's awesome. You will do great just about anywhere, but we are particular to the Matanzas Inlet area.
We have friends that live in Stuart and we visit twice a year, and although it's nice, it's a bit too crowded for me. Shopping all the up and down the main boulevard which translates to more congestion. I tended to see a lot more of the older retirees there, so considering that, the convenience of shopping and dining makes sense.
We are in the process of moving ourselves and are looking to be further south only because of work in Orlando, and boy am I having a hard time!! So if anyone reads this, even I'm open to recommendations for a suburb of Orlando where I can still make it to the beach in half hour or under. Best of luck Mariatee!!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichoto-me View Post
We are in the process of moving ourselves and are looking to be further south only because of work in Orlando, and boy am I having a hard time!! So if anyone reads this, even I'm open to recommendations for a suburb of Orlando where I can still make it to the beach in half hour or under. Best of luck Mariatee!!
The only way you can be within 30 minutes of the beach is to be further from Orlando. Not an easy task. The only place I can think of is Lake Helen. It's about 30 minutes from New Smyrna, but 40 minutes from Orlando.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 01-26-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida