U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 02:35 PM

504 posts, read 618,933 times

Advertisements

Having been to all of mentioned places, just I guess one can't really understand how much better plus more unique Wegmans really is than the rest. Wegmans, or the ones built in last ten years say, are like ten times a Publix in selection, uniqueness and quality. Something like aspects of a gourmet store better than Whole Foods, aspects of a top line chefs restaurant, aspects of Trader Joe with better and more consistent selection, and generally speaking better prices on many things than all of them though some items are high in Wegmans too. We keep trying to go to the dozen publix near us to see if we can come close to Wegmans and unforunately they are just so far apart that there really is no comparison.

Publix does try, they try bringing in cooks, but Wegmans hires chefs. Publix trys to bring in international food but nobody buys it, and it is like tiny selection to Wegmans that has tons (like isles and isles) from the world. Publix is like a slightly spiffed up Giant in the northeast rather than a comparison to Wegmans really.

Whole Foods trys to be like Wegmans but charges ten times for half the quality.

Trader Joe has those occasional deals, but such inconsistency that it is kind of a different thing though I like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 02:57 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Having been to all of mentioned places, just I guess one can't really understand how much better plus more unique Wegmans really is than the rest. Wegmans, or the ones built in last ten years say, are like ten times a Publix in selection, uniqueness and quality. Something like aspects of a gourmet store better than Whole Foods, aspects of a top line chefs restaurant, aspects of Trader Joe with better and more consistent selection, and generally speaking better prices on many things than all of them though some items are high in Wegmans too. We keep trying to go to the dozen publix near us to see if we can come close to Wegmans and unforunately they are just so far apart that there really is no comparison.

Publix does try, they try bringing in cooks, but Wegmans hires chefs. Publix trys to bring in international food but nobody buys it, and it is like tiny selection to Wegmans that has tons (like isles and isles) from the world. Publix is like a slightly spiffed up Giant in the northeast rather than a comparison to Wegmans really.

Trader Joe has those occasional deals, but such inconsistency that it is kind of a different thing though I like them.
Well, all of that may be true, but it's a moot point I guess, because Wegman's is only up north and mid-Atlantic, and I doubt we will see them here any time in the near future, if ever.

I have read that a few Winn-Dixie stores are really remodeling and spiffing up, hiring chefs, etc. There is one in Sarasota that was written about recently, but it's too far from my house to check out, and I have sooo many other great stores a lot closer.

https://www.winndixie.com/transformation/

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ICLE/120519701

Frankly, I don't like those huuuuuge grocery stores where you need skates, I like small stores, and there are plenty that would satisy all my individual needs that you say a Wegman's has. But that's just me.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, all of that may be true, but it's a moot point I guess, because Wegman's is only up north and mid-Atlantic, and I doubt we will see them here any time in the near future, if ever.

Frankly, I don't like those huuuuuge grocery stores where you need skates, I like small stores, and there are plenty that would satisy all my individual needs that you say a Wegman's has. But that's just me.
I guess it is a moot point as they aren't coming here anytime soon, or ever. I doubt they ever will.

Actually they sort of hire these designers so as you go in you can select: Go to far right for chef prepared, go to just left of chefs for the fine bakery good, or go left for the grocery. So you can go to one (like just grocery), or go to all. They have checkouts at each or checkouts to handle all. They thought of people who just want to quick shop... they think like people who shop. Usually not as big as walmarts for all of it. One can see over time Publix is copying some of it, maybe in ten years who knows Publix (and others) built in 2022 might look like Wegmans today.

One other point on Wegmans I know no other grocery does is have their own farms and high quality control over it. Up around Rochester they have farms of all kinds where lots come from. If they got too big they would lose that ability to supply and quality would go down. Put Publix could have farms too if they really wanted.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:29 PM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
You just lost all credibility with that comment.

Whole Foods tries to be like Wegmans, charges ten times more and is half the quality?

Back here in reality Wegmans is trying to be like Whole Foods (and always has) for those who can't (or won't) hack the economics of shopping at Whole Foods. Many items at Whole Foods cost more because they cost that much more to produce. Chicken for example that isn't mutilated at birth (beaks cut off) and confined to a wire cage sitting in their own poop (because they're genetically bred for larger breasts and can't physically stand up) is much cheaper to produce than a chicken that isn't mutilated, isn't crossbred for larger pieces and can in fact stand-up and move about (from some producers who actually raise them outdoors, like chickens). Whole Foods doesn't sell meats from animals that are confined, fed hormones or raised on antibiotics. 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating | WholeFoodsMarket.com That in most circles is considered "quality" and can assure you Wegman's doesn't maintain those practices. I won't address the 10X pricing comment because it's too ludicrous, except to note if you think most of the food sourced for Wegman's bears any common origin with that of what goes to Whole Foods you clearly have no knowledge of our food supply chain.

I find it so odd that many seemingly intelligent people will spend willy-nilly on superficial items like electronics, clothes, cars, etc. but when it comes to basic necessities like food will seek out whatever is cheapest and ultimately most toxic to ourselves and the environment.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM

Fact is Kyle Wegmans has been around for almost 100 years, founded in 1916. So if Wegmans is "trying" to copy Whole Foods I guess Whole Foods started earlier????? Actually Whole Foods founded in 1980.

I'll bet Whole Foods maintains much of that on PAPER only. Some for real too of course that is on the paper. Sorry, but I have been on Wegmans farms. There are few companies that go soup to nuts on quality control. Whole Foods just slaps a label from some company that told them it was a properly handled item most of the time, and they check on what perhaps 5% or 10% of items that came in. Wegmans has the farm, crops, everything inbetween.

There is nothing wrong with Whole Foods if you really buy into it. I can understand. I like them. I used to buy my mom a Whole Foods turkey from time to time, but you know I have never been on a Whole Foods farm. I think my wife even went in the first one in Austin, TX or something.

Do you know why the DoD contractors charge the government so much? Its for that immense paper trail on everything, and as comes up so often what is on paper isn't always checked on. Also if we are going to spend that much on a paper trail, Wegmans idea is just go the whole route. It is a different philosophy, but well I have seen enough paper trails to know what goes on.

All the best

Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 PM

334 posts, read 981,951 times
We have both a new-style Publix in Viera and a new-style Winn-Dixie here in Palm Bay. The new Publix is really nice, but the new WD absolutely blows it out of the water. In addition to the regular groceries that you can find anywhere, they have a huge wine selection, a gourmet bakery, and a gigantic hot foods selection, with each night themed differently. I've been there and had fresh smoked brisket, fresh lamb leg, pork roast, and they even have a hot wing bar with a dozen-ish sauces to choose from. Im sure it's no Wegmans, but it's easily the nicest grocery store I've been to.

As for Wegmans owning private farms, I've always heard that Winn-Dixie raises their own cattle. They do tend to have a good meat department compared to Publix IMO, although Publix usually has better produce.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,792,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Publix monopoly would never allow Wegman's to access the state. Anyone else find it fishy that the 4th most populated state has just one quality grocery store chain with a significant presence?
Whole Foods and Fresh market exist in pockets throughout FL as well. Both give publix a run for the money in many areas.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Fact is Kyle Wegmans has been around for almost 100 years, founded in 1916. So if Wegmans is "trying" to copy Whole Foods I guess Whole Foods started earlier????? Actually Whole Foods founded in 1980.

Whole Foods pioneered the natural foods market movement, so yes Wegman's has copied that aspect.

I'll bet Whole Foods maintains much of that on PAPER only. Some for real too of course that is on the paper. Sorry, but I have been on Wegmans farms. There are few companies that go soup to nuts on quality control. Whole Foods just slaps a label from some company that told them it was a properly handled item most of the time, and they check on what perhaps 5% or 10% of items that came in. Wegmans has the farm, crops, everything inbetween.

Again, wobbly speculation that doesn't pan out. Whole Foods has for example partnered with the Global Animal Partnership, a non-profit that sends third party auditors out to farms to assess animal welfare standards. It's a 5-step grading process and farms that don't minimum the criteria (Step One) are not approved to supply stores. While Wegmans might own farms are you aware of any criteria in place regulating how the food is produced? A very weak argument for comparison it would appear.

There is nothing wrong with Whole Foods if you really buy into it. I can understand. I like them. I used to buy my mom a Whole Foods turkey from time to time, but you know I have never been on a Whole Foods farm. I think my wife even went in the first one in Austin, TX or something.

No, there is nothing wrong with Whole Foods but there is with our overall supply chain food origins and how companies like Wegmans (and Publix or WalMart and many others) perpetuate factory farming with little or no standards applied to what winds up on our dinner table.

Do you know why the DoD contractors charge the government so much? Its for that immense paper trail on everything, and as comes up so often what is on paper isn't always checked on. Also if we are going to spend that much on a paper trail, Wegmans idea is just go the whole route. It is a different philosophy, but well I have seen enough paper trails to know what goes on.

An interesting theory that doesn't wash. Where is the oversight for Wegman's? What you're saying is if they say so, it must be true.

+

Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Whole Foods and Fresh Market exist in pockets throughout FL as well. Both give Publix a run for the money in many areas.
I wouldn't call it a "run for their money". Whole Foods has a whopping 17 stores in the state, 11 of which are in SE Florida. Fresh Market has 30 stores in the state and are spread out with a few in each major market. Publix has in the neighborhood of 700 stores across Florida and as a result Whole Foods and Fresh Market are barely a blip on their radar.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM

Good luck on your paper trail Kyle. I know lots and lots of people that believe if a piece of paper says something it must be true, so you are in company with many others on that for sure. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or