U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM

670 posts, read 1,063,900 times

Advertisements

I came from Wegman's territory in Northern VA and I personally think Publix is AWESOME! I absolutely LOVE Publix and find that its just the right mix and size of good quality foods, whereby Wegman's feels more "gourmet" overall and overwhelming. Just my personal opinion. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM

10,540 posts, read 10,767,909 times
Wegmans can be pretty obnoxious with it's markup on deli/bakery foods.

I remember they used to sell a special "gourmet chocolate chip cookie" at $10/pound lol. I tried it once and it wasn't even close to the best cookie I'd had. They also sell their ultimate white/chocolate cakes (mini version) for $7-8, not much bigger in volume than a slice of cake from the cheesecake factory.

Their chinese/asian/indian buffet in-store would be $7-8/pound. You would fill up a take-out styrofoam container with a decent amount of food and pay $12+

Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM

15,093 posts, read 30,963,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
I came from Wegman's territory in Northern VA and I personally think Publix is AWESOME! I absolutely LOVE Publix and find that its just the right mix and size of good quality foods, whereby Wegman's feels more "gourmet" overall and overwhelming. Just my personal opinion. To each his own.
As I posted before, never been to a Wegman's, but I too, love Publix, even though these days I don't shop exclusively there. There are several beautiful (HUGE!) newer stores for me to choose from, a couple of them have really nice large "greenwise" sections for organics, plus they have plenty of their own label organics available at good prices. The bakeries are great, my favorite bread ANYWHERE is Publix 5-grain sourdough - I eat that exclusively. And I used to be addicted to the "tortica" cookies, which you can hardly find in a grocery store. Also, best fried chicken and rotisserie chicken and subs of any grocery store I have ever tasted.

In the old days, Publix stores used to have a salad bar, wish they still did that. I also wish they had more "bulk bins" like they used to have, but I guess they had a problem with stuff getting old/wasted/stolen or whatever. Still, IMO, Publix rocks!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM

503 posts, read 616,486 times
Trouble with all these grocery stores these days, one has to know which are their too high priced rip off things, and which they are making a fair deal, and which they put something extra into it to make it worth the extra money.

People mention Wegmans has a bad deal on chinese, that I agree, but it is real easy to get to know Wegmans as to which they are good or bad deals on.

For Publix not sure yet for me on finding those things. Some examples they seem really high is any higher quality cooking oil at more than double other places. Organic burger are also double or even triple other groceries. They have a few items we speculated if they are something extra worth the price or the item is same quality as elsewhere but higher priced, but not too many I can think of that really stand out. Publix Key Lime pie not too bad so maybe that is one example worth the price, dunno what else.

I am glad my area has many produce stores like Thrifty, Jasons, etc as well as a fair amount of Latin, etc. I'll have to try Winn Dixie, have not been in one of those in forever.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM

10,540 posts, read 10,767,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I'll have to try Winn Dixie, have not been in one of those in forever.
Considering my experiences with them over the past 1-2 decades in several cities throughout FL, not sure If I'd try them out again, no matter how nice some of their newer stores are.

They were quite notorious for having stores in bad areas, poorly kept stores/meat/produce, and higher prices than publix back then. Plus you had to sign up and give away your info for that WD card to get the best price.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,188,451 times
You haven't been to Paesano's Italian Bread Bakery in Spring Hill. Did you want poppy, sesame or plain hard roll? How about a nice chunk of Napoleon? Try them and let me know what you think. Walking into that place you would think you were in De Lillo's in Belmont, the Bronx. A true Italian bakery uses biga. Same is required for a good pizza. Which you can get at Mario's also in Spring Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Far as bread. It doesn't matter who bakes it here it's the water.

There ain't nothing in the South to resemble a hard roll from the North.

Be that as it may, thank G-d the North stays north.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM

334 posts, read 980,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Considering my experiences with them over the past 1-2 decades in several cities throughout FL, not sure If I'd try them out again, no matter how nice some of their newer stores are.

They were quite notorious for having stores in bad areas, poorly kept stores/meat/produce, and higher prices than publix back then. Plus you had to sign up and give away your info for that WD card to get the best price.
Even the crappier old Winn Dixie stores have gotten much better over the past few years. Their produce still sucks (spoils quickly at home), but at least around here, they have a great meat department. And the new ones (and newly remodeled ones) really are that nice.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,840,076 times
All the Winn-Dixie's around me are basically gone, Publix is taking over.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM

46 posts, read 57,608 times
I have been working for wegmans for 16 years in their grocery distribution warehouse. It is right across from the airport here in rochester. Some of their products are overpriced and some are right there with walmart (with better quality). I guarantee you one thing. You will not get customer service like you do at wegmans. If there is someone waiting in line, they will immediately open another cash register up ( even if the managers have to do it). You can bet the house, you wont see that at walmart (or many other place3s).As far as expanding down south. I read this a few days ago and talked to one of the managers at work. Nobody has heard of any plans to go that far south. I'm sure they would like to. And they probably will . Just not for a long time. I have heard the carolinas mentioned , but that was on the floor and probably a rumor. They do build a few stores every now and then though. And they did just build a monster warehouse in pottsville. Right now, virginia is the furthest south you will see them..

Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 AM

1,061 posts, read 561,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc8869 View Post
I have been working for wegmans for 16 years in their grocery distribution warehouse. It is right across from the airport here in rochester. Some of their products are overpriced and some are right there with walmart (with better quality). I guarantee you one thing. You will not get customer service like you do at wegmans. If there is someone waiting in line, they will immediately open another cash register up ( even if the managers have to do it). You can bet the house, you wont see that at walmart (or many other place3s).As far as expanding down south. I read this a few days ago and talked to one of the managers at work. Nobody has heard of any plans to go that far south. I'm sure they would like to. And they probably will . Just not for a long time. I have heard the carolinas mentioned , but that was on the floor and probably a rumor. They do build a few stores every now and then though. And they did just build a monster warehouse in pottsville. Right now, virginia is the furthest south you will see them..
Pottsville, PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or