U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 PM

57 posts, read 216,805 times

Advertisements

Crime is a relative term, come to Baltimore/DC market to see what real crime is like. As for low paying jobs I guess that depends on what you bring to the table, I just moved here and have a job in the low six figures, not a millionaire by any means, but am able to take care of the family quite nicely. As far as Paridise, I think that is more a state of mind than an actual place you will ever find. Those that keep looking for it rarely find it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,736,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
Crime is a relative term, come to Baltimore/DC market to see what real crime is like. As for low paying jobs I guess that depends on what you bring to the table, I just moved here and have a job in the low six figures, not a millionaire by any means, but am able to take care of the family quite nicely. As far as Paridise, I think that is more a state of mind than an actual place you will ever find. Those that keep looking for it rarely find it.......
Okay so we have "fake" crime according to you. WTF you call a man dousing 2 women on fire, 1 is pregnant. Both the baby and 1 women has died already. We have a serious economic problem in Florida and crime is the result and it will only get worse.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:36 AM

11 posts, read 45,412 times
I can't find the article to back it up right now, but I recently heard a Charlotte county officer on the news saying that crime is up in SWFL due to an increased unemployment rate.

Simply put, people are desperate and doing all kinds of crazy stuff to get cash. Selling pot and ripping off unlocked cars seem to be the methods of choice.

Sure, it's not in my neighborhood - but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM

975 posts, read 3,434,928 times
sending positive vibrations your way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesun View Post
I was reading a lot of comments and discussions about everything in Florida.
90% is negativity: insurance rates, crimes here and crime there, hurricanes, traffic,...
I'm really really very confused now. Firsat I was thinking to move to Broward county. Known fact it has a large Jewish population, so I wanted to be there.
Then somebody told me to look into ft.Myers, Tampa bay area, because I can get a house there for half price than in Broward. Researched - not exactly true. But the prices there are a bit lower. I liked St.Pete area, Clearwater, Largo, Dunedin. Jewish population is much smaller there. Then another friend turned me around back to Broward-Palm Beach. Then in between my searches for houses I realized crazy facts about property insurance. Although I'm planning for a townhome condo, I'm really getting upset with these negative facts.
I even researched Jacksonville area.
So, I'm loaded now with a lot of negative facts and don't know what to do.

Is anybody here is HAPPY in Florida ?
Could anybody give me an advise or opinion about insurance rates for a townhome condo priced at $150,000-$170,000 ? I know it will be included in the maintenance fee.
I'm in Ontario(just north of Buffalo,NY), so i have no idea about car insurance rates(30 years driving) for a minivan ?

and the last question Jewish related: anybody lives in Tampa-Bay area, Clearwater...etc. ? any advise please ?

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 AM

33 posts, read 86,816 times
Wink Wow...

Talk about some people looking at the glass half empty...you guys take the cake. Ha ha ha Maybe if you move to the mountians...in a cave...with no one around...you will be happy....but I doubt it.

SWFLA is the greatest place I ever lived. I have visited over 20 countries....lived in 3 different countries...and in the USA lived in California,
Florida, Pennsylvania and New York. Of all these location I would pick SW Florida every time.

Don't get me wrong....it is not perfect...no place is, but if you like the sun,
enjoy great weather and have a good work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit...you will love SW Florida.

Most of the businesses in SW Florida are Mom and Pop shops. Meaning
they are family owned and hire 3-20 employee's. This makes up 80% of all businesses in SW Florida. Think of all the potential to helping these businesses make/save money.

The taxes are low compared to other states. The schools I think need help because Florida ranks at the bottom in this regard. A new cool idea is helping this....Charter Schools. This will provide competition to schools in SW Florida.
If you have a child that wants to learn....and not fool around....the Charter schools are the best in the country.

Anyway, I hope I can give you an honest view about SW Florida. For the others that are having a hard time in Florida.......chin up....keep thinking positive and soon your day will come.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
I live in Cutler Bay (south of Miami and north of Homestead). I have lived here since 1966 and bought my mom and dads house from their estate. Miami isn't for everyone - my son lives in Adventura and has a beautiful apartment on the eigth floor where you can see the beach from the balcony he loves it. The rest of us cannot wait to leave - it is so different than when my mom and dad retired and there was "space". Now 18 wheelers fly down our street. Their house was bought for 17,000 and we just had it appraised for $350,000. We have a low payment because we bought it for 90,000. Anything you buy now because of the tax structure you will pay a lot of taxes for at the very least $5000 to $8000. Our taxes are $3000 and our insurance total for windstorm, house and flood runs about $3000. We caught $35000 worth of damages from Wilma three (?) years ago. That is something you have to think about "Hurricanes" I have been thru Andrew, Katrina (Yeah it hit here before New Orleans) and Wilma. Emotionally it is very hard. I am retiring from Miami-Dade County in two years. I am ready because this place is no longer paradise to me. I was raised in the military and I have lived all over the world. I have never been a complainer but so much has happened here that my sister and her husband (Dade county fireman) have moved to Murphy. My sister was a probation officer in DC, has moved to Hendersonville and my best friend retired from Dade County Building and Zoning and went to Burnsville. I have seen some of the worst things - there is no law and order - police officers shot a person for running over them from the hood of the car that hit them and they investigate the officer. One officer friend of mine in Homestead stopped a car to give them a warning for a tail light and they shot him in the neck and eye. Our incompetent DA wanted to offer the perp a plea of 20 years???? Our DA has been on a campaign to prosecute police officers because her twin sons have been arrested so many times for drugs, B&E a school and domestic violence against girlfriend. It is pitiiful here. Run by politicians pandering to special interests.

It all depends on what you want from here if it is good weather, great. If you want a beautiful city - this is it. Peace of mind - no, good weather -most of the time but the opposite end of the coin is traumatic and hurricanes do happen.

My families choice is to go back to the peace and quiet of what God made in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. Please do your research.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM

33 posts, read 86,816 times
Default We all agree...it's not for everyone

I love it !!!!

I also live in Miami area and was transfered before coming to SW Florida. It is
so much 'quieter" in SW Florida.

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area is so much more expensive also and somehow has
higher taxes. Not quite sure if the counties in SE Florida - Dade/Broward/Palm Beach are all Democratic controlled have anything to do with it or not.

Much crime we have here are from criminals that come over from SE Florida area and come to SW Florida area (Naples) to commit a crime and then go back over Alligator Alley to escape back in SE Florida. A great new thing
happening here is camera's almost at every intersection in Collier County.
This way if a crime is committed the crooks can be quickly followed and arrested. Crime has gone down dramatically because of the camera's. There is a lot of Money in Naples Area. Other counties now are putting up camera systems as well.

Cape Coral is ranked 3rd safest city in Florida. You can not compare the crime to NEW York/Phila/Atalanta/Chicigo etc. I mean it is so much safer anywhere in Florida compared to the Northern cities.

Best advice....keep it simple.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,794,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchsnook View Post
I love it !!!!A great new thing
happening here is camera's almost at every intersection in Collier County.
This way if a crime is committed the crooks can be quickly followed and arrested.

You can not compare the crime to NEW York/Phila/Atalanta/Chicigo etc. I mean it is so much safer anywhere in Florida compared to the Northern cities.

Best advice....keep it simple.
1. Are you sure those aren't just infrared cameras to control the traffic flow? Their at almost every intersection here too. While it's great that the traffic can be thick at peak hours yet still move well (efficiency!), they don't stop crime.

2. Thats what true...about 30 years ago. Most major FL cities exceed all of those in crime, even Philly. NYC is actually the safest big city in the country and it's suburbs like Middlesex/Monmouth,NJ, Long Island are the nations safest. Chicago and Philly suburbs have similarly low crime, and the cities don't match the crime that can be found in Tampa, Orlando, and Miami. They don't "look" as rough but they are.

Atlanta? Yeah, thats worse. But not dramatically so.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 68,708 times
Talking move to florida

sarasota /bradenton area is great. you have modest and wealthy homes andpeople.you ahve beach right near by. god hospitals and dr's. old and young. are you single or what? I at the age of 50 and traveling the world my whole life looking for a man to marry found him here. my fourth anniversary is next week. he was worth the wait. the housing market bit the dust. houses tha were going for 6 and 7 hundred are down to 300. try www.riverwildernessforsale.com (broken link)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,165,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CJFlorida again"
LOL, me too!!!!

I do miss Chief around here, he would be happy to see how the tone has changed on this board.
Gone are the ones that said we were wrong and are now being replaced with smart educated people that see things for what they really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or