U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,367,562 times

Advertisements

I like Florida.

Lived here more than 20 years, and one thing I like--NO SNOW. It can still get cold, so don't pack up your overcoats yet. It's been in the 40's a lot lately in my area...and this isn't the first year that's happened.

I don't know anywhere people could be happier...that is to say, those unhappy HERE would be unhappy anywhere!

I also can't understand people who say there's nothing to do! The newspaper here, at least, often reports things you can go and do, even on a limited income.

There are movie theaters, restaraunts and bars, shopping, museums and parks, whatever suits your fancy you can find somewhere in Florida!

Come on down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 AM

33 posts, read 86,765 times
TK.....you said it all here "those unhappy HERE would be unhappy anywhere!"

If you don't like sunshine...boats...fishing...water...sand...golf.. .sunbathing....Great
restaurants....having a social life....happy people etc.

....then Florida might not be right for you.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 AM

CTR...good post...."Are you sure those aren't just infrared cameras to control the traffic flow?"

Let me check up on that and get back to you. One thing I can tell you for sure....there are survalience camera's all over SW Florida and Crime has gone down because of it.
Because of my field of work I am indirectly involved with Camera systems that are going
up all over from shop owners to gated communities.
These camera's not only monitor the residence but the surrounding area's. After a
crime is commited, the first thing police look for are camera's in the surrounding area.
The people are protecting their own area.

Check this out...

"
“The members wholeheartedly supported this,” Allen, president of the Port Royal Property Owners Association, said after Wednesday’s Naples City Council meeting.
The council Wednesday approved a permit allowing the association to install two cameras on Gordon Drive immediately north of the Galleon Drive intersection. One camera would record the northbound traffic, while the second camera would record southbound traffic.
Cameras would record vehicles and their license plates on a 30-day cycle. And while an outside agency would be responsible for maintaining the equipment, Donna Krall, executive manager of the Port Royal Property Owners Association, told council that the police department would be the only agency with access to the tapes. ""

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Here is what I did find out....

"Are you sure those aren't just infrared cameras to control the traffic flow?"

What I did find out... that all camera's at all the intersections (and they are
growing daily)....are run on fiber!

Fiber optics for Infrared camera's is defiantely an over kill. So why Fiber to
each intersection instead of a DSL/phone connection or a cable connection?

I could not find any more official information on this but unofficially some
camera's can also support "video" viewing. Again, unofficially it is thought
that 1 in 4 camera's now run real time video throuhout Collier County for
night or day use. For security reasons no official info can be found .

With Fiber optics bandwidth being 100x more than a phone line or cable
line it only makes sense to me.....that the reason Fiber optic cable is used
at Collier County intersections that sooner or later....all camera's will
be equipped with "video" in the future. Also, with Fiber optic cable the need
for more bandwidth is just a click away instead of replaceing lines or equipment.

Did you notice the New Your Times explosion with the key to solving this
crime.....a video camera. Check it out.

Surveillance Video | New York Times Video (http://video.on.nytimes.com/index.jsp?fr_story=d018ac9b42535e4771f95a2d5873799 f1d5d794d - broken link)

I think Camera's keep us all a whole lot safer and is why the Collier County
crime is down. Crooks want nothing to do with this.

Life is safer in Naples - Collier County Florida.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM

232 posts, read 813,730 times
I agree with the original poster. When I first started looking into moving to Florida I had a pretty good idea of what we wanted, but after reading this forum for over a year it has made my decision on where to move somewhat clouded. The negativity is awful so it is great when someone does post something positive. The problem is now trying to figure out the best place to move to fit my family. I too am going to rent awhile before jumping into buying a home because I want to make sure I have the right fit before making such a huge committment. Good luck to all who is in this same boat.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 PM

57 posts, read 216,749 times
Don't worry shedav, take everything you here with a grain of salt, good and bad. I too was one of the people who was "concerned" after reading some of the posts on this board but couldn't be happier since moving down. There is good and bad everywhere you go, much of it relative to where you are coming from. Do your research, ask specific questions and make sure you are moving for the right reasons and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or