U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM
 
Location: ON, canada
10 posts, read 26,769 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I was reading a lot of comments and discussions about everything in Florida.
90% is negativity: insurance rates, crimes here and crime there, hurricanes, traffic,...
I'm really really very confused now. Firsat I was thinking to move to Broward county. Known fact it has a large Jewish population, so I wanted to be there.
Then somebody told me to look into ft.Myers, Tampa bay area, because I can get a house there for half price than in Broward. Researched - not exactly true. But the prices there are a bit lower. I liked St.Pete area, Clearwater, Largo, Dunedin. Jewish population is much smaller there. Then another friend turned me around back to Broward-Palm Beach. Then in between my searches for houses I realized crazy facts about property insurance. Although I'm planning for a townhome condo, I'm really getting upset with these negative facts.
I even researched Jacksonville area.
So, I'm loaded now with a lot of negative facts and don't know what to do.

Is anybody here is HAPPY in Florida ?
Could anybody give me an advise or opinion about insurance rates for a townhome condo priced at $150,000-$170,000 ? I know it will be included in the maintenance fee.
I'm in Ontario(just north of Buffalo,NY), so i have no idea about car insurance rates(30 years driving) for a minivan ?

and the last question Jewish related: anybody lives in Tampa-Bay area, Clearwater...etc. ? any advise please ?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia
1,123 posts, read 4,806,822 times
Reputation: 678
I do not live in Florida - yet....... so I cannot give you much info. But I can offer support! I started visiting these boards last summer when hubby was in position to transfer to Fl (Ft Lauderdale area) for his job.

It is sad to see how negative everyone is. However, people on my hometown boards are ALSO negative.

Of course this is a big move for you! I don't know how much you have visited Florida and that can really help you decide too. We actually went to Ft Lauderdale for part of our vacation over the summer. This was after we had decided not to move (we decided not to move yet - we just decided to wait until our youngest son graduates high school in 2.5 years before we make a move). While I was there I really looked at the area through the eyes of a resident and not a tourist. Honestly, it just confirmed that Florida is definitely the place for us!

Maybe you should think about renting for a year first (save your money for a down payment). Try to pick the place you think is best, rent for a year and THEN decide. Once you live there you can get a much better feel for neighborhoods. I really think the housing market is going to continue to sink for a while so your options as a buyer will be good for quite a while. The rental market is great right now too - and while renting you don't have to worry about all those insurance issues just yet.

Most people say it takes a year to really decide if Florida is for you. You will have time to experience all the heat and humidity.

Just a suggestion... I know that I would not try to buy a house right away in a state I didn't live in. If you bought and decided that Florida really wasn't for you, it would be impossible to sell in the near future. Better to give yourself time to adjust and get your feet wet before you settle in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,995,505 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesun View Post
I was reading a lot of comments and discussions about everything in Florida.
90% is negativity: insurance rates, crimes here and crime there, hurricanes, traffic,...
I'm really really very confused now. Firsat I was thinking to move to Broward county. Known fact it has a large Jewish population, so I wanted to be there.
Then somebody told me to look into ft.Myers, Tampa bay area, because I can get a house there for half price than in Broward. Researched - not exactly true. But the prices there are a bit lower. I liked St.Pete area, Clearwater, Largo, Dunedin. Jewish population is much smaller there. Then another friend turned me around back to Broward-Palm Beach. Then in between my searches for houses I realized crazy facts about property insurance. Although I'm planning for a townhome condo, I'm really getting upset with these negative facts.
I even researched Jacksonville area.
So, I'm loaded now with a lot of negative facts and don't know what to do.

Is anybody here is HAPPY in Florida ?
Could anybody give me an advise or opinion about insurance rates for a townhome condo priced at $150,000-$170,000 ? I know it will be included in the maintenance fee.
I'm in Ontario(just north of Buffalo,NY), so i have no idea about car insurance rates(30 years driving) for a minivan ?

and the last question Jewish related: anybody lives in Tampa-Bay area, Clearwater...etc. ? any advise please ?

Thanks a lot!
Don't get discouraged. Half the negativity here are from people who lost in the real estate market, or lost their jobs due to the overpopulation and skyrocketing prices that just came crashing down. What you need to be, moving to Florida is realistic.
1. Insurance rates will be higher closer to the water. Insurance rates are the highest in some of the West Coast towns (Insurance companies still holding grudges on storms of 3 years ago). I think Miami insurance is high too (but I don't live there.
2. To answer your question about rates. No one would really know as there are many variables...however, guess that your monthly fee on a condo in most areas will run you $175 to $300 per month. That will cover your exterior insurance, landscaping, sometimes cable, SOMETIMES water, irrigation, usually your public areas, any security and ammenities, as well as the neighborhood escrow for any sudden charges.
3. I am Jewish through my father (so we don't practice much since my parents are divorced), and my entire family is Jewish. Look at Sarasota. Large Jewish population.
4. I have lived all over the US (Ohio, NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Maryland, Tampa Bay, and now pooy Jacksonville) I like Florida. Just like any city I've lived in, I've had things I love and things I hate. It is like with anything in life. You take the good with the bad. If you are a person who focuses on the bad...you'll be miserable..if you focus on what it offers the other areas don't, you'll appreciate it.
5. If you are Jewish, I would not suggest Jacksonville. Very southern, local, Baptist, conservative population. Probably would be way too much of a culture shock for you.
6. You say Townhome...make sure the townhome is classified a condo..some are classified as single family homes for insurance purposes b/c they don't share a common roof. Ask the question on condo or regular Home Owners Insurance required. If it's a condo...you could pay as much as $400 to $500 per month if you are very close to the water.
7. Low insurance rates RIGHT now are NOT in the Tampa Bay area or Pinellas County. Parts of Sarasota County are very very low due to new construction, and more insurance companies willing to write. Check out that area. Loads of condos. I would not go further south than Venice (in Sarasota County) though...the population is probably not what you are seeking.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,209 posts, read 6,915,601 times
Reputation: 599
We're very happy in Fla. Pay no attention to the whining and snivelling from some and "don't feed the trolls"! . Seems like they come here from other states and immedietly start crying. Thankfully many of them have no standing, do not own anything and when they find out they have to try being creative and talented to earn real money down here they run home.

That in and of itself is hugely positive.

It's a great place to be. Cmon down and enjoy yourself. Lots and lots of great areas. Spend a few bucks and take weekend trips to various places here and find what clicks with you. Chances are that more than one area will do that and so that will be the tough part......making the ultimate decision as to where to stake your flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Florida
272 posts, read 1,407,349 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
We're very happy in Fla. Pay no attention to the whining and snivelling from some and "don't feed the trolls"! . Seems like they come here from other states and immedietly start crying. Thankfully many of them have no standing, do not own anything and when they find out they have to try being creative and talented to earn real money down here they run home.
I've lived in Florida for 18 years, I own a house, I have an excellent job, a master's degree, my income is in the top 10% of the state, and I'm no longer happy here. Does that make me a whiner, a sniveler, or a troll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,487,186 times
Reputation: 2067
lovesun

First i want to dispel what some people have said. I have a decent job in the I.T. field and my wife has a good job in her field. We are doing okay but the bottom line is we hate Florida. We are both from big cities and south florida isn't our cup of tea. You don't have to be a sniveling anything to not like Florida. People need to get it through their skulls that everything isn't for everyone.

With that said, let me give you my assessment.

You being Jewish (im Muslim by the way), you should look at Jacaranda or west sunrise. the jewish population there is HUGE and I know there are like two or three temples/synagogues in that area. Tons of orthodox jews, you see them walking every where during the sabbath. Women covering there hair and men with their kippah walking with their families. For me its a awesome sight, reminds me of home (Brooklyn).

Another area to think about is Aventura, that was founded by Jews and has a HUGE Jewish population there. Also believe it or not South Beach also has a huge orthodox population. Another place is Bel Harbor, tons of Jews there but that place is mega expensive.

Jacaranda is a bit pricey but its nice, quiet, safe, has a decent sized park (central park). Not to far from the highway, malls etc. I am partial to the plantation/jacaranda area because when I came to Florida that is where I lived for a long while. To me it is one of the prettier areas in Fort Lauderdale.

Boca Raton has a huge Jewish population but that area is quiet and seems for older people (in my opinion). Also Plantation has a big J.C.C. if you live in Sunrise or Jacaranda you would be able to get to it quick fast. I can't comment on how the Jewish community is here because my Jewish friends for the most part have not been very religious people. I work with a lady who keeps kosher and seems to be at least semi orthodox. I can ask her, if you like, what she thinks of the community here.

Also in sunrise I think there is a Jewish butcher, we go to them from time to time. There is also another really big one I think in Davie, I can find out exactly for you if you like.

I say come down here and rent, see if you like it. This will give the housing market time to settle down and give you time to see if this place is for you.

Happy hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,995,505 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
I've lived in Florida for 18 years, I own a house, I have an excellent job, a master's degree, my income is in the top 10% of the state, and I'm no longer happy here. Does that make me a whiner, a sniveler, or a troll?
No, but what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,995,505 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I haven't seen any of your posts other than this one, so I don't know. Are you?

With all that going for you, why would you be on a public message board? Why not just leave?
I agree. No one was referring to the guy with the Masters degree. If you don't like Florida fine. We refer to those who just complain constantly. You appear to want to go somewhere else. However, i'd like to know why you are unhappy here. Maybe you'd be happy nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
 
1,023 posts, read 2,995,505 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
lovesun

First i want to dispel what some people have said. I have a decent job in the I.T. field and my wife has a good job in her field. We are doing okay but the bottom line is we hate Florida. We are both from big cities and south florida isn't our cup of tea. You don't have to be a sniveling anything to not like Florida. People need to get it through their skulls that everything isn't for everyone.

With that said, let me give you my assessment.

You being Jewish (im Muslim by the way), you should look at Jacaranda or west sunrise. the jewish population there is HUGE and I know there are like two or three temples/synagogues in that area. Tons of orthodox jews, you see them walking every where during the sabbath. Women covering there hair and men with their kippah walking with their families. For me its a awesome sight, reminds me of home (Brooklyn).

Another area to think about is Aventura, that was founded by Jews and has a HUGE Jewish population there. Also believe it or not South Beach also has a huge orthodox population. Another place is Bel Harbor, tons of Jews there but that place is mega expensive.

Jacaranda is a bit pricey but its nice, quiet, safe, has a decent sized park (central park). Not to far from the highway, malls etc. I am partial to the plantation/jacaranda area because when I came to Florida that is where I lived for a long while. To me it is one of the prettier areas in Fort Lauderdale.

Boca Raton has a huge Jewish population but that area is quiet and seems for older people (in my opinion). Also Plantation has a big J.C.C. if you live in Sunrise or Jacaranda you would be able to get to it quick fast. I can't comment on how the Jewish community is here because my Jewish friends for the most part have not been very religious people. I work with a lady who keeps kosher and seems to be at least semi orthodox. I can ask her, if you like, what she thinks of the community here.

Also in sunrise I think there is a Jewish butcher, we go to them from time to time. There is also another really big one I think in Davie, I can find out exactly for you if you like.

I say come down here and rent, see if you like it. This will give the housing market time to settle down and give you time to see if this place is for you.

Happy hunting.
You make some good points. Have you lived anywhere in FL besides SFL? I hate to say it, but SFL is really it's own world. Sort of like Jacksonville is it's own world. It's not a good indication for the majority of the state for sure. I do think renting is the way to go for a newbee. Have to make sure you're happy before you stake your claim on an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
 
Location: America
6,987 posts, read 15,487,186 times
Reputation: 2067
I have lived in Tampa, Clearwater and Fort Lauderdale. I don't like Florida, I prefer big cities like Chicago or NYC. That is my speed, and it offers me the things I am looking for in life. If someone likes Florida more power to them, i wish them the best. I am not so arrogant that I think everyone has to hate Florida because I do. Like I said previously, to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top