Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'd probably do I-95 to I-4 to I-75 to home. If you don't want to do I-95 through the downtown JAX area - you can catch I-295 east (in the direction of the JAX Beaches - not Orange Park) in the JAX airport area - and hook up with I-95 again well south of downtown. Probably a few extra miles - but easier traffic (better newer roads and not as many trucks). I-4 through Orlando isn't that bad as long as you avoid rush hour/holiday traffic at Disney/etc.

Or - if there's construction or some kind of problem on the latter route - I-95 to I-295 to I-10 to I-75.

I hate 301. Even if you save 30-40 miles on 301 - you'll probably lose time.

I could suggest more scenic routes - but I sense that this is not a "wandering trip" for you .

Also - keep an eye on the weather. There's a huge wet cold front coming in - and St. Simons could have some ice in the next few days. Robyn

If you are not opposed to tolls....I-95 to the Beeline(528 -tolls) to 417 tolls( to I-4 )to I-75.

Coming down to 528 and taking the 417 to get to I-4 will take you South of all the Orlando traffic on I-4 sort and saves some of time since 1-4 traffic slims down some after the Disney exit and you don't have to go through the heavy traffic/ back-ups in town.

We actually go North on 95 from South Brevard to 528 and the 417 to get to Davenport or even the Magic Kingdom because it saves a half hour or more than driving straight across and having to drive through Kissimmee. 528 and 417 usually are easy driving roads because most people avoid the tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Making the trip twice a year, we still opt for 301 rather than 10 to 75...in fact get on it and avoid 295 also.
The lights and towns make it seem like a longer drive but it has not taken more time in reality.
I like getting off the interstates occasionally because it helps take away the monotony and feeling of driving forever and ever and ever in high speed traffic....so it's more relaxing, too. We also have a couple of hours more to go to get to Naples
It's certainly not the way some see it.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A GPS gives the physically shortest route not the fastest.
Thanks for posting, but my GPS gives different options (shortest route, avoid highways, tolls, etc.) The directions I got for the fastest and shortest both used I-75 to exit 358 (301) I checked Bing and other online maps before I took off, which is why I was surprised it took me about 7 hours to get here. As I wrote earlier, I probably spent too much time at rest stops. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will look at all of them and figure out what's best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida