Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times

Advertisements

Alabama is more known to be bible belt than country ,cowboy or redneck.

The accent in Alabama is being more watshed down now days very much so in schools. There is lot of ranches and rodeo in Texas and this where lot of this country or cowboy come from. In the midwest there is lots of farms and so be more country.

I think Alabama like Florida there more shame to be from south where people in Texas is like this is the way we do it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:08 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I'm not sure if your trolling but for people who don't have schooling here is what is southerin states.

Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Southern United States—commonly referred to as the American South, Dixie, or simply the South—is an area comprising the southeastern and south-central United States. The region is known for its culture and history, having developed its own customs, musical styles and varied cuisines that have helped distinguish it in some ways from the rest of the United States. The Southern ethnic heritage is diverse and includes strong European (mostly English, Scotch-Irish and Scottish), African, and some Native American components

As defined by the United States Census Bureau,[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] the Southern region of the United States includes sixteen states. As of 2010, an estimated 114,555,744 people, or thirty-seven percent of all U.S. residents, lived in the South, the nation's most populous region.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] The Census Bureau defined three smaller units, or divisions:
Maryland isn't southern, nor is DC.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
Quote:
Alabama is more known to be bible belt than country ,cowboy or redneck.

The accent in Alabama is being more watshed down now days very much so in schools. There is lot of ranches and rodeo in Texas and this where lot of this country or cowboy come from. In the midwest there is lots of farms and so be more country.

I think Alabama like Florida there more shame to be from south where people in Texas is like this is the way we do it here.
I don't know what point you were trying to make with your previous post as if we don't know U.S. fun facts. So you didn't school nobody hahaha.

This whole thread is pretty much a confused attempt at trying to pin down what is considered Southern. You showed this when you came to some weird conclusion that Texas is more Southern than Alabama. LOL!!!. If the southern accent is being washed down in Alabama, then this is even more so in Texas, where there is a large influx of people from Mexico and other states in the country moving there. When it comes down to it, you'll end up coming to the conclusion that there are NO culturally southern states.

If I were you, I would go to the General U.S. sub-forum and start a thread saying "What is considered Southern?" or "Is Texas more southern than Alabama?" I guarantee you that your thread will be on top for days, if not weeks!

Last edited by LordHomunculus; 02-02-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I don't know what point you were making with your previous post as if we don't know U.S. fun facts. So you didn't school nobody nor can you.

This whole thread is pretty much a confused attempt at trying to pin down what is considered Southern. You showed this when you came to some weird conclusion that Texas is more Southern than Alabama. LOL!!!. If the southern accent is being washed down in Alabama, then this is even more so in Texas, where there is a large influx of people from Mexico and other states in the country moving there. When it comes down to it, you'll end up coming to the conclusion that there are NO culturally southern states.

If I were you, I would go to the General U.S. sub-forum and start a thread saying "What is considered Southern?" or "Is Texas more southern than Alabama?" I guarantee you that your thread will be on top for days, if not weeks!
Okay sorry if this thread is getting bit off topic .But when I started this thread I said Flordia was less country or anti-country .

That back track a bit .There are normaly three cultures or stereotypical cultures.

1.city people ( bus ,walk ,subway ,urban type things a nice restaurants ( country cheap diner or truck stops) ,entertainment ,fun ,festivals and how they dress different and lifestyle.

2.suburb people ( drive SUV ) dress more casual than city people and less pop culture like hippies ,hipsters ,punk in the suburb and not country and not city type people.

3 country type ( drive a pick up truck and cowboy boots)

Working in the country like on ranches ,lots of land like a farm you get dirty so cowboy boots more in , janes and overalls!!! You hull stuff on farm so a pick up truck is more in .Well becuse so many drive a pick up truck and wear cowboy boots it will be less a taboo you a hick even for people who don't do that line of work.

City less accent becuse so many people moving there!! Well country less trasplantes.People in the country and suburb normaly more conservative than city people.

Redneck is none of the above , it means uneducated and ignorant backwards person.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I don't know what point you were trying to make with your previous post as if we don't know U.S. fun facts. So you didn't school nobody hahaha.

I think the view was the Southern US was more country like , despite my three category types of country ,suburb and city.

At least Texas it less a taboo to drive a pick up truck and cowboy boots in the city.

May be people in the northerin states go to bars ,night clubs , festivals where the south more into redo ,monster truck and NASCAR .

Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
sweat209, where are you from dude? have you been in the US a while?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
I have never seen a confederate flag in Jacksonville may be some members here are seeing this in the country not the city or suburbs of Jacksonville.

Tampa as the confederate flag but it is mostly east of Tampa in the country.

The word redneck I find are being used incorrectly with word country.If you are more a country type person like pickup truck, cowboy boots ,hunt and fish so on. Where the word redneck is uneducated and ignorant person.
I haven't. They seem to be more common in the West coast of FL

I have seen several Confederate flags from Naples to northern Tampa. We also have a rural area in Miami(Redlands) where sometimes you see those flags.

I agree that the intererior areas(except Orlando) have more Southerners. The coastal areas attract many retirees who want to be close to the beach.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
sweat209, where are you from dude? have you been in the US a while?
I don't live in the city and never will.I don't go to bars ,night clubs , festivals ,restaurants or culture events city people are into.I go to diners or truck stops .I have friends over or go to friend's house or play video games.I like suburb and country life over city life.

I don't drive pick up truck , but do drive SUV.I find city people to me stock up people if you living lifestyle different than then you outcast.

And no I'm not country I don't go to rodeos or redneck events like redneck mud fest.

I have liberal ,libertarian ,conservative views very much so on some social issues and dealing with war and other issues .I go to many cities but normaily don't interact with people I don't know.

I'm more suburb and country type but not full country.I can get long better with country people than city people.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I haven't. They seem to be more common in the West coast of FL

I have seen several Confederate flags from Naples to northern Tampa. We also have a rural area in Miami(Redlands) where sometimes you see those flags.

I agree that the intererior areas(except Orlando) have more Southerners. The coastal areas attract many retirees who want to be close to the beach.

Most confederate suppoters I talk to day are not happy how big the federal government is.Basically the founding fathers wanted a decentralized government and limit the power of federal government over state rights.

Most confederate suppoters and libertarians are very unhappy wih both the conserives and liberals.Both confederate suppoters and libertarians claim the civil war was over state right not slavery.That if you allow the federal government to pass laws over state right than all kinds of things can happen and open a pandora box.

Think about it.It can go both ways no matter people political view.The liberals complain of conservative government pushing god , anti-abortion and anti-gay rights , harsh drug laws.Well the conservative complain liberals pushing the opposite views!!! Really what a mess!! This never should been federal level this SHOULD of been state matter!!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM

38 posts, read 69,582 times
Quote:
I have noticest people in Florida there is big stigma of any thing country.I have never seen anyone in cowboy boots or coming acroos as a trucker or working on ranch.Not only that, but the accent is very washed down.Yes I know southeast florida is very non southerin feel.But even Orlando and Jacksonville the accent is very washed down.

To me Texas ,Georgia and South Carolina seems more southein feel and stronger accent.To me people in Florida act more city like.The people on storage wars texas or shipping wars would come across as rednecks in Florida.To me if any thing some parts of Florida is more wannabe gangsta.

So what is the deel with Florida?

If any thing east of Tampa is probably the closest you going to get to country with big trucks and Daytona beach with NASCARE and bikers but that all.But other than that Florida seems very anti-country feel.

Here is true Florida accent. A slight twang

Florida Accent Tag-Country Girl - YouTube

No one in Florida talks like that , unless you live in country , even in Tampa ,Orlando and Jacksonville they do not talk like that.

Note I have not been in Florida that long so it hard to tell.Can some one clear this up.
so cute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida