Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,367 times

Advertisements

Hi! My fiancé and I are planning to relocate to Florida this time next year. We want to settle down somewhere in Florida and, soon after arriving, purchase a home, hopefully grabbing a good deal in the process. My parents now live just south of Tampa on the gulf coast and my sister lives on the east coast in Jupiter. We want to relocate to be closer to family.

My fiance's company will allow him to work remotely, so our only real concern is finding employment for me. My experience is in the purchase of advertising on behalf of pharmaceutical companies, including billing, invoicing, and executing the purchase of website banners, billboards, medical journal ads, etc., only for pharmaceutical companies. I have researched, discovered, and could have even assumed that healthcare is your best bet for landing a job in Florida. I suppose, based on this information, my questions are two-fold:

1. Can I expect to easily find a job in my field? If so, where might you recommend targeting? I am hopeful that I can play largely off of my pharmaceutical familiarity, as opposed to the creative aspect of my job.

2. Where in Florida can we find ourselves in "weekend driving distance" to both Tampa and Jupiter and still find ourselves within a half hour of the beach? We are in our late 20s and we're beyond the bar scene, but we have no desire to live in the boondocks. Somewhere middle class and geared towards young families just starting out would be ideal. This same place would also have to be reasonable for a commute to a corporate area for my field.

Since we're from Philadelphia, and have only had the opportunity to visit Orlando, Clearwater, and Jupiter a handful of times, your input and guidance is much appreciated! Cookie-cutter living is okay and even preferred as long as it's safe. Also, please do not try to deter us from moving into Florida. That part is a done deal. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Your parents... Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando
Your sister... West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale

I think there are more job opportunities in your field in South Florida. You should be able to search job openings on relevant companies, craigslist, employment websites... Once you have narrowed it down to a specific area, I would be happy to give you more detailed information. There are a ton of areas that might work for you, so once you narrow it down a bit, send me a direct message.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Lots of work at home techies in DelrayBeach !

I've delivered mail there for 32 years and have a few favorite communities

Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the input! I've been looking around since my post and I have to agree that the Fort Lauderdale area might be a good fit for all things considered...

Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Jupiter might even make sense...

Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 AM

I want to give my sister SOME space. lol

Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 16,146 times
Boca Raton is a great city to consider. It has beautiful downtown and university nearby.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:01 AM

Soooo it's been about a year and we've actually settled on the opposite coast now, with a focus on Clearwater!

Can anyone recommend a good townhouse community where we can rent for our first year or two in Clearwater and its surrounding area?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Just noticed this post. Can't say much about Clearwater, but I would suggest the Melbourne area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida