Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I know Texans and Arizonians (Arizoners?) who are very concerned about Californicaters moving in and bringing their failed liberal politics with them.
Ditto in New Hampshire with the invasion of leftist refugees from Massassassachusetts.

Historically, wars have been fought to defend homelands from destruction.
Tough talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:42 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Tough talk.
I'll say.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7hLBIGRuHo...etToughGuy.gif

Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

but who was overweight and bald?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
I've never really cared about being welcomed, so for the most part I've felt at home everywhere. Maybe it's because the west isn't really isn't that much different from the part of the country I'm originally from, in terms of people. I felt similarly during my various visits to Florida, but I can't accurately say, since I haven't actually lived down there.

fwiw I wouldn't give a rat's ass whether you or anyone else assimilated to Illinoisan "culture," if you chose to move there. I have no more right to impose my way of life than you do if I were to move to where you're from.
I"d say that being welcomed, or not, into any part of the country has more to do with one's own attitude and interactions with other people, than it does with where they go.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am wondering what is meant by "they want everything to be like home"

What are these things that they are missing??

I have always found what I need in FL especially when it comes to food choices. I can get a perfect
pizza (no, the water makes no difference), good bagel bakery, U-bet syrup, potato knishes, Boars Head products of all kinds, pickled tomatoes, Arnold rye bread. There isn't anything that I can not find. If I came up with something I could order it online. So, that covers food. What else are they missing? I have never been able to figure that part out. After all, NYC is not the same NYC it was 30 years ago. So even if those people went back they would be missing a lot of things they were used to, i.e. the corner candy store
where you could get a malted or an egg cream. I get those both too. I make my own. Co2 Seltzer making bottle, a Model 33 Hamilton Beach mixer, Bryers ice cream and Ubet. I'm all set. These days it is hard to find a Hebrew National frank and a knish. There are a few places, but not too many. Brooklyn has about 3 of them.

I look forward to understanding the "Its not like home here" conundrum.
]
It took a while, but I've found some good replacements for many of the things I've missed since moving down here. It's not perfect, but I'll survive.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You have a FL plate that spells "NewYawker?"
Yes, my husband does. Just like those that said Raleigh and Mobile. It can say anything as long as it is the required amount of letters and numbers and nobody else has the exact same thing. Yes, you do pay extra for it.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:17 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
"NewYawker" has too many letters for a Florida vanity plate. You're only allowed seven.

Florida License Plate

My bad. It says NewYawk. Just went outside and checked it.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Not sure why one would do that but ok. That'd be like when I lived in NC and had a plate that said "Florida" on it. I think ppl would either make fun of me or ask me why on earth i'd have a plate that says "Florida" when I live in NC.

No offense, I'm just saying.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Not sure why one would do that but ok. That'd be like when I lived in NC and had a plate that said "Florida" on it. I think ppl would either make fun of me or ask me why on earth i'd have a plate that says "Florida" when I live in NC.

No offense, I'm just saying.
Com that is how everyone knows where they are all from it goes back to my original statement, They only left "home" because they thought the grass was greener on the other side and they are making a Statement so people know where they came from..I am NOT referring to those who's spouses had to transfer and had no choice to move so to speak...

I cant tell you in NC alone I saw it more than we did in Florida, we saw DC2NC FL2NC NY2NC it is amazing at how many plates like this and of course we have seen NYgirl etc...Now I was going to have one made BklynGrl but never did...there is someone in charlotte with a plate just like that maybe not spelled that way...

In Florida we saw a lot home team stickers etc license plates but not as nearly as much or annoying as NC..

Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Why do people from up north say they love Fl so much but love to "represent" the ****hole they came from? If where you were from was so great, why do you continue to support that place? Why not just move back? There are plenty of sports teams, foundations and local charities that need hometown support.

The answer is actually very simple.

It's called pride in one's place of birth, etc.......Relocating to another state, country, island does not equate to losing pride/one's history.

Sad that there appears to be so much hostility towards us "Northerners" or anyone that doesn't fall under a certain category/label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida