U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM

11 posts, read 52,066 times

Advertisements

I have looked up average temps., but I'm not good at translating that to day-to-day attire. I've learned that summer is supposed to be April-October, but what is it like in the non-summer months? I tend to get chilly...

Should I expect to need just light jackets and never a coat? Does anyone wear, for example, cashmere sweaters or scarves or gloves, or is that undeard of? How many months out of the year can I wear jeans (or do I need to be exposing tanned legs every month except Jan. and Feb.)?

Right now, what are people wearing, and what'll they be wearing in Jan. and Feb.?

Are pools left open year-round? I would imagine they're not.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 PM

135 posts, read 657,993 times
pools are open yr round. it doesn't get cold here. exposed tan legs yr round sounds good. no scarves or gloves. sweaters and a light jacket when a good cold front comes in.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM

137 posts, read 498,025 times
Today I wore shorts, tee & flip flops. You only break out the winter coat about 3 times and that is usually in Feb & Mar. It's kinda cool in the mornings but by noon it's comfortable, just dress in layers. It's beautiful weather! I work in Gainesville!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,304,395 times
I am 15 miles from Ocala. Last winter(Dec-Feb) we had about 4-7(?) nights that dipped to freezing. But the days are usually warm. Yesterday was hot-shorts and tees, but my dh was in jeans.

It's pretty warm(short sleeve weather through December) and then it will get cool. What I mean by cool is jeans, and a shirt with a light jacket or a sweatshirt. End of Dec.-end of Jan. or so you will need a jacket or coat at night. And if you get cold easily I would recommend gloves at night and early morning. But as another post said we do warm up every afternoon. Late Dec-thru late Jan seem to be the coolest time.

Personally so far this year it has been too hot for me. I like temps in the 70's-we are still in the 80's.

I hope I haven't confused you more.

Lisa

Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Dress in layer that are easy to remove... Most of the time you will more comfortable and breathable clothing than warmer or winter clothing. I'm in the northwest part of the state and a light jacket is more than sufficient for me. A short sleeve polo, jeans and out we go. By noon time the jacket is off and still dressed properly and can switch back to the jacket is necessary.

During Dec and Jan we do wear shorts and t-shirt's because the weather might swing 40 degrees thought the day. I do remember a X-mas party that we had folks wearing short's, t-shirt's and sandals because the weather was not that cold.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 AM

205 posts, read 908,776 times
It is December 1st and the high today here is 81....scarves, gloves, and cashmere sweaters are pretty much unheard of here.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 AM

137 posts, read 498,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando'an View Post
i agree with young lisa, still not cool enough yet. i mean, it is december now.

ps- what is meant by the title, "NC Fla./Gainesville?"
I think they mean North Central Florida - Gainesville area.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 AM

24 posts, read 77,550 times
Well, me personally ... I enjoy the cool temps, always have.

Right now a cold front came through, and I have my windows open enjoying it, with a pair of shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

The most I usually wear is a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt and a beanie ... though maybe a week to a month out of the year I sometimes wear a pair of sweats under my pants ... but that is when I worked outside at night. I almost never need a comforter on the bed either.

So, if you don't love the cold ... then you will need some decent warm clothes. -maybe- a pair of gloves if you don't have some good pockets in a jacket/sweatshirt. Layering is the best idea, but if you are really sensitive to the cold, you can pick up long-johns/thermals ... which are actually quite thin here. I have seen people rather bundled up ... those really thick jackets and ear muffs ... it makes me giggle a bit, but it is because I don't think it is that cold here enough to ever warrant such a outfit :P

So ... since you get chilly, basically, a beanie (or some other warm headgear), a pair of light gloves, sweatshirt/sweater with or without layers or a decent jacket, jeans/pants with possibly sweats/thermal underneath, a good pair of socks, and some closed shoes to hold in the warmth. Cashmere and scarves are optional if you want to get fancy

I have witnessed tank tops, shorts, and sandals all year round a few times.

And yes, pools are open all year.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,983,612 times
LAYER in the winter.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM

29 posts, read 79,724 times
Shorts, shorts and shorts. Occasional sweat shirt in the winter and an umbrella in the summer. Summer can last until December
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or