Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM

550 posts, read 366,628 times

Advertisements

The news media jumps on a theme and nothing matters after that.

I am disgusted with the coverage on the Wesley Chapel shooting. The news media hates anyone who has a gun so it has made the shooter out to be a monster and the dead man a poor little victim. The widow has even had her own news conferences and fund raisers (what a surprise).

This started out as one person asking another to stop texting in a movie theater.

This shooting could have been avoided if the cell phone user had been a gentleman and either stopped his cell phone use or stepped out in the lobby to use it.

Instead, he threw the first blow (shades of Martin/Zimmerman) by throwing a box of popcorn at the shooter.

Does anyone think for one minute that Oulson, the dead man, would have provoked a fight if he'd looked behind and seen the man asking him to stop texting was 6-feet, 250-lb? Of course not.

Instead Oulson, a trim over 6-foot man, saw a gray-haired, elderly, overweight man and acted like a violent jerk. It would have been difficult in a dark movie theater for someone in their 70s to realize the throwing motion was simply popcorn and not a first or something else.

Now a politically-motivated judge is denying bail for the shooter. Routinely, accused raptists, child molesters, drug dealers, domestic violence suspects get bail but a self-defense defendant is denied bail because of all the crappy publicity. The news media hates it whenever anyone defends himself/herself with a gun.

Anyone especially those of us over 65 should be outraged by this prejudiced coverage of this case.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,249,529 times
You're as deranged as the shooter

Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,275,077 times
the other day an oldtimer accosted my golf foursome because he thought we hit into his group - he was mistaken - but he came at all of us like a uncontrolled maniac - I don't know what it is about some oldtimers - they seem to lose their sense of control and anger management skills and get caught up over their heads.....I've seen the same thing in the football stadium - guess they think that since they're old, they're given a pass and can get in anybody's face.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,623,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

I am disgusted with the coverage on the Wesley Chapel shooting. The news media hates anyone who has a gun so it has made the shooter out to be a monster and the dead man a poor little victim. The widow has even had her own news conferences and fund raisers (what a surprise).

This started out as one person asking another to stop texting in a movie theater.

This shooting could have been avoided if the cell phone user had been a gentleman and either stopped his cell phone use or stepped out in the lobby to use it.

Instead, he threw the first blow (shades of Martin/Zimmerman) by throwing a box of popcorn at the shooter.

Does anyone think for one minute that Oulson, the dead man, would have provoked a fight if he'd looked behind and seen the man asking him to stop texting was 6-feet, 250-lb? Of course not.

Instead Oulson, a trim over 6-foot man, saw a gray-haired, elderly, overweight man and acted like a violent jerk. It would have been difficult in a dark movie theater for someone in their 70s to realize the throwing motion was simply popcorn and not a first or something else.

Now a politically-motivated judge is denying bail for the shooter. Routinely, accused raptists, child molesters, drug dealers, domestic violence suspects get bail but a self-defense defendant is denied bail because of all the crappy publicity. The news media hates it whenever anyone defends himself/herself with a gun.

Anyone especially those of us over 65 should be outraged by this prejudiced coverage of this case.
And don't forget...the old fella was sitting down and the dead guy jumped up, turned to face him, leaned into the old man's space, grabbed the popcorn, then tossed it at him.

I don't know if the judge is politically motivated but the bail hearing is pretty meaningless in the overall scheme of things. As they say, a ham sandwich can be indicted.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,570,260 times
Get a clue...just because someone is old doesn't mean the world has to bow down and kiss your arse, it ain't all about them. That young man showed an incredible amount of restraint for the amount of harassment that old turd gave him. He tried to handle it politely explaining it was a matter involving a child and the phone would be powered down and off before the movie started and by all accounts it was off before Reeves went to management. But that wasn't good enough for the arrogant hothead as he had an agenda.

He's right where he belongs, lol....no cell phones allowed in jail and let him run his mouth in there and he'll get the whipping Chad should've put on him. Immediately after the killing and at his first court appearance he was nonchalant, casual, and cracking the occasional smile. I don't see that anymore, lol....old dirtbag looks sad and scared.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,526,322 times
Let's see which is deadlier? Popcorn or a bullet?

Popcorn kills if you eat buckets of it loaded with butter & salt after several decades.
Bullets kill in a few minutes.
Maybe the ex cop was trying to speed up the eventual death of Oulson by eating too much popcorn.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,684,976 times
It is true that if the shooter was not attacked then the younger man would be alive today. Sometimes a tragedy is a combination of mistakes by both parties. The younger man being inconsiderate and aggressively intimidating the senior citizen. The senior citizen perhaps misjudging the situation and being fearful. No I do not consider this a good shooting. But I do try to understand how and what happened. But I do know that the senior citizen was looking forward into a theater screen. The younger man was in front and had his hands and arms backward. Very likely the senior did not actually know what hit him other than whatever it was came from the young man. That would explain his fear.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,045,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Get a clue...just because someone is old doesn't mean the world has to bow down and kiss your arse, it ain't all about them. That young man showed an incredible amount of restraint for the amount of harassment that old turd gave him. He tried to handle it politely explaining it was a matter involving a child and the phone would be powered down and off before the movie started and by all accounts it was off before Reeves went to management. But that wasn't good enough for the arrogant hothead as he had an agenda.

He's right where he belongs, lol....no cell phones allowed in jail and let him run his mouth in there and he'll get the whipping Chad should've put on him. Immediately after the killing and at his first court appearance he was nonchalant, casual, and cracking the occasional smile. I don't see that anymore, lol....old dirtbag looks sad and scared.
Well, if Oulson didnt get up, face Reeves, throw a cell phone at him, grab his popcorn and throw that at him he would be alive today. Doesnt matter if the shooter was 71 or 27. Self defense is a God given right.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,970,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

Let's see not a box of popcorn but a handful of popcorn. The shooter did know it was popcorn as he stated " I'll teach you not to throw popcorn at me" prior to shooting. Another good given right it's the right to life, self defense doesn't mean I can shoot you dead for texting or throwing popcorn or yelling or scaring me.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,570,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Well, if Oulson didnt get up, face Reeves, throw a cell phone at him, grab his popcorn and throw that at him he would be alive today. Doesnt matter if the shooter was 71 or 27. Self defense is a God given right.
Maybe NRA God...real God said "thou shall not kill". It wasn't self defense either. Self defense would require some fear. Reeves was to busy harassing, intimidating, provoking and most importantly making ready his death device to be fearful...there was no time for fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida