U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:58 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times

Advertisements

Good source of info: http://www.theenvironmentsite.org/Forum/index.php?c=8

Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,339,689 times
Muggy you are so right. The wind from a hurricane is bad but the storm surge is a lot worse. Unfortunately in the job I have I've seen the worse of the worse when it comes to disasters. It's still mind boggling when I see a home built in a tropical storm flood Zone with hurricane shutters, and people thinking they're going to ride out a cat.3 storm! I'm not sure if the shutters are there to keep the fish in or out of the home. In the past couple of years Florida has been lucky when it comes to storm surge. Everglades City got about 8 ft. from Wilma. If that storm was just 40 miles north it would have been horrific. Charlie, which hit southwest Florida was a very compact storm. The storm surge from a cat.4 would have been 20 ft. plus. But we lucked out due to the small size of the storm. And yes you are right, flooding is a very serious issue when it comes to construction in central and southwest Florida. Huricane Donna was the last time we experienced an actual storm surge of any signifigance. Fortunately many people did not live here then. I for one was not even born yet but have heard the stories of how the water was sucked out of the caloosahatchie river on the approach of the storm, and returned with a vengence as the storm passed and the winds reversed. Today things are completely different. Nobody used to build homes in mangrove areas or low lying marshes. So no-one is quite sure what will happen to all the new construction in these areas should a major hurricane hit.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,339,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
There was a story not long ago about all of the high-rise construction in St. Pete, and while most had been built to wind code, some engineers are worried that they would not be able to handle the sustained pressure of a flood or prolonged storm surge. I'll look for the article...

I can't find it. There are too many search variables. If anyone knows what I am talking about and can link it up - thanks.

As for near-to-medium term housing plans, global warming is not a concern of mine. It may damage already sensitive areas that are prone to erosion (Upham Beach, Egmont Key and so on...), but I don't see any major shift in Florida's coastline worth panicking over.
I dont think global warming is a concern in the short term.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,902,448 times
HAHAHAHA this ones REALLY funny.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,613,967 times
Default Global Chill!!!

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...s/Ice_Age.html
Global warming can only lead to one thing. The Ice Age".

Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,973,621 times
The entire Antarctic ice sheet holds enough water to raise global sea levels by 62 metres (203 feet).

Global warming is worse than we fear. I checked the simulations and if the sea level rises just one meter we can kiss the Key West bye, New Orleans bye, most of Miami bye and most of the oceanfront houses will have the ocean in the kitchen! They predict this to happen in our lifetimes! May not be a good idea to buy oceanfront property if you plan to live the rest of your lives in it!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 40,032 times
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/...geographic.com

IF we don't believe the scientist who are you believing??? the politicians?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 AM

61 posts, read 190,281 times
Default there is more than global warming to consider

one of the reasons, a major reason I'm looking to move to North Central Florida from where I am, (5 miles from the beach) besides global warming, which I DO think we will see the effects here in Southern florida IN OUR LIFETIME (the ice sheets are melting too fast - towns that were famous for siteseeing the glacier, no longer have a glacier, polar bears drowning etc ) is take a good look at what happened in New Orleans. And what it still looks like.

Francis was a cat 3 for us - and maybe Wilma was too....138 mph winds - if we have a 5 like Katrina - the surge will go in as far as 441 down here...which is 14 miles away...

And then there is the island in The Canary Islands which is splitting in half - NOW. It's being watched by the scientists (the split at this point is 15 feet wide and very very deep). Watch the History channel I think it was shown on. I forget the name of the Island, maybe it was Las Palma - something like that - in any case, they say if that shelf falls into the atlantic, there will be a tsunami that will cover not only the East Coast of America but South America too.....and make the Xmas tsunami look like a miniature tsunami -

After we have seen Aceh Bandi and Katrina's effect on New Orleans, I dont think one should be complacent about living at or near the Florida seashore. 60 miles inland is my idea of safe.

I'd like to hear more about the hurricane that sucked all the water out of the river and then flooded when it came back....where was it again and what year ? maybe I can google it.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 AM

11 posts, read 50,540 times
Default Global warming 101

Ignorant perspectives like this frustrate me. You just gave a perfect example of the problem - people won't believe global warming is a problem until the effects are right in front of them, but by that it will be too late to do anything. Just because you're having a cold spell doesn't mean global warming isn't real. Throughout our planet's history, major environmental changes always begin at the poles. The AVERAGE temperature has gone up 7 degrees in the last 50 years in Alaska and the polar areas, and over 1 degree in the last 50 years here in the contiguous 48. Sure you can still have a cold spell, but that doesn't change the fact that the environment is changing more rapidly than at any other point in the earth's history. If it makes you feel good to believe it's just a natural phenomenon I can't stop you. But the overwhelming evidence is we are the catalyst of this change. Furthermore, the changes are going to accelerate. As the ice caps and permafrost continues to melt, they are releasing additional carbon into the atmosphere which will turn the planet into a greenhouse. Also, the ice caps currently reflect a huge amount of sunlight back into the atmosphere. As the ice caps melt, all that extra sunlight will be absorbed here on earth.
This is not a pipe dream, nor is it just alarmism. It's scientific reality. We know what's happening, we know why, and we know what will happen if we do nothing. And yet we do nothing, because like you, people only believe what they can feel and see for themselves. That trait will be the death of us. In 100-200 years, the survivors of planet earth are going to look back and be flabbergasted at how stupid we were for not making this are absolute #1 priority when we still had the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I definitely want to check out the site Muggy has posted.

Affordable, yes, I've read that same thing. My intention is not to start a debate, but I PERSONALLY don't believe in global warming. I believe it is just another natural phase the earth is going through. I don't debate that we're ruining our atmosphere and our earth with all our emissions and carelessness. So we should definitely be on the side of caution and change our ways. But as I'm sitting here in So. Dak. and our days have been 10-15 degrees below average, I once again question the whole global warming thing. We're already having temps that we'd normally have the end of Nov. Anyway, there is a good show on the weather channel that is on 5pm EST that discusses global warming. It is very informative.

One of the things that I've read that is fascinating is the fact that our most recent mini ice age was from 1555 until the mid 1800s. We are supposed to be coming out of that now starting back in the 1930s. The melting of the Arctic is back to where it was 600 years ago. As I said, it's just my personal feelings and I'd be VERY surprised if Fla. ended up under water in our lifetime.

Last edited by travelmonkey; 11-01-2006 at 03:46 AM..

Old 11-01-2006, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 50,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
A the risk of being flamed once again by posting real scientific data in opposition to the media hype... lol...

Maybe this ignorant perspective will enlighten you. My intention is not to start an argument, but alot of the doomsday hype is pushed in the media for reasons other than pure scientific truth. The only real ignorance here is believing the tv and al gore's rants as the absolute gospel.
I don't care what Al Gore or anyone on TV says. The scientific evidence of global warming is overwhelming. People who refuse to acknowledge global warming always make it about the politics. They say oh, it's just liberals, or Al Gore. But I'm looking at what the atmospheric scientists are saying. Politicians be damned.
I agree that the media tends to catastrophize. That said, this isn't about the media. Nearly every scientist in the world who studies climate change believes global warming is real, and their evidence is convincing beyond a reasonable doubt to anyone who isn't dead set against believing.
As for the study you posted, this is interesting info but it changes nothing. The issue is not how warm it is now. The issue is how quickly it's getting warmer. The overwhelming evidence still suggests the planet has never before seen such a rapid temperature increase as we're seeing now. Furthermore, it's accelarating. The speed at which the change is occuring simply is not natural.
I just hope in 100-200 years when the coasts are underwater and mean global temps are up 30 degrees, the descendents of today's stubborn naysayers will be forced to live in Texas while the rest escape to the temperate climate of northern Canada.

Last edited by travelmonkey; 11-01-2006 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or