Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:57 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest_313 View Post
To Kmarc:

You're very welcome. To me, life is short and I try to live to its fullest and very happy to have my son now. That's the person I've always been and being educated with manners from my parents (thank them for this). As the saying goes, "In order for people to respect you, you first have to earned it." I'm just paying forward......

That's very true, what I've seen is the last decade or so, the recent immigrants here in the US thinks that the people or state of the US needs to be on hands and feet at them. If they so complain about this or that, then WHY the HELL would you want to come here in the first place. Everyone needs to pay their dues.

I've been here since 1978, when I was just a munchkin. My family worked throughout our lives to have a better life and we always appreciated what the US have done for us. Now, the new legal/illegals are coming here basically ask for hand-outs and not contribute to society.

I apologize for my rant...the subject can go for hours is it gets momentum.....

Anyways, best wishes to you.
I wish you would come to Tampa Bay, we need more people like you here, maybe there is something else you could do? As I mentioned, it's more working class than the Miami and Orlando areas. But you'd probably hate the humidity. Now, St. Pete or Sarasota might be good locations for a nail business, seems like there's more disposable income than in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 PM

296 posts, read 658,331 times
I live in St. Petersburg and there is a noticeable Asian population here. A lot of Asian businesses as well, multiple Thai restaurants, Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese. The University of South Florida at St. Petersburg also has a heavy Asian student population.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
The bigger Asian populations in Florida tend to cluster around military bases for assorted reasons of love and war. So the Panhandle, Tampa, and Brevard County tend to have a few more Thais, Filipinos, Japanese, and Koreans, plus Orlando has a pretty big Vietnamese population. I'd probably add Jacksonville (Navy) to that list but I'm not as sure of their demographics.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Definitely would recommend Orlando or Tampa for Asian communities/influence.

Jax has tons of Filipinos (pretty sure the most in the entire state...I'd have to look it up to verify) and a sizable Vietnamese population percent-wise. But doesn't compare to Tampa or Orlando.

Anywhere in FL will be tough on you with the heat/humidity.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
I think that if you don't like high humidity, bugs, and snakes, then you're not going to like Florida. We haven't had any issues w/ poisonous snakes, but yes, there are snakes, and some are poisonous. It's not like you'll find them in your home though. Might be in the shed or yard for sure. Bugs are everywhere, but surprisingly our place has not one roach in 2 years, so we're happy about that. Probably my least favorite bug. There seems to be a nail shop in every strip mall that has over 5 stores in it where we are, including the Walmarts, malls, etc. You would think it was a strip mall requirement or something. They always look pretty busy.

The only illegals I usually run into are the ones that came over here many years ago and stole the land from the original Indian inhabitants. Unlike California, you will find a fair number of VERY right wing, tea party types in Florida. Some areas are worse than others. That's the biggest downside to this state, in my mind. The Know Nothing Republicans. NOT who I would want living next to me. But, many places in Florida are cheap to live in, it's warm, and there's a beach. That's what keeps us here. California is hardly a utopia either, and after living there extensively for decades (big difference between Northern and Southern California) it's not someplace I would go, especially the border towns, where you will find a lot of the same thinking as in Florida. But it's somewhat different. Doesn't feel as hate filled as what I encounter out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida