Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
This is significantly false information. The breezes off of the Gulf of Mexico are internationally known for their consistency year round and their tendency to lower the temperature feel. Hence why you have cities, restaurants, bars, theme park rides, drinks, and island resorts all named "Gulf Breeze." The stream is known to blow west to east which is why you find most Gulf Breeze associations in Tampa Bay, Ft. Myers, Key West, Jamaica, etc.
I live by the "intracoastal" and at least summertime we have a constant breeze (plus it feels 2-3 degrees cooler than Tampa). I think the Gulf ambiance from CLW Beach down to Pass-a-Grille is better, feels more laid back/relaxed. Down there it feels more crowded and hectic(not bad, just different). I think that's why Pinellas/West FL coast beaches are constantly voted best in the mainland.

http://www.tierraverderealestateagen...e%20aerial.jpg

Last edited by Trigger-f; 02-27-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,307 times
Was looking at Weston, Boca, Coral Springs as possible areas to stay for Fort Lauderdale, like Boca best due to being closer to the water. Schools are obviously something I am researching as well, many of which are rated better than where we live now, Weston seems to have some of the best schools but about 30 minutes from the water. No idea what or where in Tampa, maybe staying closer to Sarasota or Treasure Island, thinking that may be a bit expensive though even on our income. Ideally I would like to be able to get up in the a.m. and walk or run on the beach so the closer the better, would like to get a paddle board as well. The Kids, hubby and I love to swim so yucky water is not something we would like. Is Sarasota and some of the other areas closer to the Ocean not nice either?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:45 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I must say, Crane, your ability to convey a lot of information in a few brief sentences has me in awe. I mean that sincerely. It's a talent I wish I had.
Haha, I just realized I basically gave the cliffnotes version of your response. I have been however to have some very lengthy response. Sometimes it just depends if I'm posting from my comp or smart phone. If it's a short abbreviated response you can assume I was using my phone.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
The Atlantic waters are awesome all year round. Only issues is with seaweed sometimes thats it. And of course when the waves are large or rip currents. Tampa is more suburbia and "American" Ft. Lauderdale due to its proximity to Miami is more diverse and has a bigger city feel even though as a city alone Tampa is large than Lauderdale. But Tampa is the hub of its area while Miami 25miles south is the hub of SE Florida. Tampa will certainly have a lower cost of living though that is for sure.

Check both places out. Oh and you are right Lauderdale will certainly be warmer than Tampa, some times significantly warmer. Tampa can get into the 40s and 50s often. Lauderdale the 50s are uncommon and the 40s is a few times a year.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:02 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.SNOW View Post
Was looking at Weston, Boca, Coral Springs as possible areas to stay for Fort Lauderdale, like Boca best due to being closer to the water. Schools are obviously something I am researching as well, many of which are rated better than where we live now, Weston seems to have some of the best schools but about 30 minutes from the water. No idea what or where in Tampa, maybe staying closer to Sarasota or Treasure Island, thinking that may be a bit expensive though even on our income. Ideally I would like to be able to get up in the a.m. and walk or run on the beach so the closer the better, would like to get a paddle board as well. The Kids, hubby and I love to swim so yucky water is not something we would like. Is Sarasota and some of the other areas closer to the Ocean not nice either?
In the Tampa Bay area, if you want beaches, then Pinellas County is your best bet, from Clearwater down through the St. Pete Beach area and just south of it. On the other side of the Skyway Bridge, it's the Bradenton down to Sarasota Beaches area, but that depends on where you're working.

People seem to think the Gulf Beaches are awesome, but I really don't care for the water at all, compared to the Atlantic. I really think it's kind of gross during the summer, and when there's a red tide, you can't go to the beaches at all, unless you want to hack up a lung. But again, you'll find people on this board who disagree with me vehemently on this point.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
In the Tampa Bay area, if you want beaches, then Pinellas County is your best bet, from Clearwater down through the St. Pete Beach area and just south of it. On the other side of the Skyway Bridge, it's the Bradenton down to Sarasota Beaches area, but that depends on where you're working.

People seem to think the Gulf Beaches are awesome, but I really don't care for the water at all, compared to the Atlantic. I really think it's kind of gross during the summer, and when there's a red tide, you can't go to the beaches at all, unless you want to hack up a lung. But again, you'll find people on this board who disagree with me vehemently on this point.
You should try a pool, it's clearer than Atlantic waters.

Believe it or not, the gulf of Mexico as a whole has a higher diversity than the Atlantic coast. Red tide does appear, but does not last long and it's not a big deal as you make it to be, otherwise the whole marine ecosystem would have collapsed by now.

[vimeo]47427943[/vimeo]
Flower Garden Banks - Gulf of Mexico: August 8 - 12, 2012 on Vimeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_Pjg5YPCU

15419 Gulf species vs 4277 in SE FL(staggering difference). The water is what it is(murky because the gulfstream passes further out on the West coast and the sand is made of silica(that's why we win 'Best Beach awards" consistently - it's very fine). But that does not mean someone should not care about the water.

PLOS ONE: An Overview of Marine Biodiversity in United States Waters

Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,307 times
Taking everything in. Guessing it will be most of hubby's choice in the end to which job is a better fit. I want to thank everyone for your opinions and information. Greatly appreciate it. We were planning on retiring here full time as well and will stay till the day we die. So worst case is that we like one more than the other. Fortunately my husbands position is very versatile and he could work anywhere once down south. Very blessed for that! Same for my career as well. We vacationed in Destin, Florida last year and loved it there too, but thinking the winters there are defiantly a little cold for my taste.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:57 PM

Trigger, I'm willing to admit I might be being a bit over the top on this point. You seem to know much more about it than I do. If you can recommend a beach on the Gulf in the Tampa Bay area where the water doesn't feel like a warm bath during the summer, please let me know. Nothing would make me happier than to find a pleasant, clean, relatively uncrowded Gulf Beach where I can get a refreshing swim and a bit of breeze. I seem to recall that it wasn't so bad down by Sanibel/Captiva. But I just can't travel that far, so I'm talking South Pinellas or Bradenton here. Clearwater Beach in the summer is painful, IMO.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Trigger, I'm willing to admit I might be being a bit over the top on this point. You seem to know much more about it than I do. If you can recommend a beach on the Gulf in the Tampa Bay area where the water doesn't feel like a warm bath during the summer, please let me know. Nothing would make me happier than to find a pleasant, clean, relatively uncrowded Gulf Beach where I can get a refreshing swim and a bit of breeze. I seem to recall that it wasn't so bad down by Sanibel/Captiva. But I just can't travel that far, so I'm talking South Pinellas or Bradenton here. Clearwater Beach in the summer is painful, IMO.
Try Holmes Beach/Anna Maria island (there's a reef system there too) or Indian Rocks Beach in Pinellas (it's pretty uncrowded; seems everyone tries to go to CLW beach.)

I think the sea grasses around TB are coming back filtering the water more.. Water clarity should continue to improve.

Sea grass gains good sign for future for Tampa Bay | Tampa Bay Times

Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Try Holmes Beach/Anna Maria island (there's a reef system there too) or Indian Rocks Beach in Pinellas (it's pretty uncrowded; seems everyone tries to go to CLW beach.)

I think the sea grasses around TB are coming back filtering the water more.. Water clarity should continue to improve.

Sea grass gains good sign for future for Tampa Bay | Tampa Bay Times
That's GREAT news about the seagrass! Frankly I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to swim in Tampa Bay, I think it's really unfortunate that business and industry can't co-exist with the human need for access to clean natural areas. I about cried when I read how there used to be pristine beaches in Gibsonton back in the day (I think it was circa 1930s) where residents could go and take a dip and gather some of the best fresh oysters in the country. Even more fantastic, there were freshwater springs beneath the sands that used to bubble up in sprinkler-type sprays and people could shower off in the natural fresh water right on the beach, no need for man-made showers. That's gone now, occupied by filthy industrial enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida