Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:54 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Telling people not to move here isn't working, they are throwing up more and more gated communities all the time here. Seems like soon the state will be covered with them. Those who have the money to live in these modern day stockades will just keep pouring into Florida for the climate.
You got that right. It's unsustainable, IMO. What would really be interesting to see is if the grid goes out for an extended period of time during the summer. Then Florida wouldn't look so desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How does your link contradict what I said, at all?
It doesn't. I just said that it's one facet of a broader set of statistics.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM

389 posts, read 662,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
You got that right. It's unsustainable, IMO. What would really be interesting to see is if the grid goes out for an extended period of time during the summer. Then Florida wouldn't look so desirable.
Or, what if the unthinkable happens: A Category 5 hurricane that makes landfall just south of Miami or in the Keys and then travels north through the state. Such a monster storm potentially could affect both coasts and wouldn't lose much strength until reaching Central or even North Florida because of the pancake-flat terrain. Devastation would be widespread; power would be out for weeks if not months in the summer heat; food, water and gasoline shortages would be the norm; and heavily damaged areas would be overrun by unlicensed, uninsured price-gougers looking to make a quick buck during the rebuilding process (there were dozens of them around my neighborhood after Wilma). In the aftermath, windstorm insurance rates would rise to levels that make today's exorbitant premiums seem cheap.

Such a scenario would do more to scare people away from Florida than Stand Your Ground or any other law that is or isn't passed. I pray we never have to go through it. The 2004-05 storms were bad enough.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
Or, what if the unthinkable happens: A Category 5 hurricane that makes landfall just south of Miami or in the Keys and then travels north through the state. Such a monster storm potentially could affect both coasts and wouldn't lose much strength until reaching Central or even North Florida because of the pancake-flat terrain. Devastation would be widespread; power would be out for weeks if not months in the summer heat; food, water and gasoline shortages would be the norm; and heavily damaged areas would be overrun by unlicensed, uninsured price-gougers looking to make a quick buck during the rebuilding process (there were dozens of them around my neighborhood after Wilma). In the aftermath, windstorm insurance rates would rise to levels that make today's exorbitant premiums seem cheap.

Such a scenario would do more to scare people away from Florida than Stand Your Ground or any other law that is or isn't passed. I pray we never have to go through it. The 2004-05 storms were bad enough.
Events in recent years have proven that people have very short memories. But, such an event is far from unthinkable, it can and probably will happen at some point. However, it wouldn't take such a dramatic catastrophe to make Florida unlivable for many. Merely an extended, widespread power outage during the summer months. That's all it would take. I'm just saying this is not the promised land that people think it is.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM

440 posts, read 595,637 times
Quote:
Events in recent years have proven that people have very short memories. But, such an event is far from unthinkable, it can and probably will happen at some point. However, it wouldn't take such a dramatic catastrophe to make Florida unlivable for many. Merely an extended, widespread power outage during the summer months. That's all it would take. I'm just saying this is not the promised land that people think it is.
Here's a scenario that could happen, pretty well put together

What if a Cat 5 Hurricane Hit Tampa

Old 03-12-2014, 11:23 AM

79 posts, read 89,199 times
What the poster does not realize is that it's not a matter of claiming SYG, its proving that SYG was applicable to the situation. The prosecutors don't let SYG stand very often. The application of SYG law is very limited in scope. I believe FL has over 1 million CWP holders. Where is all this shooting taking place?
How often do you hear of a CWP holder actually using his firearm? it is rare. However, criminals use their guns against unarmed innocent citizens on a regular basis. I think that poster talks through his hat regardless of the subject. Many states have SYG laws. None of them are a wild west type of situation because of it. SYG helps protect the innocent person from getting killed by a criminal or someone determined to cause them bodily harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't know how I feel about the law, but I think it's dumb to think "SYG" CAUSES more shootings.

Most people in the heat of the moment are not going to think, "hey, because this is a SYG state, I can shoot this person and claim self defense."

That isn't the fact pattern in Zimmerman, and it's not the fact pattern in Dunn. Those guys reacted how they did and THEN used the self-defense justification (which, btw, exists in all states, SYG is just another layer) to try to justify their shooting.

And for the record, black men take advantage of the protection of SYG in Florida and are disproportionately more likely to be successful in its use than white men, so it has nothing to do with race.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Widespread power outages happen all over the world. People aren't going to quit their jobs, sell their homes and uproot their lives over a power outage no matter where they live. FL would be just as desirable after the power comes back on.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post
What? Didn't Zimmerman get attacked first by getting sucker punched and his head bashed into the concrete? Therefore he was defending his life from someone who was trying to kill him?

Dunn on the other hand, do not know enough and still believe there is more to that story then told.

Stand your ground saved George Zimmermans life from an account from a kid who was determined to kill him.

Ask yourself, who threw the first punch and was the one who was the actual attacker. Answer is Martin.
Zimmerman wasn't getting killed he was just getting his ass kicked for running up on somebody he didn't know...why didn't he fight back like a man like he was fighting his girlfriend. He got away with murder pure and system. But he will pay one way or another

Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Widespread power outages happen all over the world. People aren't going to quit their jobs, sell their homes and uproot their lives over a power outage no matter where they live. FL would be just as desirable after the power comes back on.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
You tell me if you'd like to live in Fla without AC for a couple of months in the summer. I guarantee by the second week (or less) you'd be looking to get to somewhere cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida