Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,480,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Aha, why the gov has not taken any steps to reduce obesity? Truth is the following top 3 causes of death in the US are also due to smoking. I've seen heavy smokers b*tching about obese people all the time without looking in the mirror. I don't see you singing against smoking though or any other major cause of death.

1. Diseases of heart
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases (such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and asthma)

What I know is that you sound as having an agenda due to perhaps personal experiences? When I see obese people I don't put them down. So, who are you to judge others, God? Consider passing criticism to the smokers to be fair!

You must be European because you keep mentioning traveling to Europe(?). UK and some other European countries, even Australia, New Zealand and Canada are on the same boat. It's the Western world lifestyle, nothing more or less. Also, many European countries still boast some of the highest numbers or smokers in the world. In my book that's even worse than obesity.
Just look around you.
If you don't think America has an obesity epidemic which is impacting in a major way on the healthcare system you need glasses.
Worse still is the fact that parents in this country are allowing a generation of children to grow up so overweight the kids are unlikely to live as long a life as them.
And why should anyone whose health has been destroyed by over-eating be afforded any more sympathy than someone who has done the same thing with booze or smoking ? Especially as the fatties are still in a position to do something about it ?
BUT, not to stray too far from the original discussion, losing weight would make living in the Florida heat MUCH more tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
.....but we are one of the most populated states, so keep on telling people not to move here......
Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,000,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Just look around you.
If you don't think America has an obesity epidemic which is impacting in a major way on the healthcare system you need glasses.
Worse still is the fact that parents in this country are allowing a generation of children to grow up so overweight the kids are unlikely to live as long a life as them.
And why should anyone whose health has been destroyed by over-eating be afforded any more sympathy than someone who has done the same thing with booze or smoking ? Especially as the fatties are still in a position to do something about it ?
BUT, not to stray too far from the original discussion, losing weight would make living in the Florida heat MUCH more tolerable.
Some people are just big people though. Not necessarily obese but large framed, moderate body fat, and alot of muscle too. These are the guys at the gym who push a lot of weight. They're probably more suited for a colder climate.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM

499 posts, read 581,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Aha, why the gov has not taken any steps to reduce obesity? Truth is the following top 3 causes of death in the US are also due to smoking. I've seen heavy smokers b*tching about obese people all the time without looking in the mirror. I don't see you singing against smoking though or any other major cause of death.

1. Diseases of heart
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases (such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and asthma)

What I know is that you sound as having an agenda due to perhaps personal experiences? When I see obese people I don't put them down. So, who are you to judge others, God? Consider passing criticism to the smokers to be fair!

You must be European because you keep mentioning traveling to Europe(?). UK and some other European countries, even Australia, New Zealand and Canada are on the same boat. It's the Western world lifestyle, nothing more or less. Also, many European countries still boast some of the highest numbers or smokers in the world. In my book that's even worse than obesity.
These statistics are not a true reflection of reality. It's all a big billing game between the insurance companies, hospitals and providers. Obesity is technically not a disease, meaning the insurance companies don't like to pay for office visits, hospitalizations, treatments, medications, etc related to ONLY to weight loss. There must be other (billable) diseases involved (which there almost always is, e.g., heart disease, diabetes, etc), extreme circumstances (<100lbs overweight), or complications (a rash between fat folds, poorly healing wound, etc). It took until 6 months ago for the AMA to recognize obesity as a disease. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/bu...ease.html?_r=0
Obesity is not accurately reflected in the CDC statistics. The #1 cause is heart disease, but that is a very broad/vague category. A 30 year old man dies from a massive heart attack in his sleep, he happens to weigh 600 lbs. His death is classified as "heart disease" because technically, his heart stopped beating and he died. Would he have died if he were a normal weight? Probably not.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,152,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike1203 View Post
Florida is corrupt and your family will not be safe here. Everyday another story of an unarmed individual being shot and killed for getting in a confrontation. The suspects always get away with the killing, STAND YOUR GROUND law is like free to kill who ever you want law.

To many Hot headed old people with guns ,I will never go to this god forsaken state without my gun to shoot any old trigger happy crazy man.

I agree that SYG law needs to be fixed and given stricter guidelines for "self defense." That being said, I am pretty sure your chances of being killed in a car accident anywhere are greater than being shot by hot-headed seniors. And for all the talk of the danger of hurricanes, we have had far fewer natural disasters than other states in the past decade. Corruption--good luck finding a place where someone is not corrupt. We're actually pretty safe here. Just be careful who you cut off on the highway.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,159,330 times
Quote:
Just look around you.
We can go around in circles but not worth it. Drugs/alcohol and smoking are a worse epidemic than obesity(watch Drugs Inc on National Geographic to see what's happening). You clearly have an agenda that's why you've mentioned it so many times in this forum (which is why I decided to respond). Btw, 'fatties' is a derogatory term, hope you don't say that to someone's face.

Quitting smoking would make FL living much more tolerable too for smokers(they can run out of breath just as easy as an obese person).

Old 03-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Actually you're wrong in your assertion that smoking and alcoholism are a worse problem than obesity.

Obesity has been cited as a contributing factor to approximately 100,000–400,000 deaths in the United States per year[12] and has increased health care use and expenditures,[13][14][15][16] costing society an estimated $117 billion in direct (preventive, diagnostic, and treatment services related to weight) and indirect (absenteeism, loss of future earnings due to premature death) costs.[17] This exceeds health-care costs associated with smoking or problem drinking[16] and accounts for 6% to 12% of national health care expenditures in the United States.[18]

Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem, however, is that whilst it's easy to demonise smoking and problem drinking it's more difficult for a government to do so for obesity because so many people in the US are overweight/obese and which politician wants to lose votes by telling people not to go to McDonalds every day.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,964,023 times
Quote:
Actually you're wrong in your assertion that smoking and alcoholism are a worse problem than obesity.

Obesity has been cited as a contributing factor to approximately 100,000–400,000 deaths in the United States per year[12] and has increased health care use and expenditures,[13][14][15][16] costing society an estimated $117 billion in direct (preventive, diagnostic, and treatment services related to weight) and indirect (absenteeism, loss of future earnings due to premature death) costs.[17] This exceeds health-care costs associated with smoking or problem drinking[16] and accounts for 6% to 12% of national health care expenditures in the United States.[18]

Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem, however, is that whilst it's easy to demonise smoking and problem drinking it's more difficult for a government to do so for obesity because so many people in the US are overweight/obese and which politician wants to lose votes by telling people not to go to McDonalds every day.

Demonize smoking and drinking? How about logic? Do you want your kids around a smoker, a drug addict, a drunk, or a fat grandmother?

Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Demonize smoking and drinking? How about logic? Do you want your kids around a smoker, a drug addict, a drunk, or a fat grandmother?

Logically they're probably around them all the time ( except the fat grandmother.)
They drink socially, enjoy the occasional cigar and eat sensibly. They've exercised all their lives. They're both a normal weight for their height. They might even have done some weed while they were at college.
But if you're saying anyone being obese dosn't amount of a hill of beans ( or any other healthy pulses ) then they should look forward to a drastically-shortened life expectancy.
You won't see many obese people in their 70s and 80s walking around - because they didn't do enough walking around earlier in their lives.
Especially here in Florida where the weather is perfect for exercising outdoors.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:20 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,964,023 times
Quote:
Logically they're probably around them all the time ( except the fat grandmother.)
They drink socially, enjoy the occasional cigar and eat sensibly. They've exercised all their lives. They're both a normal weight for their height. They might even have done some weed while they were at college.
But if you're saying anyone being obese dosn't amount of a hill of beans ( or any other healthy pulses ) then they should look forward to a drastically-shortened life expectancy.
You won't see many obese people in their 70s and 80s walking around - because they didn't do enough walking around earlier in their lives.
Especially here in Florida where the weather is perfect for exercising outdoors.
Yes I do. I've personally known several 300 lbers in their eighties. I have a neighbor right now. I've also had the misfortune of having a very fit friend drop dead at 32. I'm not defending obesity, and of course there's precious few benefits, but ranting about anyone overweight is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida