Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times

Advertisements

bmw135xi: actually I do, I cross the bay often so at least I have something to look at. Others, elsewhere in the country, see bumpers, graffiti and lots of garbage along side the highway. No major complaints here. It could be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
DS commutes from Venice to Sarasota, in season adds 15 minutes to his drive. I pick up my granddaughter from preschool and I leave 5 minutes earlier in season. The drawbridges getting onto the island of Venice add more time when they go up for a boat and are more of a worry for me. I've not seen any confrontations at any of the stores, restaurants, parks or beaches I frequent. There's more traffic and people this year than last and I'm not seeing any more problems. It's in season, it's a tourist area and busy, it's not the end of the world.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:27 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhat2006 View Post
People constantly talk about how poverty/ghettos/crime isn't as rampant in Florida/Texas/Georgia/North Carolina/ The South when compared to many Northern and Midwestern Cities. I think people are getting their facts mixed up. Miami an Atlanta alone have the greatest wealth gap in the country(without including Houston, Charlotte, Memphis, Jacksonville etc.). Also, lets not confuse shifting demand with lack of struggle or poverty. Places like Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis etc look worse than places in the South for one main reason. The North is tapped out. Their aren't as many people rich or poor there anymore like their used to be. People, manufacturing, money and business are all moving south an west (sunbelt). Rich people can afford to live on the beach. . . . there are no beaches in the midwest or up north. Rich people like buying property, there isn't any property left up north. In terms of just public funding, the south spends less for education by far. I mean seriously, do you think living in the shadow of the wealthy makes being impoverished any easier? Looks can be deceiving, the south has more poverty by far just look at census numbers. I'd like to say otherwise because this is a black mark on the region thats been here for GENERATIONS. I'd like to say the north's poverty is more heavily concentrated when compared to up north. . . . but again that not the case. Why do you think so many people left the south for opportunities up north? The south still is jealous ad wants to have what so many Northern cities take for granted (higher standard of living). Instead of trying to demean places you aren't familiar with, in all seriousness please give us some useful advice. We would more than appreciate it/ need it.

Florida is much safer than Atlanta or lot of cities in Texas with the exceptions of Miami.Most of crime in Florida are more theft ,stealing, fraud ,shoplift ,drugs ,drunks.

Where Texas as more shootings,killings and B&E with the exceptions of Miami.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
^^^ Perhaps, I dunno.

Need to look that up to verify.

Although you cant really compare FL to Atlanta. Atlanta is a city. Atlanta and Miami may be a fair comparison.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Crank up the tunes and roll down your windows, have your favorite non-alcoholic drink and traffic can be a great time to relax.
This is definitely my attitude about driving. Cannot wait for that weather to come again in WI. I've had the windows up since November. Looking forward to living someplace like FL where I can drive like that year-round.

People also need to plan better and leave earlier to make it to their destinations on time. It's like we have this fear of arriving early so we rush and rush just to get there on time or a few minutes late.

Just this morning was nearly sideswiped by a crazy mom driving a new BMW SUV at my daughter's elementary school. She totally blew a stop sign while turning left. I was like, lady, don't destroy my car and make me late just because you cannot plan ahead and then rush around to get anywhere.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 15,685 times
TO: BMW335xi and Sunny-Days-In-Florida

Apparently you are not aware that out of the top ten highest populated cities in the U.S. three (3) of them are in Texas!

Before you speak of Texas cities being a "town" go there. I have lived in one of those cities and they had more than two routes (U.S. 41 and I75) to go north and south or east and west. Plus, these numbers don't include the metro areas (you never know when you have left one and traveled into another) around those Texas cities. Suggest you take a trip in your little BMW and give them a try. You can live and work in a metro area in Texas and get around faster than traveling through Sarasota and Venice on U.S. 41 in "snowbird season". Sarasota is not considered to be part of a Tampa metro area. Never has been.

I'm not complaining about the way Sarasota was built for normal amount of travel on the thorough fares; however, 2013-2014 season was the worse than past 10 years. The infrastructure is not here for the numbers who swarmed the area this season. The area has tried to slow down the growth, but developers just can't help but add more "outside" communities.

You sound like a real estate agent who wants to just keep pushing money into your pocket regardless of the fact the population in and around Sarasota is being populated with new growth and visitors beyond the vision of Sarasota leaders.

Sorry, no plans to move. Roots to deep here now. Apparently you haven't tried to travel from St. Armands Cir to Palmer Ranch after work around 5:00. Almost an hour just to get over the bridge during winter season. That's just the bridge...not counting south on 41.

Let's see how long your Ohio family wants to live here once a Cat 3-5 hurricane comes through (like Charlie). Was here and saw the damage done south of here and family went down to help those who were homeless. Let one of those come in and your big Ohio family will tuck tail and run just like the others did after that one. Living in Florida is a lot more than "Sunny Days". Oh, and watch kids if you live near water....cottonmouth snakes love your bushes and warm walkways around houses. Also, the pigmy rattlesnakes!!

Everyone wants a place in Florida during the winters; crowd the streets, then high tail it back to the northeast to avoid the heat and mosquitoes of summer....along with the snakes.

There's no such thing as trying to relax when you're trying to get home to make a kids after school/late afternoon-early evening sports event. Every time we see an auto hauler picking up northern cars, it's time to celebrate getting our space back.....especially this year. Oh, I have traveled I4 through Orlando in rush hour; got through it in less than an hour...like I said an hour just to get over the bridge here! Have done the same thing in Tampa; at least there people trying to get home after work and not a bunch of slow-minded out of state drivers who shouldn't be driving, don't know what they want to do until the last minute, think nothing about coming to full stop in middle of street, and you just hope they haven't driven all the way from New York with their lack of driving skills. Avoiding accidents here is an everyday experience with the visitors. During season about half the cars on the streets are these people. That's why we start celebrating this time of year as they are preparing to get out and go home.

You need to find out what some of the locals and long-term residents (workers) think about your big Ohio family moving here. You will be here until the next housing bust or the next hurricane.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Dang what have us non Floridians ever so to you guys?

You think this state is all for you? sorry people but we all live in the same country, I can move to wherever I want.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:57 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARASOTA COUNTY RESIDENT View Post
TO: BMW335xi and Sunny-Days-In-Florida

Apparently you are not aware that out of the top ten highest populated cities in the U.S. three (3) of them are in Texas!

Before you speak of Texas cities being a "town" go there. I have lived in one of those cities and they had more than two routes (U.S. 41 and I75) to go north and south or east and west. Plus, these numbers don't include the metro areas (you never know when you have left one and traveled into another) around those Texas cities. Suggest you take a trip in your little BMW and give them a try. You can live and work in a metro area in Texas and get around faster than traveling through Sarasota and Venice on U.S. 41 in "snowbird season". Sarasota is not considered to be part of a Tampa metro area. Never has been.

I'm not complaining about the way Sarasota was built for normal amount of travel on the thorough fares; however, 2013-2014 season was the worse than past 10 years. The infrastructure is not here for the numbers who swarmed the area this season. The area has tried to slow down the growth, but developers just can't help but add more "outside" communities.

You sound like a real estate agent who wants to just keep pushing money into your pocket regardless of the fact the population in and around Sarasota is being populated with new growth and visitors beyond the vision of Sarasota leaders.

Sorry, no plans to move. Roots to deep here now. Apparently you haven't tried to travel from St. Armands Cir to Palmer Ranch after work around 5:00. Almost an hour just to get over the bridge during winter season. That's just the bridge...not counting south on 41.

Let's see how long your Ohio family wants to live here once a Cat 3-5 hurricane comes through (like Charlie). Was here and saw the damage done south of here and family went down to help those who were homeless. Let one of those come in and your big Ohio family will tuck tail and run just like the others did after that one. Living in Florida is a lot more than "Sunny Days". Oh, and watch kids if you live near water....cottonmouth snakes love your bushes and warm walkways around houses. Also, the pigmy rattlesnakes!!

Everyone wants a place in Florida during the winters; crowd the streets, then high tail it back to the northeast to avoid the heat and mosquitoes of summer....along with the snakes.

There's no such thing as trying to relax when you're trying to get home to make a kids after school/late afternoon-early evening sports event. Every time we see an auto hauler picking up northern cars, it's time to celebrate getting our space back.....especially this year. Oh, I have traveled I4 through Orlando in rush hour; got through it in less than an hour...like I said an hour just to get over the bridge here! Have done the same thing in Tampa; at least there people trying to get home after work and not a bunch of slow-minded out of state drivers who shouldn't be driving, don't know what they want to do until the last minute, think nothing about coming to full stop in middle of street, and you just hope they haven't driven all the way from New York with their lack of driving skills. Avoiding accidents here is an everyday experience with the visitors. During season about half the cars on the streets are these people. That's why we start celebrating this time of year as they are preparing to get out and go home.

You need to find out what some of the locals and long-term residents (workers) think about your big Ohio family moving here. You will be here until the next housing bust or the next hurricane.
Sorry, I didn't read the essay you wrote, but I bet I can sum it up in a couple sentences...

"I am a bitter person that blames my problems on snowbirds. I have no life, but to complain on online forums. I have been to numerous major cities around the world such as Tyler, TX and Athens, GA, so I know traffic when I see it. I am also a terrible driver, but I blame it on the snowbirds because they should know that I will be turning left even though my right signal has been on for the last 10 minutes."

I think I have it right... seriously grow up and learn to get along with others or move to a retirement home with gates.

Disclaimer: I lived in FL and still own the house. I went through three major hurricanes, nobody thinks Florida is all candy and sugar hooters. Get over yourself.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the essay you wrote, but I bet I can sum it up in a couple sentences...

"I am a bitter person that blames my problems on snowbirds. I have no life, but to complain on online forums. I have been to numerous major cities around the world such as Tyler, TX and Athens, GA, so I know traffic when I see it. I am also a terrible driver, but I blame it on the snowbirds because they should know that I will be turning left even though my right signal has been on for the last 10 minutes."

I think I have it right... seriously grow up and learn to get along with others or move to a retirement home with gates.

Disclaimer: I lived in FL and still own the house. I went through three major hurricanes, nobody thinks Florida is all candy and sugar hooters. Get over yourself.
Wait a sec.. a few weeks ago you were putting FL down, now sounds like you're defending it? Nice...

Btw, it is a little hectic right now in FL with all the tourists/snowbirds...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
SARASOTA COUNTY RESIDENT: You are like so many of the FL posters here - whiney and self-righteous, with an unfounded sense of entitlement. You don't OWN Florida, NONE of you so-called Native Floridians do. Just because you've been there a few years longer and basically just "got here first" doesn't give you more rights than anyone else. If I buy property and pay my taxes, I have just much right to be here as you do. We are all Americans and it's a FREE COUNTRY!

You wrote:
"a bunch of slow-minded out of state drivers who shouldn't be driving, don't know what they want to do until the last minute, think nothing about coming to full stop in middle of street, and you just hope they haven't driven all the way from New York with their lack of driving skills. Avoiding accidents here is an everyday experience with the visitors. During season about half the cars on the streets are these people. That's why we start celebrating this time of year as they are preparing to get out and go home."

I HAVE VERY BAD NEWS FOR YOU: THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING. I think the 2013-14 season is a preview of things to come. Things in the NE are bad - really really bad for some people. The middle class is being squeezed out via economics, politics, and Obama-nonsense. Once you consider the horrific weather on top of it, people are leaving in droves. You are going to see many, many more "Northerner's" flocking to Florida for refuge. Everyone I talk to knows someone who is moving away from our area. Better get used to us "slow-minded out of state drivers" as we may soon out-number you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida