Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM

75 posts, read 474,718 times

Advertisements

Are we belling aching about the economy or the weather??? Alright, Florida's pay scale s&cks.... But it isn't called the sunshine state for nothing.. You guys get 7-8 months a nice weather down there... We get like 3 IMO... How can someone enjoy anything outside when it's in the 20's and 30's right now??
And I've been to Miami, Marco, Keys, Fort Lauderdale, and everglades(fishing) in August... It was pretty dam hot... But it didn't disrupt me from having a ball every day... Those bright sunny days just make me feel like a million dollars...
I guess it all comes down to the person... I go to the beach fishing or swimming almost every weekend every year up here in NJ... And it all ends way to quick for me... During the winter I sit in the house with the heat on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I agree with you the sun in Florida is great, I couldn't live in a place that was gloomy 6 months plus a year, but I can't take Florida weather much longer (its just way to hot to long) You said you sit in your house during the winter, I can say the same thing about Florida that I sit in my house for about 7-8 months (May through November and last year most of December so last year was 8 months) indoors because of the weather its just to hot and humid. I haven't taken my bike out since May, its just to hot, it will probably be January when I can take the bike out, but in May it will go back in the garage. God do I wish I lived in a place with milder weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
.... But it isn't called the sunshine state for nothing.. You guys get 7-8 months a nice weather down there... We get like 3 IMO... How can someone enjoy anything outside when it's in the 20's and 30's right now??
And I've been to Miami, Marco, Keys, Fort Lauderdale, and everglades(fishing) in August... It was pretty dam hot... But it didn't disrupt me from having a ball every day... Those bright sunny days just make me feel like a million dollars...
I guess it all comes down to the person... I go to the beach fishing or swimming almost every weekend every year up here in NJ... And it all ends way to quick for me... During the winter I sit in the house with the heat on...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
People are almost always happier when they are on vacation. They have the party hat on and rarely notice the "real" world around them. Nor should they.

But I wouldn't base a relocation on a vacation. In fact, I would do the opposite. Tourist areas are almost always horrible places to live.

For example, lots of people relocate to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, based on previous vacations. They sometimes visit for years. Then they permanently move there and are stunned to find that prices are high, traffic is horrible and jobs are few.

Sound familiar?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:33 PM

548 posts, read 540,743 times
Well we are up in PA right now visiting family until Friday. It snowed 4 inches, 25 degrees. The snow was pretty, we borrowed a sled and took the kids out. Everyone had a great time for a few hours. Then every kid in the neighborhood had enough and went inside.

My uncle's house sits over a road with a hill. We just watched rush hour traffic come by and saw 3 fender benders in 1 hour.

Now the novelty of the first snow is gone. My joints ache, everyone's nose is runny, no leaves, no flowers. The kids are bored, went through a few DVDs....now what?

Our days in Florida are filled with the pool, the park, tennis, golf, the dog park, the water park, walks on the beach, watching sunsets, scuba, snorkeling, etc.

I read these posts of people who hate Florida and sun and heat and stay inside through December and on and on. I must be an alien life form. I can't even relate to that in any way shape or form.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Even in Maine we get temps in the 90s with dew points in the 70s. Granted it's only for about 5-10 days a year where Florida gets that for 6-7 months a year but I still love the hot humid weather. Yeah I sweat a lot in that weather but nothing beats being able to go out with no heavy parka. It sure beats the 20 degree weather and snow we have now. And we are getting 2 more snow storms in the next 5 days...not as big as this last one but enough to make it miserable. Oh yeah, and did I mention that my car is covered in road salt? You have to run your windshield washer fluid every couple hundred feet because the cars and trucks in front of you are spraying up slushy road salt on your window. My dark blue car is now white in road salt. I would wash it but as soon as I drive it out of the car wash it would be covered again.

Yeah, give me the 90s and humidity any day. I am able to go out and do things in the heat more than I ever could in the snow and cold.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM

548 posts, read 540,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Even in Maine we get temps in the 90s with dew points in the 70s. Granted it's only for about 5-10 days a year where Florida gets that for 6-7 months a year but I still love the hot humid weather. Yeah I sweat a lot in that weather but nothing beats being able to go out with no heavy parka. It sure beats the 20 degree weather and snow we have now. And we are getting 2 more snow storms in the next 5 days...not as big as this last one but enough to make it miserable. Oh yeah, and did I mention that my car is covered in road salt? You have to run your windshield washer fluid every couple hundred feet because the cars and trucks in front of you are spraying up slushy road salt on your window. My dark blue car is now white in road salt. I would wash it but as soon as I drive it out of the car wash it would be covered again.

Yeah, give me the 90s and humidity any day. I am able to go out and do things in the heat more than I ever could in the snow and cold.
I can testify to that last sentence. 30 years up north, 6 years in Florida, and now we are in PA for the week. The kids up here I observed this week get up in the morining, went to school, came home, watched TV/video games. Totally different from what our kids and their friends do down in FL on a typical weekday.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
I can testify to that last sentence. 30 years up north, 6 years in Florida, and now we are in PA for the week. The kids up here I observed this week get up in the morining, went to school, came home, watched TV/video games. Totally different from what our kids and their friends do down in FL on a typical weekday.
Well when you have to work a full-time job and commute a distance on top of it, the pleasures of living here are only enjoyed briefly. Winter time the weather is great, but the daylight is gone by the time most get home from work, during the summers months it's either too humid and/or mosquito infested for most to do activities after work. Leaves Sat and Sun to do stuff on top of housework and etc. Not much time, but it makes you appreciate it even more.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM

123 posts, read 134,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
Are we belling aching about the economy or the weather??? Alright, Florida's pay scale s&cks.... But it isn't called the sunshine state for nothing.. You guys get 7-8 months a nice weather down there... We get like 3 IMO... How can someone enjoy anything outside when it's in the 20's and 30's right now??

My guess is that you would like to move to FL. Just remember this comment about hot weather not bothering you after you spent a couple yrs here. LOL.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM

123 posts, read 134,386 times
It's easy to tell, by the responses, who actually live here, and the ones up north that dont live here yet.

My, how some opinons will change.

Last edited by Major League; 12-05-2007 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
I'm with Pete 100% here.......
Even here in western NY, we get some very hot and humid times in the summer. Yes, I know those days are not as frequent as in Florida, but we have them. They are tolerable. And we do not have everyplace air conditioned up here.

Florida, on the other hand, does not experience the weeks of below zero, bone chilling cold that we do. There are days that it actually dangerous to go outside.....your lungs hurt and your breath catches. When it is below zero, it is too cold to snow.

I've been visiting this forum for less then a year, and this is a popular subject. The only point I am making is that I can only speak for myself....I can endure the heat better then I can endure the months of cold. Yes, I know that if I live in Florida for years my blood will thin out. When that happens, I will do my best not to complain.

It's all about what you like, and what you can endure.....it's like the saying on that old poster.....I've been rich, I've been poor....rich is better.

"I've been hot, I've been cold.......hot is better"

I know there are some here that would not agree with that, but of those people I ask, have you ever lived in below zero cold for weeks? I'm not talking about "pretty snow" cold..I'm talking about below zero cold....

I've experienced humid 100 degree weather, and enjoyed it.....I don't enjoy below zero cold......

As I am writing this, it is now 12 degrees here with a wind chill of 2 above.
We have a few inches of snow on the ground. The roads are icy.

Tomorrow I will be back in Florida...80 degrees and sunny. I will be happier tomorrow.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida