U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,219,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
Wow The b8nk, feeling a little miserable? Couldn't score some prescription pills today so now you're here trolling on CDF?

Strike one - not a realtor.
Strike two - no agenda other than showing that life here in FL is good through our picture blog. Sorry if you dont like it, ever done anything creative yourself? The 500 daily pageviews from people around the world looking to come to FL says some people do. No ads either so I MUST be a realtor! Lol.
Strike three - your troll like, crappy and uninformative responses like the one above.

How bout this. Come up with a reason why anyone here should pay any attention to your idiotic comments and get back with me.

Take care.

You didnt know that poster knows everything about everyone?
Crappy and uninformative is all that is comes from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 03:29 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,879,152 times
Quote:
* Our yearly home insurance on our new $200K townhome is $655 and (not required but a smart choice) FEMA flood insurance is $125. Hardly a budget buster.
Is your townhome a condo? If so - most of the property insurance is being paid by your association (and you in your association fees). Also - when it comes to windstorm insurance - deductibles can be pretty high. A low one would be 2%. IOW - you would have to pay $4k out of pocket before your insurance kicks in a dime. Also - should you be unfortunate enough to be in an area with major damage - you may need temporary accommodations for weeks or months (a cost which isn't covered by many homeowners' policies these days). And/or you may have to wait for a year until your "blue roof" is restored to normal (roofers tend to be in short supply after storms).

Is it likely that you personally will get hit by a major storm in the next few years? No. But - over the course of decades - it's likely that many of us will be. Although I like to think I've been through my one "once in a lifetime storm" - it's no guarantee of anything. Some Hurricane Katrina victims came to Florida. And were then hit by storms here .

Quote:
* 16 years here and not one issue with crime.
Crime is very area dependent - and there's a bit of luck involved too. My parents and brother were each burglarized no fewer than 3 times in single family houses (the former lived in Lighthouse Point - the latter in Miami Beach). We lived in high rise condos with lots of security in Miami. Still - we had our car stolen once when dining on Brickell Avenue. We've had no issues with crime since we moved here (neither has my father - who moved to this area as well).

Quote:
* Have always lived within 5 miles of the beach in east central Florida (Viera / Melbourne area) and have evacuated once in almost two decades (due to over reacting) during a non - mandatory evacuation.
We've been subject to mandatory evacuations perhaps 5-6 times - and have evacuated for about 10 storms. Some in Miami - some here. Only one storm was a disaster (Andrew) but one disaster is enough for most people. Have also made umpteen hurricane evacuation reservations that I canceled. I track storms - figure out the best evacuation destination(s) - and know the hotels that will allow me to cancel date of scheduled arrival. Sleeping on the side of the road is definitely not in my repertoire.

When it comes to evacuating - it's best to have a sense of whether and when one should evacuate. A sense you develop over time. We "knew" we were going to face a mandatory evacuation WRT Hurricane Floyd (the largest evacuation in the history of the US - about 2-3 million people IIRC) - and got out early. Our trip to Tallahassee took normal time. By the time people got around to responding to the official mandatory evacuation - the trip was taking 5-7-10 hours or had become impossible.

FWIW - there is now a considerable body of thought - especially in south Florida - that downplays mandatory evacuations. Because the simple fact of the matter is there are too many friggin' people down there (20+ years after Andrew) to evacuate when a storm - even a major one - is approaching (even the Andrew evacuation back then was a total mess).

I think you are unfortunately part of a generation of newbies in Florida who think - gosh - I evacuated once and didn't get creamed. Which > "I overreacted". No - you didn't overreact. You did the right thing. But it will be extremely difficult to convince people like you to do it again. Since you've never been a storm victim - you figure it's a useless exercise. I can assure you it isn't. The only thing worse than evacuating and not being hit by a hurricane is being hit by a hurricane (whether or not you've evacuated and especially if you haven't).

Quote:
* It can get hot - but you'll never see snow.
Florida has had snow - but it's extremely rare. It certainly isn't on my radar screen as a negative . OTOH - the heat/humidity are very real. And they affect different people in different ways. There are also matters of preference. I dislike cold more than heat - and my BIL who lives in Michigan is the exact opposite. There are other things about the physical environment. For example - many parts of Florida (like ours) have bad pollen seasons. Can be a problem for people with allergies.

I hang around the Retirement Forum a lot. And we discuss Florida all the time. It's neither heaven on earth - nor Dante's Inferno. It's in between - and the pluses and minuses will add up in different ways for different people. If someone is not retired - jobs are of course a very important consideration - and it's impossible to generalize about many different kinds of jobs in a state as large as ours. Robyn

Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,812,410 times
Quote:
Wow The b8nk, feeling a little miserable? Couldn't score some prescription pills today so now you're here trolling on CDF?

Strike one - not a realtor.
Strike two - no agenda other than showing that life here in FL is good through our picture blog. Sorry if you dont like it, ever done anything creative yourself? The 500 daily pageviews from people around the world looking to come to FL says some people do. No ads either so I MUST be a realtor! Lol.
Strike three - your troll like, crappy and uninformative responses like the one above.

How bout this. Come up with a reason why anyone here should pay any attention to your idiotic comments and get back with me.

Take care.
I swear, 8to32characters and The b8nk should have pity party for each other about how they couldn't hack it in FL.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,426,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2pa View Post
We would certainly like to be relatively close to the beach(10-15 minutes drive) and in a safe neighborhood.
There are no 10-15 minute drives from the beach, even if you live at the beach......

Sometimes it can take you longer than that to drive around the block, looking for a parking space to rent.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I just spent a nice weekday afternoon visiting Clearwater Beach.
It was great, nothing to complain about. Gulf water temps warmer than I expected. Bikini weather!

There is always a lot of beach traffic, so just allow time for it.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,812,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
There are no 10-15 minute drives from the beach, even if you live at the beach......

Sometimes it can take you longer than that to drive around the block, looking for a parking space to rent.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I just spent a nice weekday afternoon visiting Clearwater Beach.
It was great, nothing to complain about. Gulf water temps warmer than I expected. Bikini weather!

There is always a lot of beach traffic, so just allow time for it.
east coast beaches are quieter, outside of south FL.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,219,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I swear, 8to32characters and The b8nk should have pity party for each other about how they couldn't hack it in FL.
Certainly a pair of losers!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:00 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,001,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
east coast beaches are quieter, outside of south FL.
Not to mention plenty of free parking. I've never had the slightest problem getting to the beach quickly. The only thing i've ever waited for is a line at the foot shower on the way out...

Old 06-22-2014, 08:16 PM

153 posts, read 305,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Is your townhome a condo? If so - most of the property insurance is being paid by your association (and you in your association fees). Also - when it comes to windstorm insurance - deductibles can be pretty high.
Well said Robyn.

Sorry but we have been busy lately with our move. To answer the original question we are considered to be a townhouse. Yes, part of our insurance is picked up by our HOA dues but we are not considered to be in a condo.

Our yearly HOA dues of $2,520 ($210 monthly) cover everything on the exterior and the amenities (lawn service, landscaping, pest control, painting, roof replacement, common areas, community pool, playground, clubhouse and our gate) and the insurance on the exterior. Our portion of the insurance (@ $550 yearly w/ a $1,000 deductible) covers the interior building, replacement cost of furnishings and the rebuilding of the unit.

I agree that hurricane and storm preparation is very important and should never be taken lightly. IMHO though, once a solid plan is in place you may never have to use it for years or even decades, and if you do you will see the storm coming for a week or two in advance.

Personally, planning for a hurricane seems like a joke when compared to what those poor people are having to go through in the midwest with the twisters. To me theres no comparison in having to put up storm shutters, plan a route and replenish my E-Pass account every few years during a hurricane evacuation vs having your family, home and community wiped off the map with only a two minute tornado warning. I'll take planning for a hurricane any day over a tornado.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 16,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Florida is not anywhere near what it was 30,25,15, 10, or even 5 years ago. There isn't any area of the country that has not evolved/changed with the passage of time. It is just that Florida has probably grown exponentially in so many diverse directions (some very positive and some equally/more negative). Those expounding the fact that 15 years ago that they were able to secure 3 job offers before taking the best offer are living in an economic yesteryear. This is just not today's reality. For example, in as little as 5 years ago, many Florida public schools were not only advertising and recruiting at PA colleges, potential teachers were literally being offered teacher contracts over the phone. Any idea how bad the market is for quality teaching candidates in Florida today?

Personally, I believe that some of the best advice given to me, when I was contemplating my move to Florida about 10 years ago, still holds true today. They said to never plan a move to Florida without some level of significant savings to bankroll us through the expensive transition. Never assume that Florida is/will be your personal "Disney World", where every day is a day in paradise, as most Florida residents (that are not wealthy/retired relocaters) have to work, and sometimes that work is unlike (harder. less secure, under-compensated) than ever anticipated. As another example as to how dire certain aspects are in the Florida economy- virtually any/all school districts in the state are dealing with families living in extreme poverty with over 50 percent of their students qualifying for free/reduced lunches.

The OP is literally in a "catch 22" situation, whereas he will probably need to already reside in Florida to be considered in a heavily competitive job market, or will need a job (or significant bankroll) before he can move to Florida. If the OP is true to his word, he should be exploring the shrinking job market for architects nationwide, with the primary consideration(s) being based on the region's career opportunities first, as opposed to, hoping to find the best job opportunity in the sunshine.
Florida Vince wrote what I was thinking when reading your posts. By the way, how do people survive without meeting you and getting your profound wisdom on everything in life. Your a dime a dozen and a bore.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 6,543,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCan'tGoHomeAgain View Post
Florida is a difficult state to survive, much less thrive. It's not like living at Disneyland! You want to be near the beach? Check out your evacuation zone before you make the plunge. (If you don't know what "evacuation zone" means, then you need to do more research.) Note: evacuation zone does not equal flood zone. You can be in one and not the other or you can be in both of them. Insurance rates are skyrocketing. Do you know what Citizen's Insurance is for? If not, google it. It may be your only choice. Also, Florida isn't exactly known for high salaries. Be prepared to be paid less in Florida than in Ohio. And you say that you want a safe neighborhood. Be prepared to pony up plenty of money for it because the crime rates in Florida are very high. Homeless people and panhandlers abound. Get used to them because they're not going away (many of them hopped a bus from the North last winter to get away from the cold and ended up in Florida). There are good things about Florida. But even if it is the Sunshine State (it has two seasons: extremely hot and hot), there is more to life than sunshine. What about the nice small communities around you? Do you really want to spend thousands moving to Florida and then more thousands to move back to Ohio? That's a lot of money, it seems to me. Have your "Florida adventure" if you like. But just go into it with your eyes wide open or you're likely to run into some nasty surprises.
Uhhhh........
Okay, maybe I got lucky?
I've had no issues with low salaries (neither has my wife) and very few encounters with crime. Heck, I witnessed MUCH more criminal activity and muggings in Montreal where I grew up, and we all know how safe Canada is, right?
If you're just looking at statistics, be aware that the high crime rates are normally limited to small pockets of isolation within the cities -- parts where one should have no business going unless involved with drugs or hookers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or