U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,748 times

Advertisements

Can someone shed some light on how to go about finding information on wether or not a Pastor is legally licensed to perform Marriage Ceremonies and such? About a year ago my daughter was to be married and at the last moment, the day of the wedding actually, the person who was scheduled to do the ceremony backed out for an unexplained reason! The wedding and reception was being held on our farm here and we had 200 people on the lawn so its on to plan B. We got a "Pastor" from a Church supposedly 30 minutes away who lived in our area to agree to do the ceremony he did stumble a few times while reading the vows and I realize that weddings arent performed everyday but if you say that you have performed over 500 of these ceremonies you should have it down, or at least I would think so! Fast forward nearly a year later and it is slowly coming to light that this person who performed the ceremony is not every thing that he claims to be however even though he offers no proof he still maintains that he is a legally ordained minister and properly licensed to perform such ceremonies! My question is this how do I check on his credentials and ascertain that he is in fact what he claims to be and in the event that he is not what must we do to correct the situation other than another wedding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM

4,229 posts, read 5,691,357 times
I'd call the Clerk of Circuit Court of your county. Here's a PDF from the state;

http://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uplo...ry/q_and_a.pdf

Old 03-29-2014, 11:15 AM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
I do believe that you need to contact Tallahassee and ask for the board of professionals and they should be able to tell you ...However you can also contact the govenors office and ask them where you should turn . I hope your daughter is legally married this happened to a friend of mine a while back and we found out she was not even legally married her mother got suspicious and so she started putting two and two together this guy is now in jail the guy who claimed to be a minister ...I wish you luck please don't hesitate to ask me for any more help I don't live in florida anymore but did live there for 18 yrs ...Good luck and God bless.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,290,646 times
Wow, this could be quite a mess. I'm assuming the young couple took out a marriage license as they were supposed to. The person performing the ceremony then has to return that license to the court to be recorded .

Click on the link. It will give you info on where you can look up to see if the license has been recorded to make the marriage official. If you can't find it, then they better get married again and have it recorded
properly.

State of Florida.com - Florida Marriage Guide

Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,748 times
Thanks for the replies I am dilligently working to ascertain his credentials but it is really becoming a daunting task and I will call the State Division of Licensing in the morning to get the answers I seek!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:35 AM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade_Tree View Post
Thanks for the replies I am dilligently working to ascertain his credentials but it is really becoming a daunting task and I will call the State Division of Licensing in the morning to get the answers I seek!
Please come back and let us all know how it turned out ....

Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
The State doesn't really care about a minister's credentials, and considered ordination in the Universal Life Church (ie. click a link online) to be sufficient for the "All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy" requirement in the state constitution because it's not going to get into the hornet's nest of whether a church or minister is legit, whatever that means. Call Tallahassee to reassure yourself, but as long as the pastor met the relatively low Universal Life threshold and all paperwork is turned in correctly afterward, you should be just fine.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,430,433 times
Any boatowner, as captain of his vessel, can perform the remarriage; therefore, I suggest you all go fishing together!

Seriously, this could have been prevented by cultivating a relationship with a local church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida