Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:00 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,640 times

Advertisements

If school populations are an indication = enrollment in our county has dropped two years in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Here in our county, school enrollment is booming - an article in our paper said last summer that while some counties are losing school enrollment ours is growing exponentially. They have a huge budge to build new schools.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
If school populations are an indication = enrollment in our county has dropped two years in a row.
Aging population. Depending on what county you are talking about. Most of the urban counties have been becoming more "empty nester".

Old 12-08-2007, 05:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Remember, Miami was super expeensive in 1925 and what happened a few years later? A worldwide economic downturn could cut off the flow of capital through Miami. If Miami fails, the rest of Florida will return to its senses.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:20 AM

711 posts, read 1,855,996 times
Florida, like California, has mandatory "smart growth" in place. Get rid of that if you want affordable housing. Otherwise, expect FL to be more and more like CA: lots and lots of land and nowhere to build means outrageous housing prices.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Florida, like California, has mandatory "smart growth" in place. Get rid of that if you want affordable housing. Otherwise, expect FL to be more and more like CA: lots and lots of land and nowhere to build means outrageous housing prices.
Right, and let Florida get taken over by even more subdivisions.

Affordable housing starts with offering a variety of housing that is located near employment. That is something that started in Florida only in the last couple of years. Detached single family houses tend to price certain groups out of the market.

California, like Florida, is not constrained by land, it is constrained by the shortage of water and the fact they cannot build enough roads to manage all the people that would want to drive on the roads. You cannot grow yourself out of the problems with affordable housing in Florida.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 AM

711 posts, read 1,855,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Right, and let Florida get taken over by even more subdivisions.
Less than 5% of Florida is covered by development. Florida is in no danger of being overrun.
Quote:
Affordable housing starts with offering a variety of housing that is located near employment. That is something that started in Florida only in the last couple of years. Detached single family houses tend to price certain groups out of the market.
"Near employment" is a meaningless term, since employers are located in many different places, just like housing is. There is no shortage of condos and apartments for people who can't afford to live in a single family home.
Quote:
California, like Florida, is not constrained by land, it is constrained by the shortage of water and the fact they cannot build enough roads to manage all the people that would want to drive on the roads. You cannot grow yourself out of the problems with affordable housing in Florida.
Can't build enough? More like won't build enough. Look at Houston if you want to see a place that grew a lot and kept housing affordable. How is it that a place as wet as Florida has a water shortage?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Remember, Miami was super expeensive in 1925 and what happened a few years later? A worldwide economic downturn could cut off the flow of capital through Miami. WHEN Miami fails, the rest of Florida will return to its senses.
fixed that for you bro

Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,163 times
Default You don't know how good you have it there

I guess it's all relative... My hubby has a friend who lives in Tampa and complains that his property tax and HOI are too expensive. While I agree that the HOI is expensive, his taxes are a pittance at $1700. We live in Pa and our taxes are $7200 we have a house that's about 2300 sq ft on a 1/3 an acre. That's nothing. I have family that lives in central Jersey and for a house the same size of mine but a lot less than half the size their taxes are $15,000! Can you imagine?? I thought our taxes were bad. I guess it's just relative to where you live, while I think $1700 is just fine for me I can't imagine paying $15,000.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
I guess it's all relative... My hubby has a friend who lives in Tampa and complains that his property tax and HOI are too expensive. While I agree that the HOI is expensive, his taxes are a pittance at $1700. We live in Pa and our taxes are $7200 we have a house that's about 2300 sq ft on a 1/3 an acre. That's nothing. I have family that lives in central Jersey and for a house the same size of mine but a lot less than half the size their taxes are $15,000! Can you imagine?? I thought our taxes were bad. I guess it's just relative to where you live, while I think $1700 is just fine for me I can't imagine paying $15,000.
They must have SOH's because otherwise to have a $1700.00 tax bill they would have to be living in a trailer or a shack worth like $80,000. $1700.00 is not a real example of Florida taxes. My neighbor pays $14,000. I have SOH's so I pay much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida