U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 PM

549 posts, read 385,794 times

Advertisements

Well, Person of Color is not a disability.
So my question stays: isn’t a decent life in North Dakota better than miserable existence in section 8 housing in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 04:46 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,805,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Baysson,
Since you are moving your family anyway, have ever considered a shorter drive to North Dakota, where the unemployment is under 3%. Even if driving is the only thing you can do, truck drivers earn there well over 80K.
Good advice

Old 04-12-2014, 10:57 AM

9,684 posts, read 6,974,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Why do libs throw these words around like they are conjunctions, lol
It's how they categorize any point of view that they don't agree with....

And they're never more than a few seconds away from flinging those words at anyone who they think has stepped off the politically correct wagon train.....

Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
People are already poor in FL, just look at some of the beaters driving around here daily, Im sure youll fit right in...

And that includes folks who are trying to make their way, hold down more than one job, and struggling to pay their own bills.

As for those who migrate to Florida with Section 8 vouchers, disability pay, and Medicaid cards in hand, I've seen any number of those folks who find after a year or so, that they can't make it financially in Florida, and decide to return to the states they came from. As I've been told, some of those folks are surprised that their entitlement payments ( whatever they may be) are less in Florida than they were where they came from, and are not enough to cover their living expenses.

To the OP's who have pulled out their victim cards in reaction to some of the comments on this thread,
I don't believe there are too many folks out there who would deny someone who has fallen on hard times through no fault of his/her own, and who truly needs a hand up, whatever aid that person needs, be it short or long term disability, food stamps, Medicaid, whatever other entitlements are out there. Most of us, regardless of our political perspectives, have been raised to believe we should help our fellow man truly in need any way we can. And for someone whose injuries or illnesses make them truly unable to work, or even function in society, well, I think most of us believe they should get whatever help they can to allow them to function as well as they can. And for others who use those entitlements as a short term "leg-up" to get back on their feet after a job loss, injury, or whatever vicissitudes life has to offer, well, I'd bet that most of us would be happy those entitlements are out there to be used in this way.

But.... there are those, and most of us have seen too many of them, abuse those entitlements, claiming disabilities that for some reason make them unable to work, but somehow make them still able to play sports, do household chores, ride motocycles and horses, in general, anything someone free of disabilities could do. Some of these folks continue to collect the disability checks for years, and milk the entitlement system for everything they can get- and somehow manage to spring for new cars, trips, designer clothing, I-phones, electronics, generally spending money I'm sure they don't have ( or perhaps it's stashed with the wages some of them get from their under the counter jobs) on things that people like me and my family wouldn't spend our hard earned money, believing we don't need them. And don't even get me started on the abuse of food stamps that's rampant around the country.....or the folks ( some, not all, I know) coming into the country who see the entitlement programs as a "why not me too" bandwagon....

Common sense would tell you that the often in-your face gaming of the entitlement system by not just a few "disabled" folks is what gets on the last nerve of the taxpayer who funds all these programs. And that, friends, is what they're reacting to in the snarky comments regarding those who use those programs. Admittedly, some of those comments may be aimed at an individual who's severely and truly disabled or in need in some other way, but one can't always tell an individual's status from a post on a message board, or even in real life until one sees the person in action.

I figure that developing a thick skin in regards to the comments of others- especially folks you don't know- is a wise way to handle this kind of criticism/snark or whatever you want to call it. I figure those comments are in the "if the shoe fits" category, and for those receiving entitlements benefits, you know who you are, and if you're abusing the benefits or not.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,130 times
First, this was never supposed to be a thread to discuss our socio-political-economic standing, it was simply an attempt to get advice to help us on our move. So to all of those who took offense at our being insulted by irrelavent comments...sorry for ya!

Second, what my disability is was never mentioned, and is, quite frankly, none of your business. You only need to know that both of us have at least one! In fact, for the purpose of this thread, you really didn't even need to know THAT, but the knowledge could have been useful.....to those actually intent on helping us! So we appreciate the thought, but even in a state with 3% unemployment, it would not be feasible for our family.

Third,
Quote:
Well, Person of Color is not a disability.
Sigh, yeah I haven't quite figured out how to do that "Originally posted by..." thing yet. But anyway, try living life as one....in fact maybe just a month would do....then get back to me on that! Just because someone has learned to overcome and/or cope with a disability (of ANY kind) doesn't mean it no longer exists! If you can't see yourself living in the shoes of someone else, you have no right to judge or comment on someone else! But that is a discussion for different thread....in a different forum.

Lastly, for those who responded with advice they thought was TRULY going to help us, without judging us, we TRULY appreciate it! So again, thanks for the responses. Have a good life!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysson View Post
First, this was never supposed to be a thread to discuss our socio-political-economic standing, it was simply an attempt to get advice to help us on our move. So to all of those who took offense at our being insulted by irrelavent comments...sorry for ya!

Second, what my disability is was never mentioned, and is, quite frankly, none of your business. You only need to know that both of us have at least one! In fact, for the purpose of this thread, you really didn't even need to know THAT, but the knowledge could have been useful.....to those actually intent on helping us! So we appreciate the thought, but even in a state with 3% unemployment, it would not be feasible for our family.

Third,
Sigh, yeah I haven't quite figured out how to do that "Originally posted by..." thing yet. But anyway, try living life as one....in fact maybe just a month would do....then get back to me on that! Just because someone has learned to overcome and/or cope with a disability (of ANY kind) doesn't mean it no longer exists! If you can't see yourself living in the shoes of someone else, you have no right to judge or comment on someone else! But that is a discussion for different thread....in a different forum.

Lastly, for those who responded with advice they thought was TRULY going to help us, without judging us, we TRULY appreciate it! So again, thanks for the responses. Have a good life!
Then you obviously came to the wrong place for advice. The common sense move would have been to contact the housing authority in the county you were interested in moving to. With a section 8 voucher in hand, no need to get on a years-long housing assistance list, all you need to know is what is available in or around Gainesville and what you do to secure that housing. A public forum can only inform you, basically, of what I just said.

You should also consider your finances relative to the assistance you will get in Florida. Whether this would apply to you, I don't know, or care, but I have known a number of people who moved from the northeast or midwest to Florida, found their entitlement payments ( disability, unemployment?) lowered significantly once they settled in Florida. They determined they couldn't survive on those benefits in Florida and moved back to where they came from.

As for judging you, other than wondering why you would request section 8 housing information on a public forum, there was really nothing to judge. Where you lost me, though, was when you pulled out
your "Victim Card" and backed it up with your "Race Card" in response to the posts you didn't like. That's your business, and all I can suggest is that if you are that thin-skinned, you'd be better off just getting your advice from official sites.....

Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,212,782 times
The usual holier than thou folks have shown up again with their lack of knowledge and utterly hateful remarks. First of all, for the OP here is a short list of availability of housing available under section 8 Section 8 housing and apartments for rent in Gainesville Alachua, Florida You may also get the information you require from Gainesville Housing Authority

Secondly, social security payments to disabled people are made through an insurance program which all working people pay into. It is not a freebie. The amount disability payment is based on prior earnings. Higher wage earners get a higher disability payment. Section 8 is also not a free ride. It is based on income.

I hope none of the pompous jerks who posted disparaging comments in this thread never suffer an injury or illness that leads to disability but it would certainly be an eye opening experience for them.

Instead of knocking down someone who is trying to make an effort to change their living situation try to have some compassion for those who may have less opportunity in their lives than you do.

The idea of this board is to help others and not to judge their desires. Nobody who posts an inquiry here ever gets a straight answer but plenty of misguided opinion from the usual bunch of trash talkers.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
People are already poor in FL, just look at some of the beaters driving around here daily, Im sure youll fit right in...
People are poor throughout the nation. In the richest states and cities are the poor and improvished. Those who want to be in a more tolerable situation need to be free to make choices on where to live regardless of their income, disability, race, religion or economic standing. It is not for you or anyone else to judge.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The usual holier than thou folks have shown up again with their lack of knowledge and utterly hateful remarks. First of all, for the OP here is a short list of availability of housing available under section 8 Section 8 housing and apartments for rent in Gainesville Alachua, Florida You may also get the information you require from Gainesville Housing Authority

Secondly, social security payments to disabled people are made through an insurance program which all working people pay into. It is not a freebie. The amount disability payment is based on prior earnings. Higher wage earners get a higher disability payment. Section 8 is also not a free ride. It is based on income.

I hope none of the pompous jerks who posted disparaging comments in this thread never suffer an injury or illness that leads to disability but it would certainly be an eye opening experience for them.

Instead of knocking down someone who is trying to make an effort to change their living situation try to have some compassion for those who may have less opportunity in their lives than you do.

The idea of this board is to help others and not to judge their desires. Nobody who posts an inquiry here ever gets a straight answer but plenty of misguided opinion from the usual bunch of trash talkers.

Yes, it's working folks who pay into the social security system, and some of them may get SSD based on a disability and their income. There is also SSI, which involves payments to people who never paid into social security, including many who never paid one dime into any system. If that isn't a free ride I don't know what is. I'm not arguing that there are people out there who truly need this assistance, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that they, or those who get their entitlements by gaming the system fraudulantly are getting what they "earned", at least with SSI.

Section 8 housing subsidies indeed are based on income- that income can be SSI or other disability payments, so no, it's not always earned income... the folks I know pay $30 monthly to rent one or two bedroom apartments which rent normally at $600-700 monthly. And that section 8 allowance is based on their disability income ( SSI, as I know these folks didn't work long enough to qualify for SS).

And while you're so busy up there on your high horse there calling the kettle black, just how IS it that you know none of the folks who post here are not disabled, or have suffered disabling illnesses or injuries? Just because they don't complain about it, or present themselves as victims on a public forum?

Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 PM

SSI requires disability. It is not a free ride. You are correct, in Section 8 the tennant pays only up to 30% or their income, regardless of the source of income. Fraud exists on all levels in life, like cheating on taxes. Most people are honest on their taxes and most people are not faking their disabilities. Contrary to popular belief, living off the dole is, for most people, not a very decent lifestyle.

People who understand the situations that the disabled deal with on a daily basis don't shoot arrows at those who do.

Now, as for your attack upon me, it makes no sense though you felt that you had to make a series of nonsense. I didn't see the OP or anyone else complaining about anything. I did not see them mention any disability but only that they are currently entitled to Section 8 housing. The respondents are the ones who added their assumptions. I didnt see how the OP is presenting themselves are victims. These observations were invented by mindless individuals. I used to have a tag line that recommended people read other posters previous comments. Previous postings show the demeanor and credibility of the poster. Read yours someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yes, it's working folks who pay into the social security system, and some of them may get SSD based on a disability and their income. There is also SSI, which involves payments to people who never paid into social security, including many who never paid one dime into any system. If that isn't a free ride I don't know what is. I'm not arguing that there are people out there who truly need this assistance, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that they, or those who get their entitlements by gaming the system fraudulantly are getting what they "earned", at least with SSI.

Section 8 housing subsidies indeed are based on income- that income can be SSI or other disability payments, so no, it's not always earned income... the folks I know pay $30 monthly to rent one or two bedroom apartments which rent normally at $600-700 monthly. And that section 8 allowance is based on their disability income ( SSI, as I know these folks didn't work long enough to qualify for SS).

And while you're so busy up there on your high horse there calling the kettle black, just how IS it that you know none of the folks who post here are not disabled, or have suffered disabling illnesses or injuries? Just because they don't complain about it, or present themselves as victims on a public forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or