Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, don't get whiplash patting your self on the back for that response. It's typical middle school attack mode.......says more about the author than the person to which it's directed, and that isn't complimentary.......
But then, no one's entitled to any opinions or beliefs that you don't approve of, eh?

Couldn't the same be said about you? You sound very intolerant of anyone who doesn't agree with your views.

Maybe the OP put in the ad that they were "liberals" because they knew they wouldn't "gel" with people who were right wing and figured what's the point of trying to make friends with people who don't share their viewpoints.

No point in two couples going out to dinner and ending up in a huge fight over say Obama or immigration issues, when the idea was to have a pleasant evening.

Some people can maintain wonderful friendships despite having different political views, the smart ones stay off that subject, other's cannot do that. In that case it is better if someone is interested in making new friends to find people with similar likes and interests.

If a couple is looking to make friends and is having a hard time due to the fact they seem to run across people who are too "right wing" to their liking, if you're going to run an add better you state up front that your views tend to be more liberal.

It's really no different than someone running a personal ad and saying they're looking for say blondes, no point in attracting brunettes. Better to state that in the ad instead of wasting everyone's time and energy.

JMO, I find it kind of odd and perhaps even a little dangerous(especially in FL) to meet people over Craigslist, the OP should look into Meetup groups that interest them. They like jazz, look for a group like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 12:00 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Couldn't the same be said about you? You sound very intolerant of anyone who doesn't agree with your views.

Maybe the OP put in the ad that they were "liberals" because they knew they wouldn't "gel" with people who were right wing and figured what's the point of trying to make friends with people who don't share their viewpoints.

No point in two couples going out to dinner and ending up in a huge fight over say Obama or immigration issues, when the idea was to have a pleasant evening.

Some people can maintain wonderful friendships despite having different political views, the smart ones stay off that subject, other's cannot do that. In that case it is better if someone is interested in making new friends to find people with similar likes and interests.

If a couple is looking to make friends and is having a hard time due to the fact they seem to run across people who are too "right wing" to their liking, if you're going to run an add better you state up front that your views tend to be more liberal.

It's really no different than someone running a personal ad and saying they're looking for say blondes, no point in attracting brunettes. Better to state that in the ad instead of wasting everyone's time and energy.

JMO, I find it kind of odd and perhaps even a little dangerous(especially in FL) to meet people over Craigslist, the OP should look into Meetup groups that interest them. They like jazz, look for a group like that.
LOL, Craig's list is the LAST place I'd look for if I were looking to meet new people, seems to me that's plain common sense. But from the OP's comments, it would seem that he was looking for the type of response he got, and would have been disappointed if he hadn't gotten something like that he could bring to a forum for yet another "Florida-bashing" session with his liberal buds. JMO, of course, but that's what it seemed to me.

You're kind of preaching to the choir in your comments about friends and differing political perspectives, although I tend towards the conservative ( I don't embrace the entire package, however, so perhaps its more middle of the road), I've got a number of old friends who are about as liberal as they come, and basically, we've agreed to disagree about many issues, and leave it at that. And beyond that is a basic consideration we all have that others are entitled to their beliefs and opinions, even if we don't agree with all of them.

While as a long time Floridian, I can agree that Florida has its share of warts. But from looking around, I'd question whether Florida overall is any worse than anywhere else these days. As for Craig's List, I just looked it up to be sure, but it seemed to me that the Craig's List killer hailed from Pennsylvania. And the scams on there? Those are global these days!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Lots of people in Florida are shady, deviant, creepy, or just plain bizarre--more so than most places in the US--so I agree that it would be rather dangerous to meet people on Craigslist down there.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And Volusia County (as well as much of Florida) is full of 25K per year earning, mouth-breathing Tea Bag conservatives. Your point being?
at least they own land and work...

Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Lots of people in Florida are shady, deviant, creepy, or just plain bizarre--more so than most places in the US--so I agree that it would be rather dangerous to meet people on Craigslist down there.
Actually, most of those people you're talking about in Florida come from other places in the US- or from other countries......

Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually, most of those people you're talking about in Florida come from other places in the US- or from other countries......
Yes, that's true. However, they all seem to end up in a collective region known to man as "Florida."

Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I hear a fairly equal amount of mind-numbing statements from the natives here. Interestingly enough, there tends to be some widespread commonalities:
  • Always blame somebody else.
  • Reveling in fundamental ignorance.
  • When in doubt, shout louder and resort to using excessive vulgarity and/or threatening statements.
Considering that 74% of Florida residents are from somewhere else, I'm sure that most of your "natives" are indeed from somewhere else.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 PM

511 posts, read 491,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Since Mike was kind enough to reply to our ad, I decided to send him the following email through craigslist, which hopefully (please, please) cloaks your real email address. I hope he takes it in the proper spirit.....all bloody seriousness w/ a dash of sarcasm. He sounds like a guy w/ a good sense of humor, right?

"Mike,
Hello. How's it going? Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule of attending Klan meetings and selling subscriptions to Soldier of Fortune on the telephone. I know someone of your obvious good upbringing and high intelligence is always busy with social activities and the like. Unfortunately, you do not quite fit our needs for buddies, but I think the NRA, NASCAR, Jesus For Fascists and the like would be a MUCH better fit for you.

Now tell me the truth you old rascal, you're off your meds again, aren't you? I know that Thorazine is a tough one, but you really should consider your doctor's advice. Wishing you and your family all the best, and if I get up to that tree that they all live in any time soon, I will tell them hello myself.
Peace,
Liberals Against Stupidity."

By the by, I do own a gun (but think the NRA is totally nutso), and I do enjoy NASCAR. Give me a beer and a NASCAR race on a sunny afternoon, in 10 minutes I'm sound asleep on the couch in the Florida room. Better than a sleeping pill. I also have no trouble with real Christians, and as soon as I meet one I will be happy to talk to them. Joke people, joke! No hate mail, I got enough problems with Mike already. Life is absurd and all too short. Have a little fun with it.

I wonder if I should have told him we're an interracial couple w/ a couple of relatives that are gay (true). He'd probably be happy to hear that.

Wow...aren't we all self-important!!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
This country just has way too much racial tension.
Maybe that's because the United States is the most racially diverse country in the world, and not by just a little, but by alot. And the nature of people of all races, being the human beings that they are, have an almost instinctive tendency to stick with the people they are most comfortable with, or, in other words, "their own kind". A country that has very little racial diversity will also have very little racial tension.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 PM

242 posts, read 346,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Maybe that's because the United States is the most racially diverse country in the world, and not by just a little, but by alot. And the nature of people of all races, being the human beings that they are, have an almost instinctive tendency to stick with the people they are most comfortable with, or, in other words, "their own kind". A country that has very little racial diversity will also have very little racial tension.
Very true. I've traveled to 25+ countries where there is little to no diversity or mass immigration and everyone is on the same page, the same level or most people grew up where they were born and I saw way less aggression. We have a lot of tension in this country and I blame it on extreme diversity and extreme immigration and even migration. People want to live in harmony and be around their own kind if you will. It's just gonna get worse. I blame Carter, Clinton and now Obama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida