U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 PM

21,079 posts, read 30,111,369 times

Advertisements

Who cares about cultural feel? Pretty much any large city in the South is going to offer enough diversity to suit most anyone. It's 2014, one should be worrying about finding a job (more specifically a well-paying job) and living in a city where one can live comfortably on said salary. Florida has largely proven there isn't that much opportunity for those seeking professional level jobs due to the number available versus demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,183,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Who cares about cultural feel? Pretty much any large city in the South is going to offer enough diversity to suit most anyone. It's 2014, one should be worrying about finding a job (more specifically a well-paying job) and living in a city where one can live comfortably on said salary. Florida has largely proven there isn't that much opportunity for those seeking professional level jobs due to the number available versus demand.
There is certainly more demand for professional employment than there are jobs available.
I agree on the diversity within.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,192,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Even though FL is just "okay," according to other posters on here, I'd still prioritize it over Texas or the Carolinas simply because the culture is just too southern for people coming from the northeast or Midwest. Too much church, conservatism, family focus, country music and all that stuff. Not to offend anyone, but it's just not my flavor of life.
That completely depends. I live in Central FL, in an area where church is big, family is big, and ppl are pretty conservative.

There are a lot of areas in TX and the Carolina's where it's much less so. Northern FL is much different than South FL.

Move to South FL, nep321. I see you're in CT. You would like most of South FL.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:39 PM

790 posts, read 1,002,155 times
Quote:

From my experience

So you are a Subject Matter Expert on places you have "visited" but never lived? Mine as well stay in CT, you seem to know more about TX and FL from up there than if you actually moved here

Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,034,271 times
Quote:
Cultural feel is important to many people. It's human nature to want to fit in and see relatable people like yourself (in addition to different types of people), with similar mentalities.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 AM

21,079 posts, read 30,111,369 times
Quote:
Cultural feel is important to many people. It's human nature to want to fit in and see relatable people like yourself (in addition to different types of people), with similar mentalities.
Of course it's important but the point is making it paramount probably isn't the best idea currently in terms of job markets.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,034,271 times
Quote:
Of course it's important but the point is making it paramount probably isn't the best idea currently in terms of job markets.
Well that depends on each person's situation. For me, I'm a corporate tax accountant and those jobs are almost EVERYWHERE all over the country. I have a master's degree and almost 7 years of experience, which helps. So I think I can be a little picky.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:33 AM

790 posts, read 1,002,155 times
Quote:
Well that depends on each person's situation. For me, I'm a corporate tax accountant and those jobs are almost EVERYWHERE all over the country. I have a master's degree and almost 7 years of experience, which helps. So I think I can be a little picky.

well la dee daa!!!! arent you special

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,809,913 times
Quote:
Who cares about cultural feel?
Really? I'm not saying jobs and salary are more important, but there are a lot of people who care about the culture of an area. That's probably one of the main things people look at when choosing areas.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,030,923 times
Quote:
I know FL very well. I've been going down there for the past 20+ years. I have family in Pinellas County, my parents have had a few beach houses in Ormond Beach, and I have friends in Orlando and Melbourne. I've been to every single metro area in FL except for Ocala and Naples. So I know the state very well.

From my experience, southern culture is actually very prevalent in FL, especially in the panhandle, although Tallahassee is an exception. Lakeland and Gainesville areas are also quite southern feeling, too.

But in Texas, the country culture is infused even in the large metro areas. Perhaps someone who grew up in Texas wouldn't notice it, but a New Englander can smell it from a mile away.
I'll do you one better.

My grandparents bought their Sandalfoot Cove condo--which was brand new a at the time, mind you--in the late 70's, and my uncle and his family moved to Naples in early 80's, so I've been traveling to Florida for 30+ years.

I also lived in Florida from '95-'07.

From my perspective, no, you know nothing about Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or