Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:04 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yes, more public indoor ranges would be good. That would allow gun owners to keep their skill honed.
I wouldnt want to be the guy with a back yard range when a shot goes into the neighbors yard and kills someone tending their garden. That is why there isnt an explosion of back yard ranges. The law is more of a protector of rights than it is an invitation to allow people to be stupid.
I agree and that is exactly my point. The benefit of the law is that it reinforces the constitutional right of the state to make laws that can't be rewritten by local governments. The danger of the law is that it leaves open the legality of people choosing to exercise their right but in a clearly stupid circumstance. I'm not saying that everyone who shoots in their back yard is stupid. In fact, no gun owner I've ever met would ever consider shooting in such an irresponsible way but there are, without question, people who would look at this situation and, stupidly, choose to do it anyway because they have a legal right. I'm not sure what the answer is--I don't want to erode rights--but I'm pretty sure that, as it stands, it is inadequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Think. How practical would it be for someone in a residential neighborhood to have a shooting gallery in the back yard? Keeping within the requirements of the law would be nearly impossible. The point of the law is to tell local governments not to mess with the right for FL citizens to own guns. The law is not intended to be used the way you interpret it.
There is already a guy on Big Pine Key who has turned his backyard into a shooting gallery and his neighbors can't do anything to stop him.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
It, like many other Florida laws is idiotic. Someone has already been killed. You should not have to live in a deed restricted community to avoid being hit during some yahoo's gun practice. It seems that you could complain based on the noise, but the law is so restrictive--I do not know if the cops are even allowed to interfere. Now that other yahoos are aware of the law, the backyard gun ranges are springing up all over. The governor could not care less, of course. Jeez--aren't people even worried about letting their kids play in the backyard? There is a lot of outrage over this spreading, so hopefully sanity will prevail. Either that, or a wrongful death lawsuit might make backyard gun nuts think twice.

Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State' | Reuters

Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
All you need to do is read the first few paragraphs of this article.

Fla. law allows backyard shooting ranges | HeraldTribune.com

Why in the world would he have a shooting range where someone has to give an "all clear" over a waterway? Can you say "stupid"? The state is so worried about protecting the gun owners rights but they aren't protecting the rest of us from their stupidity. That's what's wrong with the law.

Last edited by macrodome2; 04-18-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Yes, more public indoor ranges would be good. That would allow gun owners to keep their skill honed.
I wouldnt want to be the guy with a back yard range when a shot goes into the neighbors yard and kills someone tending their garden. That is why there isnt an explosion of back yard ranges. The law is more of a protector of rights than it is an invitation to allow people to be stupid.
Just how many would you think are needed? Florida has quite a few already and only 25% of the population own guns, which places it at number 41 among the states. (just above California)

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Just how many would you think are needed? Florida has quite a few already and only 25% of the population own guns, which places it at number 41 among the states. (just above California)
I dont know, maybe triple the amount.

Profitable business. Provides a good service. Keeps people sharp on their skills.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
May be a bunch of crap, but it has been the law of this land for over 25 years.

Have you heard of it before the 2011 changes? How long after the 2011 change did you even become aware of the law?

How many times have you heard of someone getting killed by a round fired from a back yard range?

The case where a guy was shot in Volusia County revealed that it was not a back yard range that the shot was fired from.

I've lived in FL since 88. I have never once heard shots being fired at a back yard range.

How many people have you heard about that have been shot/killed due to back yard range?

People should be more concerned with how many have been killed by drug dealer and thugs in FL in since 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
What a bunch of crap!

I own guns so I don't think I fall in the "guns are yucky" crowd. Shooting guns in a residential area should not be allowed unless you are defending yourself...PERIOD. Besides the obvious safety concerns there are quality of life issues as well. Who in the hell wants to listen to some idiot neighbor blasting their gun?

I wonder if the other states you mention have the power to remove elected officials from office if their municipality sets and enforces their own rules?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

Jeez, I should have read the fine print before we moved here.

l
Better warn your friends and relatives not to move here, if they don't like guns!!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Better warn your friends and relatives not to move here, if they don't like guns!!!!
Exactly! You can tell by the creepy posters what this state is all about.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It, like many other Florida laws is idiotic. Someone has already been killed. You should not have to live in a deed restricted community to avoid being hit during some yahoo's gun practice. It seems that you could complain based on the noise, but the law is so restrictive--I do not know if the cops are even allowed to interfere. Now that other yahoos are aware of the law, the backyard gun ranges are springing up all over. The governor could not care less, of course. Jeez--aren't people even worried about letting their kids play in the backyard? There is a lot of outrage over this spreading, so hopefully sanity will prevail. Either that, or a wrongful death lawsuit might make backyard gun nuts think twice.

Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State' | Reuters
It's just the price citizens of Florida have to pay so the Casper Milquetoast types can feel more secure.

I find it ironic (but totally expected) those who constantly rail against so-called Federal overreach have no problem with the State telling independent municipalities they can't ban some dope from setting up a shooting gallery in a residential neighborhood. This is just one more example of the scores of laws passed recently with the intent of consolidating power in Tallahassee and weakening local control in cities and counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida