Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Then get out there and do something to change it.
I am, and creating dialogue to support it. You should think about trying to help as well, versus distorting from the reality if you like Florida so much. So many on this forum love to shake the pom-poms about how terrific life in Florida is, without shedding light on some unattractive features as well, which I find a great disservice to those who may want to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:05 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't make single digits per hour and thankfully have a decent salary by national standards. I have chosen to not take the typical Floridian's approach to issues by sticking your head in the ground and pretending they don't exist. Ignoring the issues or moving away doesn't solve anything.
Nor does trying to change the inherent oversupply of labor in certain areas. FL is a desirable state to move to.... that can end up driving down the price of labor for those who are unskilled/low skilled, period

Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Nor does trying to change the inherent oversupply of labor in certain areas. FL is a desirable state to move to.... that can end up driving down the price of labor for those who are unskilled/low skilled, period
However if we were to attempt more a aggressive transition to a diverse economy by luring non-service sector employers to the state (via incentives that GA, SC and AL seem to be much more adept at offering) we could change the perception from a dumping ground for many of those unemployable elsewhere. The unskilled/low-skilled move here because there's a plethora of such jobs and a misguided perception that's it cheap to live here. We need to work toward change of that perception with strong leadership in state government that's not in it for themselves or a select few. The candidates are out there, they'd be the ones without significant corporate/ special interest endorsements and very little campaign dollars.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I guess you are rather oblivious to what has been happening around you. It seems some of you who have nothing to talk about besides low paying "service industry" and "tourism" jobs look outside of your very narrow viewpoints and range of knowledge. Stop wallowing in your sorrow. That is what caused you all to fail in the first place. Being narrow minded.

Just read what is happening recently. Surely few of you haters are going to read this information and stick to your outdated and incorrect thinking, but that is your problem. However, if you do look at this information you will get an idea why people are flocking here. I tried to get some discussion going on this with the haters but they dont answer questions, they just wallow.

Enterprise Florida | The Official Economic Development Organization for the State of Florida

Alachua County to Mirror Innovation Hub | WUFT News

Regional councils unveil new economic development tools | News-JournalOnline.com

Research Park At Florida Atlantic University Reports Another Year Of Record Growth | The Boca Raton Tribune | Your Boca Raton Newspaper| Your Boca Raton News Provider

Lockheed Martin Plans $80 Million Expansion At Its Orlando, Florida, Mission Systems and Training Center - Area Development

Northrop Grumman dedicates $100M plant expansion, which will increase workforce - Jacksonville Business Journal

Northrop Grumman dedicates $100M plant expansion, which will increase workforce - Jacksonville Business Journal

April 15 Highlights Florida's Advantages Over High-Tax States - Top News - InsuranceNewsNet.com

April 15 Highlights Florida's Advantages Over High-Tax States - Top News - InsuranceNewsNet.com

SHL Pharma Plans $6 Million Renovation-Expansion At Its Deerfield Beach, Florida, Production Facility - Area Development

Miami’s economy outpacing rest of Southeast - Business - MiamiHerald.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
However if we were to attempt more a aggressive transition to a diverse economy by luring non-service sector employers to the state (via incentives that GA, SC and AL seem to be much more adept at offering) we could change the perception from a dumping ground for many of those unemployable elsewhere. The unskilled/low-skilled move here because there's a plethora of such jobs and a misguided perception that's it cheap to live here. We need to work toward change of that perception with strong leadership in state government that's not in it for themselves or a select few. The candidates are out there, they'd be the ones without significant corporate/ special interest endorsements and very little campaign dollars.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
...Indeed the surge in lawyers has weakened the profession. It has created a whole lot of "car accident firms" who do nothing but represent those involved in auto accidents in order to pull out the 33 percent on each settlement. It is simply "no brainer law".
Oh - soft tissue injury auto accident lawyers have been around almost forever. Nothing new about them. Also note that contingent fees today range from higher to lower percentages based on settlement/recovery amounts. It's not a flat third. Robyn

Old 04-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
...'Yes, indeed a national thing. The governor and various boards, committees and commissions can only offer so much in the way of incentives to get companies to relocate here but it is happening. Hertz is moving their national operations to FL. Quite a few financial firms and private equity and hedge funds, are leaving NYC due to the city and state tax rates, not to mention rents for office space, are relocating to Florida, specifcally, Palm Beach County. Cancer Treatment Centers of America announced their move from Chicago to FL. Adecco, a staffing agency, is leaving Long Island NY and moving HQ to Jacksonville this year...
There's sure more of that these days. Especially as telecommunications/telecommuting becomes more popular.

It honestly isn't too hard to get a "boss/employer" who might wind up with 100-200 employees interested in Ponte Vedra Beach/metro JAX - especially if he/she plays golf. The prices are relatively low (even by Florida standards) - the schools are good - there's plenty of nice fairly new office space within reasonable commuting distances of nicer places to live - the traffic isn't awful - and the weather is fine assuming you don't mind cool winters. It would be pretty hard to staff an office with 3000 employees from scratch here - but 30-300 is very doable.

When Fidelity (the brokerage firm) opened up here a few years back - it didn't have any problems enticing Fidelity people to move here from New Hampshire. Ditto with some other companies. People don't mind earning a little less money here because the cost of living is lower/a lot lower than many places up north. The big issue in this area is that although many suburbs are doing ok ---> great - downtown JAX is basically in the toilet. There are still people fighting for downtown JAX - but I think it will be a losing battle at least for the next decade or so.

Of course - we're different than Orlando - Miami - Tampa and many other parts of Florida. We don't tend to attract the kind of people who just want warm weather all the time. We don't attract a lot of Spanish speaking immigrants (although we are getting a fairly large number of immigrants from eastern Europe these days - I don't have a clue why). We don't attract a lot of retirees. I think if we had something like "take a boss/employer to try golf here" program - this area could really take off . Robyn

Old 04-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Robyn, there are plenty of people who hide behind the internet curtain and talk the talk. The reality for most of them is that they don't have a job or dime to their name and like to give advice as someone who is really doing"well" in Florida.
Just FWIW - I think it's good when people identify about where they live. Like best I can figure out - you lived (or lived recently) in the Orlando area (although we have 2 Johns Creeks in my metro area - and there are probably dozens all over the place). I think that Florida can be like the blind guys and the elephant:

In various versions of the tale, a group of blind men (or men in the dark) touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one feels a different part, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then compare notes and learn that they are in complete disagreement. The stories differ primarily in how the elephant's body parts are described, how violent the conflict becomes and how (or if) the conflict among the men and their perspectives is resolved.
In some versions, they stop talking, start listening and collaborate to "see" the full elephant. When a sighted man walks by and sees the entire elephant all at once, they also learn they are blind. While one's subjective experience is true, it may not be the totality of truth.

Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We all see different parts of the state geographically. Different aspects of the state as well - like varying demographics. I have perhaps seen more than most. Since I've lived in both north and south Florida - and done everything from working at legal services in Miami to having a statewide law practice to playing golf at TPC Sawgrass. But that sure doesn't make me an expert about most of the state - much less all of it. Especially since all of this took place over the course of 4+ decades. Robyn

Old 04-19-2014, 04:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Oh - soft tissue injury auto accident lawyers have been around almost forever. Nothing new about them. Also note that contingent fees today range from higher to lower percentages based on settlement/recovery amounts. It's not a flat third. Robyn
When did this change???

RULE 4-1.5 FEES AND COSTS FOR LEGAL SERVICES

(B) The contract for representation of a client in a matter set forth in subdivision (f)(4) may provide for a contingent fee arrangement as agreed upon by the client and the lawyer, except as limited by the following provisions:

(i) Without prior court approval as specified below, any contingent fee that exceeds the following standards shall be presumed, unless rebutted, to be clearly excessive:

a. Before the filing of an answer or the demand for appointment of arbitrators or, if no answer is filed or no demand for appointment of arbitrators is made, the expiration of the time period provided for such action:

1. 33 1/3% of any recovery up to $1 million; plus
2. 30% of any portion of the recovery between $1 million and $2 million; plus
3. 20% of any portion of the recovery exceeding $2 million.

b. After the filing of an answer or the demand for appointment of arbitrators or, if no answer is filed or no demand for appointment of arbitrators is made, the expiration of the time period provided for such action, through the entry of judgment:

1. 40% of any recovery up to $1 million; plus
2. 30% of any portion of the recovery between $1 million and $2 million; plus
3. 20% of any portion of the recovery exceeding $2 million.

c. If all defendants admit liability at the time of filing their answers and request a trial only on damages:

1. 33 1/3% of any recovery up to $1 million; plus
2. 20% of any portion of the recovery between $1 million and $2 million; plus
3. 15% of any portion of the recovery exceeding $2 million.

d. An additional 5% of any recovery after institution of any appellate proceeding is filed or post-judgment relief or action is required for recovery on the judgment.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Lots of people - like people in financial services. All the markets were closed yesterday. The Florida court system was pretty much shut down too. Also - I don't know about other parts of the state - but the weather up here was miserable yesterday (a ton of rain). Good day to stay inside! Robyn
It seems like everything stays open these days. I even got mail yesterday up here in Chicago.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Just FWIW - I think it's good when people identify about where they live. Like best I can figure out - you lived (or lived recently) in the Orlando area (although we have 2 Johns Creeks in my metro area - and there are probably dozens all over the place). I think that Florida can be like the blind guys and the elephant:

In various versions of the tale, a group of blind men (or men in the dark) touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one feels a different part, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then compare notes and learn that they are in complete disagreement. The stories differ primarily in how the elephant's body parts are described, how violent the conflict becomes and how (or if) the conflict among the men and their perspectives is resolved.
In some versions, they stop talking, start listening and collaborate to "see" the full elephant. When a sighted man walks by and sees the entire elephant all at once, they also learn they are blind. While one's subjective experience is true, it may not be the totality of truth.

Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We all see different parts of the state geographically. Different aspects of the state as well - like varying demographics. I have perhaps seen more than most. Since I've lived in both north and south Florida - and done everything from working at legal services in Miami to having a statewide law practice to playing golf at TPC Sawgrass. But that sure doesn't make me an expert about most of the state - much less all of it. Especially since all of this took place over the course of 4+ decades. Robyn
So true Robyn ... you are correct - I lived in Orlando for 17 years and hated it for most of the time I was there. Too many shady contractors, bad neighbors, sexual predators, golddiggers, attitude and too few professional folks. I don't find the same here in north Atlanta. Much more family oriented, great schools, abundance of kid's activities, and civility abounds. We couldn't be happier. Now just because I didn't take to Orlando doesn't mean I don't enjoy other parts of Florida, i.e. St. Pete, Sarasota/Siesta Key, Ponte Vedra, Naples, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida