U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,517,964 times

Advertisements

My husband is already retired, and I hope to join him in that happy state in a year or two.

Were New Jersey born and bred, but have had it with the cold and snow, and being cooped up in the house for at least 5 months out of the year. We want to move south at some point soon after I retire. Currently, were thinking about (in order) Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida.

So weve started to look into our options. We currently live in north Jersey, just outside NYC, so were used to a high cost of living something wed like to be able to avoid in retirement. We currently have a smallish home a 5-room ranch on a 50 x 100 lot that currently costs $8K a year in property taxes (theyve more than doubled in the 16 years weve owned it -- ouch). No kids, so we dont care about the school system, but we have 4 dogs and 4 birds, so we want to live somewhere thats animal-friendly.

We dont need a large home, but wed like one with a some property around it so were not on top of our next-door neighbors. We also love to garden, which ties into the desire for a home with property around it. Were looking for a stand-alone home rather than one in a community.

Amenities? Were not much for nightlife (were up with the birds, usually), but were used to easy access to shopping, so wed like to be close to shopping centers (hi my name is Kathy and Im a Barnes and Noble addict). The practical side of me would like to be close to a good hospital, too. Im not looking to work full-time after I retire, but would like the option of working part-time if necessary (perhaps in the aforementioned B&N).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,742,710 times
You may want to check out the Ocala area. Pretty low cost of living, and for not much you can get a home on acreage. Seemed like a quiet relaxed place last time I was up there. Didn't have much time to check out shopping centers but I'm sure there are plenty.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:28 PM

548 posts, read 391,745 times
Sounds like you are describing Jupiter Farms in Palm Beach County. It is 6 miles inland, lots 1.25-2.5 acres, very animal friendly. Yet close to great hospitals and restaurants. A good number of NE transplants in the area.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 AM

282 posts, read 898,407 times
My husband and I just bought a nice house on a lake in Cape Coral for only $135,000. We liked it there and the people seem very friendly. There are a ton of houses for sale and the house we bought was originally listed for $199,000 and they took our offer right away. Another thing we liked is Cape Coral is farther south so we will have warm weather year round.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,271,686 times
Default a place to retire

There are many nice areas for your consideration. Winter Haven, and some towns down there are very pretty and affordable, all the way to Lakeland and up to Davenport. that would keep you in a fairly short distnace of the events in Orlando. On the Northe side is Deltona, Mt Dora, and a few others. There are some great places to warm yourself after the Northern winters. Come on down the weather is great.
:-)

Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM

888 posts, read 1,343,460 times
If you want land, stay away from either coast. most of the houses are on 1/10 acre. The further inland-the more land and the hotter it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida