U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why do you like Asheville so much? It reminded me of everything I didn't like about Florida. I'm not sure if I'd even like Charlotte. Raleigh is a gem, IMO.

the people, the food choices, the culture (mix of southern and hipster). its very liberal, which i'm not, but that aside, all the stuff i just mentioned plus the scenery, the architecture, everything. its a little bit grungy. i love the vibe. everyone's so friendly. its busy, but not too busy.

i think it is TOTALLY opposite of FL. if AVL reminded me of FL, i wouldn't love AVL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 PM

justNancy lives around AVL i think. I bet she will agree that AVL is nothing (to us) like FL.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Greenville SC. Asheville NC.

what part of FL is she wanting to be in?
Folks are in S Lakeland, so that area.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:37 PM

790 posts, read 1,463,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I know what you mean. People were so much more refined when a woman accused of committing adultery was buried up to her shoulders and stoned to death. How about those cultured people who drowned women suspected of being witches or burned them alive? Don't forget drawing & quartering or hangings in the town square.

Yup, let's go back to the good old days!
No need to be such a snarky cynic. I'm talking 20-30 years ago.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,850,755 times
Quote:
justNancy lives around AVL i think. I bet she will agree that AVL is nothing (to us) like FL.
Please don't get me in the middle of your "let's bash Florida" rant. (BTW, I do not live near Asheville.)

Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 AM

422 posts, read 301,122 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. People were so much more refined when a woman accused of committing adultery was buried up to her shoulders and stoned to death. How about those cultured people who drowned women suspected of being witches or burned them alive? Don't forget drawing & quartering or hangings in the town square.

Yup, let's go back to the good old days!
oh please, at least people werent being stabbed for minor fender benders. Back in the old days (pre 1960s) if you did something like rape a child you were ostracized from your community, now they just move to Florida

Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Please don't get me in the middle of your "let's bash Florida" rant. (BTW, I do not live near Asheville.)
Must've had you confused with someone else!

I'm not bashing FL. Ppl seem to think if you mention other places that are better to live in that its bashing. PDF mentioned AVL is too much like FL for him to like it, and I think they're completely opposite of eachother. It isnt a matter of bashing, its a matter of comparison.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:44 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,042,167 times
StreetSmarts, today I saw a car with North Carolina plates and one of them PR flag stickers on it.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:47 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,850,755 times
Quote:
Must've had you confused with someone else!

I'm not bashing FL. Ppl seem to think if you mention other places that are better to live in that its bashing. PDF mentioned AVL is too much like FL for him to like it, and I think they're completely opposite of eachother. It isnt a matter of bashing, its a matter of comparison.
Talking about other members in a post is a violation of the City-Data rules. Where I do or do not live is irrelevant. If you have an opinion, that's fine. Writing that "I bet she will agree that...." is inappropriate, especially when I'm not even part of the conversation. I did not report your post. I only asked you to let me write my own opinions and you write yours. That's just the way it works.

There will always be people complaining about Florida, since there are close to 20 million residents and millions of tourists, transients and part-time residents who don't claim FL as their primary residence. At the end of 2014, Florida took New York's place as the 3rd most populous state.

I do agree that there are a lot of horrific crimes in the news, and many of them are committed in Florida, but I lived in Southwest FL for over 20 years and never felt unsafe. Even where I'm staying now, a small rural town in the Smoky Mountains, one's personal safety depends on the city and the neighborhood. Crime can also be very random. One of the worst crimes in recent history that I recall was when 2 men tortured, raped and set fire to a family in a safe, upscale area of CT. In fact, the worst mass shooting was in an elementary school in a wealthy CT town. Does that mean Connecticut is a dangerous state full of cuckoos? Of course not.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:25 PM

9,659 posts, read 6,959,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Forget it. My plans to move to Florida are cancelled.
Time to start stalking the Carolina forums...
Good! One down, about five million to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida