Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I shouldn't be perceived as a FL basher, because there is plenty I stick up for.

But the aggressive nature of the people and the "me" attitude seems to be a lot more than what I like or am used to. I will say that being in Oviedo and not the Avalon Pk area is a nice breath of fresh air.

Ps- I dont blame the tourists for the road rage and craziness on the roads. I blame people that live here, accustomed to the "me" attitudes, who have a bit of a loose screw.
Are you sure that's just in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
See all you guys in the Carolina's in 7-10 yrs
We have no plans to move out of Florida...

Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Are you sure that's just in Florida?
Maybe you should take a long trip out of FL and see the difference.

A few months ago I took a road trip through GA, SC, and NC. What a difference in manners and courteous behavior.

People said hello, smiled, and in general were much nicer.

I am not saying there aren't people in FL who have manners(of course there are), but it was difficult not to notice the difference in stores and restaurants in GA, SC, and NC compared to FL.

Much nicer, and it makes life more pleasant.

See when you move from up north to states like GA, TN, NC the locals aren't going to tolerate the NY/NJ attitude, you want to live here, you need to calm down and learn some manners. It is more of a "when in Rome do what the Romans do" attitude. Fit in or don't stay.

The problem with FL is people are from all over, the natives are way outnumbered and rude behavior now has become the norm.

I can't speak for Northern FL or the Panhandle, but most of FL is the "land of me first". It becomes draining and you start to dislike people.

I used to think the FL natives had a chip on their shoulder, than I started to realize they had a point.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
When I returned to Floriduh, I was impressed at how happy most of the people seemed to be. Polite and cheerful store clerks seemed more plentiful here than elsewhere (with some exceptions, of course). Mechanics, preachers, postal workers, neighbors, and strangers were all sincerely friendly.

But it seems they changed personalities when they got into their vehicles!

Whether lifted trucks demonstrating no fear of collisions,
or ratty little ricers with fartcans,
or overpriced little sedans, immature little children with their toy race-cars,
tailgating and swerving from lane to lane, passing within intersections and at stoplights, desperately fighting to gain half a car length by the next traffic light.
Another noticeable difference between these Floriduh drivers and normal drivers in the rest of the country is failure to stop at stop signs; that white stripe is there for a reason! Nevertheless, they continue past the sign and stick their front bumper over the gutter, dangerously close to passing traffic as if by butting out they can stop somebody. The worst of these passive-aggressive Floridoobers speeds past the stop sign and jams on the brake at the last minute, hoping to cause someone to swerve out of the right lane.

How often have you slowly passed someone who fought hard to pass you mere seconds earlier? If he was sincerely in a hurry, why did he then slow down? No reason, just a Floriduh driver, with or without no-fault insurance.

After fighting to beat somebody out of a parking space which is 4 steps closer to the door, they seem to calm down as they walk across the parking lot and become human again away from their cars.

Both courtesy and aggression are contagious, just not at the same time. Every Floriduh driver needs to visit the real world once in a while to notice the difference.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
seain dublin... was the daycare crash a road rage incident or was the guy just driving like an idiot and lost control?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe you should take a long trip out of FL and see the difference.

A few months ago I took a road trip through GA, SC, and NC. What a difference in manners and courteous behavior.

People said hello, smiled, and in general were much nicer.

I am not saying there aren't people in FL who have manners(of course there are), but it was difficult not to notice the difference in stores and restaurants in GA, SC, and NC compared to FL.

Much nicer, and it makes life more pleasant.

See when you move from up north to states like GA, TN, NC the locals aren't going to tolerate the NY/NJ attitude, you want to live here, you need to calm down and learn some manners. It is more of a "when in Rome do what the Romans do" attitude. Fit in or don't stay.

The problem with FL is people are from all over, the natives are way outnumbered and rude behavior now has become the norm.

I can't speak for Northern FL or the Panhandle, but most of FL is the "land of me first". It becomes draining and you start to dislike people.

I used to think the FL natives had a chip on their shoulder, than I started to realize they had a point.
Been there, done that, read the book, watched the movie. And while I'd have to agree with you regarding the innate courtesy of the folks in the southern states of GA ( except for one little town we stayed in, the name of which eludes me; those folks were as unwelcoming and rude as anyone I've ever met), NC, SC, TN, KY, there's no shortage of that rudeness you speak of in NY, and some of the other northeast states. And I believe the "Me First" attitude accompanied by overt rudeness is pervasive ( I don't know where you've been) attitude symptomatic of our instant gratification, must have latest and greatest right now, society where consequences for ones' actions are few and personal responsibility is a foreign concept. But that's another whole can of worms, and thank goodness there are some folks who don't live like that. And if there are areas of the country which have not yet succumbed to this mentality, including brutality towards their fellow man, let's hope that they will be able to keep it that way. Perhaps, given that you suggest it's been strangers from outside who have ruined Florida, the folks from those other states can keep the same from happening by not allowing outsiders who don't share their values and perspectives out of their state, eh?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Been there, done that, read the book, watched the movie. And while I'd have to agree with you regarding the innate courtesy of the folks in the southern states of GA ( except for one little town we stayed in, the name of which eludes me; those folks were as unwelcoming and rude as anyone I've ever met), NC, SC, TN, KY, there's no shortage of that rudeness you speak of in NY, and some of the other northeast states. And I believe the "Me First" attitude accompanied by overt rudeness is pervasive ( I don't know where you've been) attitude symptomatic of our instant gratification, must have latest and greatest right now, society where consequences for ones' actions are few and personal responsibility is a foreign concept. But that's another whole can of worms, and thank goodness there are some folks who don't live like that. And if there are areas of the country which have not yet succumbed to this mentality, including brutality towards their fellow man, let's hope that they will be able to keep it that way. Perhaps, given that you suggest it's been strangers from outside who have ruined Florida, the folks from those other states can keep the same from happening by not allowing outsiders who don't share their values and perspectives out of their state, eh?
Sorry, completely disagree.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry, completely disagree.
Then you haven't been to NY and some of those other northeastern states.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM

I'm sorry, I read what you said wrong. I thought you were suggesting that NC/SC/GA/TN has as much of the rudeness you speak of in NY. My bad.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Back to topic, all I've been hearing this week (and I have to admit I dont watch a lot of national news) is the teacher/student relationship in Lakeland and the guy in Jax who kicked his kid down to ramp at the skate park. Both those national news now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida