Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:42 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,783,190 times

Advertisements

Ever have a yen for Japanese pizza?

10 crazy pizzas from*Japan | RocketNews24

But if you crave Florida Style Pizza, you'll have to go to Philadelphia:

Florida Style Pizza - Philadelphia, PA | Yelp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times
Ok, I was under the impression that the only real pizza, comes from NY. Every other style or place of origin is worthless. Am I wrong?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,015,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Ok, I was under the impression that the only real pizza, comes from NY. Every other style or place of origin is worthless. Am I wrong?
Well, yeah, sort of. Pizza, as we know it today came from Italy where it was sold as "tomato pie". In Italian it is "Abeets". The original pizza didnt have as much cheese as NY pizza has today. It wasnt made into a round pie and it was not cut into slices. It was served at room temperature, not hot out of the oven.

NY style is directly related to Italian (neapolitan) pizza. A fellow named Gennaro Lombardi started selling it in what became "Little Italy" in lower Manhattan in the early 1900's. Lombardi had the first licensed "pizzeria" (still in business today in Little Italy).

Antonio Totonno Pero worked for Lombardi as a pizza maker. Pero moved to Coney Island, Brooklyn NY and opened Totonno's in Coney Island (still in business today). Totonno's is one a very few pizzerias that still use a coal fired brick oven that gives the pizza a flavor that cannot be replicated. There are a few pizzeria's from way back when left in NYC.

I believe the place to have the highest rated pizza in NYC is a little neighborhood place called "DiFara's"
DiFara's uses only the finest ingredients in his pizza. He cuts the basil with a pair of scissors. He grows some of his own herbs and peppers in the store. The rest is imported. Last time I was there I waited 75 minutes for a slice of his pizza (3 actually) at $5.00 a slice. Di Fara's is owned and operated by Domenico DeMarco. He gets closed down by the NYC Dept of Health a lot due to his not exacting cleanliness of his store.

Over the years NYC pizza took twists and turns and is now a bit different than it was at the turn of the 20th century.

So, to answer your question, the pizza in places other than the Northeast United States is much different and far far removed from the original. Pizza outside of the Northeast is far removed from what is known as NY style pizza of today.

If you go to New Haven Ct, you can find the original Tomato Pie "abeets". That is the closest thing to the pizza brought over from Italy.

California pizza, pizza hut, et al is a very watered down version of the original pizzas. Maybe you have to be Italian to really understand. More probably you just need to be a New Yorker.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Well, yeah, sort of. Pizza, as we know it today came from Italy where it was sold as "tomato pie". In Italian it is "Abeets". .
As we know it today.

But originally it was Chinese, until Marco Polo brought some back, along with Lo Mein noodles which later became known as pasta.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 AM

emm... tomatoes are from south america ... not china. But yeah, I agree on the noodles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
As we know it today.

But originally it was Chinese, until Marco Polo brought some back, along with Lo Mein noodles which later became known as pasta.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 AM

437 posts, read 544,927 times
Default More crazy stuff in central florida that just happened

Here's some more stuff that just happened in the last 2 or 3 days...can you honestly tell me there's this much crazy stuff per capita in 90% of places in america? Keep in mind I never ever look at south florida news or jacksonville news or anything in the panhandle...pretty much just the hillsborough, pinellas, pasco, hernando, citrus,lake, sumter area and sometimes all the way to volusia so I don't see the majority of the states stuff anyway.

car hits brooksville house, driver drives off
Car hits Brooksville house, driver takes off

car smashes through st pete china wok(why does this kinda thing seem to happen a lot in florida??)
Car smashes through St. Pete China Wok

rabies alert in pasco(was already in ocala earlier this week)...seriously a rabies alert?? Never seen one of those before this
Boundaries stretched for rabies alert in southeast Pasco

bomb threats lock down 3 orlando schools
Bomb threats briefly lock down 3 schools in Orlando, Florida

bomb threats in new tampa locks down 2 schools (why so many random bomb threats?? wtf?)
Bomb threat puts 2 New Tampa schools on lockdown for an hour

ormond beach woman shoots husband dead in own home, no charges filed
No charges expected against woman who shot husband | Volusia County

sanford man charged with shaking his girlfriends baby to death
Florida man charged with shaking girlfriend's baby to death | Sanford

daytona teens attack an 89 year old woman with a brick after she lets him in her house to use the bathroom
Police: Teens attacked elderly woman with a rock in Daytona Beach

poinciana teen stabs another teen over facebook post
Teen stabs another teen over Facebook post | Osceola County

palm coast man kills his mother after she "told him to kill her"
Man arrested, said mother told him to kill her | Flagler County

2 st pete women in their 20s ram their car into a 61 year old womans car, get out and beat her
Police: Two women attack driver in road-rage incident

mount dora angry woman comes into store, punches at the clerk and threatens to kill him and another family. (I've been to this store before)
Angry customer trashes store, throws punch

deltona 13 year old shot in eye during drive bye pellett gun shooting by random people
Pellet gun drive-by seriously injures Deltona teen | Volusia County

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Outrage as ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran | Mail Online

Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Florida crazy? obviously a matter of perspective..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-4...ned-in-florida

A few Florida laws to abide by.
http://www.stupidlaws.com/laws/united-states/florida/

Old 04-24-2014, 09:51 AM

If you limit your research to only Central Fl you're going to be convinced it only happens in Central FL.

You've never seen a rabies alert? Where have you been hiding? Rabies, in the US is mostly found in the NE.

If you Google "car crashes into store" you will see, guess what?, it happens everywhere.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._QIB4u3hNRq05A

It is odd to me what you consider to be "weird" news.

You need more exposure to the rest of the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
Here's some more stuff that just happened in the last 2 or 3 days...can you honestly tell me there's this much crazy stuff per capita in 90% of places in america? Keep in mind I never ever look at south florida news or jacksonville news or anything in the panhandle...pretty much just the hillsborough, pinellas, pasco, hernando, citrus,lake, sumter area and sometimes all the way to volusia so I don't see the majority of the states stuff anyway.

car hits brooksville house, driver drives off
Car hits Brooksville house, driver takes off

car smashes through st pete china wok(why does this kinda thing seem to happen a lot in florida??)
Car smashes through St. Pete China Wok

rabies alert in pasco(was already in ocala earlier this week)...seriously a rabies alert?? Never seen one of those before this
Boundaries stretched for rabies alert in southeast Pasco

bomb threats lock down 3 orlando schools
Bomb threats briefly lock down 3 schools in Orlando, Florida

bomb threats in new tampa locks down 2 schools (why so many random bomb threats?? wtf?)
Bomb threat puts 2 New Tampa schools on lockdown for an hour

ormond beach woman shoots husband dead in own home, no charges filed
No charges expected against woman who shot husband | Volusia County

sanford man charged with shaking his girlfriends baby to death
Florida man charged with shaking girlfriend's baby to death | Sanford

daytona teens attack an 89 year old woman with a brick after she lets him in her house to use the bathroom
Police: Teens attacked elderly woman with a rock in Daytona Beach

poinciana teen stabs another teen over facebook post
Teen stabs another teen over Facebook post | Osceola County

palm coast man kills his mother after she "told him to kill her"
Man arrested, said mother told him to kill her | Flagler County

2 st pete women in their 20s ram their car into a 61 year old womans car, get out and beat her
Police: Two women attack driver in road-rage incident

mount dora angry woman comes into store, punches at the clerk and threatens to kill him and another family. (I've been to this store before)
Angry customer trashes store, throws punch

deltona 13 year old shot in eye during drive bye pellett gun shooting by random people
Pellet gun drive-by seriously injures Deltona teen | Volusia County

Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,159,330 times
Seattle: "Ten of the animal skulls were spread across the lawn and two were placed on a porch—one was left on a chair,” Seattle Police explained. “The skulls appeared freshly skinned and still bloody. Police do not currently believe the skulls belonged to any animals typically kept as household pets.”

https://roadtrippers.com/blog/police...mal-sacrifices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida