Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times

Advertisements

Hi I currently qualify for low income housing but here in Orlando there is a long waiting list, I have heard that other in other Florida cities it is easier to get into low cost housing more quickly. Does anyone have advice on which cities are best for quickly getting into safe clean subsidized housing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Any city with a better job for you will help much better than a city with subsidized housing. Please, save our taxes.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:19 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Any city with a better job for you will help much better than a city with subsidized housing. Please, save our taxes.
Just an FYI, it's quite possible the OP is on disability of some form which would make the "better job" scenario most likely out of the question. Believe it or not a large majority of those receiving assistance are eligible despite the conservative talking heads on TV who would lead you to believe otherwise...if gullible enough anyway.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just an FYI, it's quite possible the OP is on disability of some form which would make the "better job" scenario most likely out of the question. Believe it or not a large majority of those receiving assistance are eligible despite the conservative talking heads on TV who would lead you to believe otherwise...if gullible enough anyway.
Thank you for sticking up for me . Yes I do have social security disability. I am happy to say that I have won my fight with cancer, but I still do have some health issues to overcome . I have very little income from disability and do not qualify for normal apartments . In Orlando there is a long waiting list for subsidized housing. I have heard smaller towns in other counties may have a shorter waiting list or none at all. I was hoping someone had some experience with this.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you for sticking up for me . Yes I do have social security disability. I am happy to say that I have won my fight with cancer, but I still do have some health issues to overcome . I have very little income from disability and do not qualify for normal apartments . In Orlando there is a long waiting list for subsidized housing. I have heard smaller towns in other counties may have a shorter waiting list or none at all. I was hoping someone had some experience with this.
If you want cheap housing close to Orlando, check out highlands county... Avon Park, Sebring etc. About an hour and ten mins away.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If you want cheap housing close to Orlando, check out highlands county... Avon Park, Sebring etc. About an hour and ten mins away.

Thank you I will definitely check it out. I do not necessarily have to be near Orlando. I would be willing to relocate even though my doctors are here.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I agree plus would add Hardee County and Desoto County, which are to the west of Highlands County. Arcadia, Wauchula, Bowling Green and Zolfo Springs are the main towns which are about 45 minutes to an hour from the Sarasota/Bradenton area.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree plus would add Hardee County and Desoto County, which are to the west of Highlands County. Arcadia, Wauchula, Bowling Green and Zolfo Springs are the main towns which are about 45 minutes to an hour from the Sarasota/Bradenton area.
Thanks I will look into these. Do you know if they have any bus transportation? My car has high mileage and I worry about having car problems. so I like the idea of either living walking distance to food stores and such or having a bus service available if I need it.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thanks I will look into these. Do you know if they have any bus transportation? My car has high mileage and I worry about having car problems. so I like the idea of either living walking distance to food stores and such or having a bus service available if I need it.
All three counties have a "ride service" you would be eligible for with disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida